follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 12-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #71
SomeoneWhoIsntMe

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
That's why 60's and 70's cars come in so many "unique" combinations. For example, I saw a episode of one of the "graveyard" shows where a specific 65 Mustang was technically one of a kind because it was the only "red convertible inline 6" that was built with an electric clock (the clock part is right, the quoted part is probably inaccurate but you get the idea).
The reason why they don't do that anymore is because the car companies started looking into stuff like that, and they realized that it was a huge waste of money to have so many options that they'd sell only one car configured in such a way.

My dad told me a story about working at GM, they were looking into that very thing and they found that they had only built one single buick station wagon (or olds, I'm not sure honestly) with a particular sport handling package... the one they invoiced to themselves to validate the suspension on that car.

Last edited by SomeoneWhoIsntMe; 12-22-2014 at 12:22 PM.
SomeoneWhoIsntMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:21 PM   #72
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneWhoIsntMe View Post
The reason why they don't do that anymore is because the car companies started looking into stuff like that, and they realized that it was a huge waste of money to have so many options that they'd sell only one car configured in such a way.

My dad told me a story about working on GM, they were looking into that very thing and they found that they had only built one single buick station wagon (or olds, I'm not sure honestly) with a particular sport handling package... the one they invoiced to themselves to validate the suspension on that car.
I agree, it had gone a bit too far, and it had to be reigned in. I do stand by that if they are going to offer something though, it should be available on all models if you are willing to order it.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 12:49 PM   #73
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,469 Times in 18,894 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
lol ... Brostang
Old 12-22-2014, 03:18 PM   #74
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Cheapest performance mod for me would be to start riding my bicycle to work and drop 70 lbs.
Not usually what we think of when someone says "driver mod", but it could work.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 04:05 PM   #75
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
I'm buying a bicycle!
Old 12-22-2014, 04:23 PM   #76
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
I'm buying a bicycle!
I haven't forgotten you shaming me about it! I have no excuse.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:21 PM   #77
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergen23 View Post
You realize the point of this car, right? It's a bare bones, no bullshit throwback to the AE86. That car was underpowered, under appreciated yet gained MASSIVE popularity years down the road.

This car is also hardly underpowered, I'd imagine that you aren't a very good driver when it comes to driving a slow car fast. Any tool can get a ferrari to go 200 MPH, but being able to drive a slow car, on a 35MPH road while taking the corners at 60-70MPH, that's what this car is all about. You need to be efficient at using the power to carry speed while you're driving it. You sound like the perfect candidate for a Ford Brostang, maybe you should look into that for your next car.
@Bergen23
I see you're new here and don't know squat about me or most of the people on this forum (if had any clue wtf you're talking about you would not be making mustang comments directed at me). I'm glad you feel smug and superior posting your trite little comments.

Everyone has a right to their own opinions. A lot of people think this car is not perfect and could use a few things. Regardless of your tunnel vision the consensus of many people (including reviewers, experts, journalists, enthusiasts, etc...) think the car needs a little more power.
Does it need 400HP? NO
Does the car suck the way it is? NO if it did I would not own it.
Would it be nice if the car maybe had a 2.5 liter option with say 250HP? Hell yes.
Would that break the bank or dramatically change the car? NO

Please don't go straight to insulting people and try debating.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tennisfreak For This Useful Post:
Koa (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 05:35 PM   #78
themadscientist
Hotlink Terrorist

Drives: 2015 WRB BRZ Spec S
Thanked 2,624 Times in 1,196 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
If my truck pukes it motor before the BRZ comes in I may have to ride my bicycle.
themadscientist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to themadscientist For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 05:46 PM   #79
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
@Bergen23
I see you're new here and don't know squat about me or most of the people on this forum (if had any clue wtf you're talking about you would not be making mustang comments directed at me). I'm glad you feel smug and superior posting your trite little comments.

Everyone has a right to their own opinions. A lot of people think this car is not perfect and could use a few things. Regardless of your tunnel vision the consensus of many people (including reviewers, experts, journalists, enthusiasts, etc...) think the car needs a little more power.
Does it need 400HP? NO
Does the car suck the way it is? NO if it did I would not own it.
Would it be nice if the car maybe had a 2.5 liter option with say 250HP? Hell yes.
Would that break the bank or dramatically change the car? NO

Please don't go straight to insulting people and try debating.
Although I agree, and he is a noob, you have to admit Brostang is funny.

Ok, carry on...