follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 10-30-2023, 05:44 AM   #1
Theodorable

Drives: 2015 Scion Frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Auto Transmission problem (ASAP)

So today I got off work and when I got into my car and put it in drive something just felt off. I didn’t realize until right when I got into the freeway. So what is happening is my car is like stuck in 3rd gear. It won’t shift up or down. I go into manual mode and nothing shows up. Floor shifter and paddles don’t work. I gassed it to see if it would change like it should but it doesn’t. I was cruising home for like 20 min at 70-75mph at like 4000k+ rpms 10mpg cause who knows why the gears are bein this way. No light comes up I hear my motor gasping for air. When at a full stop the car won’t move forward till I put a lot of gas into it and it starts moving but the thing is, it never switched gears I believe. It was always in the same gear. So I don’t know what the problem is I need help and insight Thank you!

Note (I had 2nd gear slip before but I redid the fluid and tipped it off and never had a problem since this was 8 months back) so I know the fluid is brand new and you never really need to change it anyways unless for reasons like slippage so I assume that’s not the problem (trans fluid) that is. But I could be wrong so all help is needed and appreciated!

Last edited by Theodorable; 10-30-2023 at 06:02 AM.
Theodorable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 10:19 PM   #2
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
If these were classic automatics, I’d say it’s low on fluid or has a plugged valve body, but being electronically controlled, it could be a controller issue, solenoid failure, corroded wiring connection, etc, or just incorrect fluid fill.

Check for codes? Find someone local with techstream that can run it through a full diagnostics check?
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 03:31 PM   #3
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theodorable View Post
So today I got off work and when I got into my car and put it in drive something just felt off. I didn’t realize until right when I got into the freeway. So what is happening is my car is like stuck in 3rd gear. It won’t shift up or down. I go into manual mode and nothing shows up. Floor shifter and paddles don’t work. I gassed it to see if it would change like it should but it doesn’t. I was cruising home for like 20 min at 70-75mph at like 4000k+ rpms 10mpg cause who knows why the gears are bein this way. No light comes up I hear my motor gasping for air. When at a full stop the car won’t move forward till I put a lot of gas into it and it starts moving but the thing is, it never switched gears I believe. It was always in the same gear. So I don’t know what the problem is I need help and insight Thank you!

Note (I had 2nd gear slip before but I redid the fluid and tipped it off and never had a problem since this was 8 months back) so I know the fluid is brand new and you never really need to change it anyways unless for reasons like slippage so I assume that’s not the problem (trans fluid) that is. But I could be wrong so all help is needed and appreciated!
That could be electric/controller related. Seems too long from it being the fluid change.

How many miles on the car? Any hard driving?

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2023, 01:44 PM   #4
Theodorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
That could be electric/controller related. Seems too long from it being the fluid change.

How many miles on the car? Any hard driving?
Problem ended up being solenoid s3 decided to not work and they don’t have any replacements in any dealer ships around the country. So I just decided to manual swap my car
The Following User Says Thank You to Theodorable For This Useful Post:
finch1750 (12-20-2023)
Old 12-18-2023, 07:17 PM   #5
pope
has a funny hat

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
It’d be cheaper, easier, and faster to just buy a replacement transmission from a salvage yard.
pope is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pope For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (12-19-2023)
Old 12-19-2023, 02:21 AM   #6
Theodorable

Quote:
Originally Posted by pope View Post
It’d be cheaper, easier, and faster to just buy a replacement transmission from a salvage yard.
Not really bout just getting it fixed. I also missed and wanted to experience this car in manual. So this was a great opportunity to do so!