follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2017, 06:06 PM   #239
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevesnj View Post
Since it's a TSB I don't think it matters the status of your warranty. Hmmm, @Tcoat you know?
TSB is just a service bulletin on how to fix an issue not a recall or even really an acknowledgment that there is such an issue. Cars out of warranty are not eligible for the work to be done.

However...

Many of the better dealers will indeed perform TSB work on a car out of warranty.

But...

This is a costly repair and I doubt many will do it since they would not get paid by Toyota or Subaru.

Still...

If out of warranty still worth asking your dealer since they may do it (especially if you had a complaint on record before your warranty running out). The worst case scenario is they say no.
stevesnj (01-10-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 06:10 PM   #240
AirWick

Drives: 2016 Halo Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
NEW FUEL PUMP RELEASED....

Bringing in mine to Longo Toyota tomorrow for the inspection... hopefully everything goes smooth. So far it seems like it should be...
Old 01-09-2017, 06:59 PM   #241
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,938 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
....Many of the better dealers will indeed perform TSB work on a car out of warranty..
Just more proof that the Toyota dealers in Atlanta suck. My dealer wouldn't perform the tail-light TSB even though the car was only just past warranty when it "cried" the first time. Toyota Corporate basically said "yea, tough luck on that one" as well.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-09-2017)
Old 01-09-2017, 07:54 PM   #242
KalbiCool88

Drives: 2005 SLK350, 2015 RS 1.0 FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
If a dealer tries to deny the work getting done for "free", then I would suggest to see if they can do a "good will" for you. Otherwise you can try calling Corporate Customer Relations and I'm sure they will tell the dealer to just do it for you.
KalbiCool88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:14 PM   #243
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalbiCool88 View Post
If a dealer tries to deny the work getting done for "free", then I would suggest to see if they can do a "good will" for you. Otherwise you can try calling Corporate Customer Relations and I'm sure they will tell the dealer to just do it for you.
No, no they will not. If the car is still in warranty they will tell them they need to do it. If the car is out of warranty corporate has no say in the matter and it is totally up to the dealer.
Everybody also needs to keep in mind that if the pump is not chirping when the dealer inspects it they are under zero obligation to change it. They are supposed to actually observe the condition and you saying "it does" or "there is a TSB" does not mean squat if they decide not to. The job done under warranty is paid for by Toyota and easy money for a slow shop so they would likely jump on it. The pump out of warranty or in a busy shop means money out of the dealer's pocket so they would be very reluctant. Either way you have no way to force them to change it if they don't want to as it functions fine and is NOT a recall of any form.
Dadhawk (01-09-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 12:16 AM   #244
N1rve

Drives: 2019 BMW ///M4
Thanked 1,167 Times in 714 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by KalbiCool88 View Post
Not quite... they may have a Toyota DSPM Rep or whatever they call it and check it out and may side with the dealer and say "No we are not going to fix it".

I've had good and bad experiences with going this route. I've had my car inspected 3 times with a Toyota Rep

1) Engine Knock - Dealer Inspected and DSP Inspection and repaired

2) Interior Rattles - Shop Foreman AND DSP Inspected - Will not perform TSBs for rear deck and other rattles as stated by DSP "No Abnormal Noises Heard"

3) Window Seal Deformed - Dealer Inspected and stated "Not Warrantable" advised NO DSP Inspection. Complained to Manager to get DSP Inspection. DSP good willed the repair - for "Customer Satisfaction".

So it's...worth a shot.

2019 BMW ///M4 - Alpine White | Sakhir Orange/Black Leather | M-DCT | Executive Package | 19" Black 437M Wheels | Carbon Fiber Trim | Sunroof | Active Blind Spot | Heated Steering Wheel | Adaptive M Suspension
N1rve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:44 AM   #245
AirWick

Just finished up at Longo Toyota. My 2016 Scion FR-S was denied service because there isnt a TSB out for my car. They verified the chirping but said theres nothing they can do because I have the latest fuel pump released for the car and I just have to bare with the chirping until they do have an updated one. At that point they will replace it for me but they cannot do anything now.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:02 PM   #246
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWick View Post
Just finished up at Longo Toyota. My 2016 Scion FR-S was denied service because there isnt a TSB out for my car. They verified the chirping but said theres nothing they can do because I have the latest fuel pump released for the car and I just have to bare with the chirping until they do have an updated one. At that point they will replace it for me but they cannot do anything now.
There are 17s with the chirps so if you already have the updated pump (some 16s were known to) and it still chirps then there really is nothing they can do about it. I personally am not convinced that the new pump will fix the issue for everybody but we really won't know until it warms up outside.
Dadhawk (01-10-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #247
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
I thought so too but nothing came of it apparently....they are replacing the Fuel Injector in #1 as they 'think' that's the problem. However I'm not so sure....CEL came in on a regular drive on Sunday.
They still haven't changed that? They waiting for parts or something?
Old 01-10-2017, 12:45 PM   #248
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
we really won't know until it warms up outside.
There should be at least someone here in a warm climate who can get it done.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:56 PM   #249
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by phrosty View Post
There should be at least someone here in a warm climate who can get it done.
Ahhh there is but is it warm enough? The variables of who got crickets and who didn't were already large so throwing a new pump into the mix will take a while to sort out just how many it works for. We hear from all the people that complained about crickets but there were also a very large number of people that said they never had them. Could have just been a case that they just never stumbled on the right mix of ethanol and temperature to get them. This could also be the case with some that have had them swapped. Come the hot weather we may find a few retractions of "Got it done and all is good now".
Old 01-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #250
AirWick

I'm pretty sure that if people go for the new fuel pump, it'll still chirp. I'm in California and even on cold days (like this morning when it was pouring) and i still heard my crickets. (Unless you don't count California as "cold" enough for crickets to disappear)

According to Toyota, I have the alleged "updated fuel pump" on my '16 Scion. If this is true, then that means crickets are still a thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to AirWick For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-12-2017)
Old 01-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #251
AirWick

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiroZero713 View Post
Call Toyota Corporate and send them written verification from your Dealer about the chirps. Once this is done they will update the TSB I'm sure to include the 2016s or at least authorize your car the swap.

I'm sorry, I'm not following. Are you saying that I might not have the updated fuel pump even though they claimed that I do?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:47 AM   #252
Khánh

Drives: sc00ter
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWick View Post

damn that sucks.. if you have the updated one, then there's no hope to change out for a newly "revised" pump
Khánh is offline   Reply With Quote