follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 08-29-2019, 06:52 PM   #1
JackRabbit

Drives: '19 Toyota 86, MT, Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I think I found a new hobby

I'm too excited not to post these results...The car is 2 weeks old, has 1300 miles on the ODO, and it was already REALLY grimy from lots of canyon road and freeway driving. I tried the 2-bucket method with ONR last night at home after hosing the car down at a coin-wash, and holy SH**. I had no idea hand-detailing made such a difference. It's hard to describe how shiny and clean it looks in person...It's way better looking than when I bought it from the dealer 2 weeks ago, that's for sure.

I wish I had a good before picture to show you how grimy it got in just 2 weeks, but here's me washing it last night with a headlamp and how it looked when I walked out to it this morning:

This was my first time washing it, and I already feel myself rabbit-holing into detailing, I had no idea how satisfying it would be. Here's the list of products I used:

-ONR wash+wax for the body
-Eagle One glass cleaner
-Simple Green for wheels and wheel wells
-Meguiar's #34 Final Inspection for the interior surfaces/door jams/trunk jam

I know I'm just at the tip of the iceberg in detailing technique and quality, but I just wanted to share the results. It feels so damn good Any advice on maintenance going forward? Next steps if I want to get deeper into detailing?

Last edited by JackRabbit; 08-29-2019 at 06:59 PM. Reason: grammar
JackRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JackRabbit For This Useful Post:
humfrz (08-29-2019), RToyo86 (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 07:02 PM   #2
eastendraceshop

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S & '17 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I LOVE ONR WASH + WAX. Leaves the FRS nice and shiny all the time.

Wash & wax often and she'll look great for a long time!

-Sam

Picture taken after ONR wash + wax waterless wash. 4 year old car, 80k+ miles.
eastendraceshop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eastendraceshop For This Useful Post:
JackRabbit (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 07:05 PM   #3
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
I'm too excited not to post these results...The car is 2 weeks old, has 1300 miles on the ODO, and it was already REALLY grimy from lots of canyon road and freeway driving. I tried the 2-bucket method with ONR last night at home after hosing the car down at a coin-wash, and holy SH**. I had no idea hand-detailing made such a difference. It's hard to describe how shiny and clean it looks in person...It's way better looking than when I bought it from the dealer 2 weeks ago, that's for sure.

I wish I had a good before picture to show you how grimy it got in just 2 weeks, but here's me washing it last night with a headlamp and how it looked when I walked out to it this morning:

This was my first time washing it, and I already feel myself rabbit-holing into detailing, I had no idea how satisfying it would be. Here's the list of products I used:

-ONR wash+wax for the body
-Eagle One glass cleaner
-Simple Green for wheels and wheel wells
-Meguiar's #34 Final Inspection for the interior surfaces/door jams/trunk jam

I know I'm just at the tip of the iceberg in detailing technique and quality, but I just wanted to share the results. It feels so damn good Any advice on maintenance going forward? Next steps if I want to get deeper into detailing?
make sure you have a solid coat of wax, I use mcguires spray wax for years on these cars with great results. If you keep a good coat of wax on, the paint will look great for a long time to come.

Here is some advice, do not use simple green on your wheels unless you have the aircraft grade that is safe to use on aluminum. (wheels and engine block in this car are aluminum).

For the wheels basic soap and water and a scrub brush works great, no need for hardcore chemicals like simple green, which unless you got the aircraft aluminum grade one can erode aluminum. In fact don't use simple green at all until your over 90k.

Tub-O-Towles works great for keeping your engine bay super clean (also works great on wheels and various other parts of the car like exhaust tips) if you do a quick wipe here and there inside the engine bay with that it wont get so gunked up and look new for a long time. The thing about detailing is you need to make sure the products you use are appropriate for the surface you are cleaning, the wrong product for the wrong surface can cause damage.

Also congrats on the car and great choice on the unquestionably best color for the FRS!
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DandoX For This Useful Post:
JackRabbit (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 07:06 PM   #4
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
............….Any advice on maintenance going forward? Next steps if I want to get deeper into detailing?
Your car looks good. Just wash it when you feel it's dirty and wax it a couple times a year.

Oh yes, deeper into detailing - open up the fuel door, I'll betcha there's work to be done there. -

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
JackRabbit (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 07:15 PM   #5
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,167 Times in 1,113 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Good job the car looks good. I suggest some form of UV protection. Wax or sealant.

Because you are already using ONR, check out optimum opti-seal. You can use it as a dry aid when you are drying the car. It is the easiest sealant/wax you'll ever use. One spray per panel, wipe into the paint and it will level it self without needing to be buffed off.

A high quality wash mitt goes a long way. Adams makes one that's inexpensive. If you only wash with ONR check out the big red sponge(BRS).

For wheels I've been using P&S brake buster. It's non acid based and also works as a tire cleaner. For heavier use sonax wheel cleaner is pretty fantastic. I have been using chemical guys VRP on trim, tires and plastics.

I use standard ONR for basic interior cleaning. Diluted 256:1 or 16:1 for the detail spray.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
JackRabbit (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019, 09:22 PM   #6
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastendraceshop View Post
I LOVE ONR WASH + WAX. Leaves the FRS nice and shiny all the time.

Wash & wax often and she'll look great for a long time!

-Sam

Picture taken after ONR wash + wax waterless wash. 4 year old car, 80k+ miles.
The car seriously looks so good for 80k. Better than mine at half the mileage lol just shows how cosmetic maintenance makes a real difference. Inspiring for me
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
eastendraceshop (08-30-2019)