follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-24-2019, 01:50 PM   #1
ReaperBRZ

Drives: 2013 Asphalt Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
E85, hard starting in summer conditions?

So I recently decided to switch back to e85 with the new OFT v4 stage 2 E85 tune. With that being said, for some reason my car hesitates when starting, sometimes even just dieing out on the start up like it did this morning. When the car is warm it starts fine everytime. This only happens after it's been sitting all night and I go to start the next day. It cant be the air temperature because its summer right now. I know E85 tends to have hard starting when cold but I'm just not sure. Any help is surely appreciated.
Invidia N1 Catback w/ Burnt Tips | DC sports overpipe | PLM Catless front pipe | Openflash Performance Tune E85 | Ft86speed UEL decatted header | 20% Tint | Tinted sidemarkers and blacked out side accents | Kazera kzk 18" wheels | Mishimoto CAI tube | 2 8" JBL Subs W/ 800w Rockford Fosgate amp
ReaperBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 04:10 PM   #2
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReaperBRZ View Post
So I recently decided to switch back to e85 with the new OFT v4 stage 2 E85 tune. With that being said, for some reason my car hesitates when starting, sometimes even just dieing out on the start up like it did this morning. When the car is warm it starts fine everytime. This only happens after it's been sitting all night and I go to start the next day. It cant be the air temperature because its summer right now. I know E85 tends to have hard starting when cold but I'm just not sure. Any help is surely appreciated.

Is it possible you had a cold snap one morning? Cold snap as in 72F for example? It’s doesn’t have to be that cold to create problems if the E content is super high as it is in the summer. Around the end of September is where it starts to get finicky for me in Florida because you will have random cool mornings but the blends haven’t switched yet. By the end of October it gets better because they drop the E content. In the coldest months here it may take two cranks at the most.

Speaking of E85. I just filled up this morning at the prices has dropped a good bit. I paid 1.80/gal.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 05:45 PM   #3
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
It needs some cranking table changes to stwrt well, especialky on high ethanol content. Even in summer you need to inject more fuel during cranking on e85 than petrol
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
ReaperBRZ (08-28-2019)

Tags
e85, e85 tune help, engine issue