follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 12-13-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Using RomRaider to edit tunes ( ROM) files OFT and non- OFT

Using Romraider to Edit Modify Tune files

Disclaimer: This information is provided in good faith, however their may be errors or omissions. Use this info at own risk

Tune (ROM) must be in standard binary/hex format ie .bin extension. Complete ROM for BRZ/86 is aprox 1280K bytes long

You Tune ROM (bin/hex) file will have a calibration identifier CALID like ZA1JA01G you will also need a matching definition file RR_ZA1JA01G.xml

The Tune or ROM (bin/hex) is the file to be loaded into your ECU it contains a mixture of program instructions and tune tables.

The Definition file or xml file is the index into the ROM which tells RomRaider (the editor) where to locate the tune tables withing a ROM. The ROM and XML must match else you will alter incorrect areas of the rom or actually alter program code instead of tune tables.

Obtain latest romraider software
general instructions and info at romraider site below

www.romraider.com

While Romraider will let you load multiple definitions at once its best if you only load ONE definition into romraider at time,
this reduces the risk of you editing a tune file with the wrong definition.

For OFT Tunes

Always use the Definition files from the OFT download site

DO NOT use Romraider definitions from the Github site for OFT tunes.

The OFT tune can have modifications to the Calibration ID of the tune file and you need to use the specific OFT definition's which have had the corresponding modifications made to the definitions to match the OFT tunes

Always use the OFT definition specific to your tune revision ie
Use OFT V1x definitions for OFT V1x tunes
Use OFT V2x definitions for OFT V2x tunes
and oft V3 defs with oft V3 tunes
and OFT V4 tunes and defs different again
Mever mix and match use def that come with each tune revision only with that revision
Use the definition that matches your rom type calibration ID ie ZA1JA01G
Definitions for OFT V2x tunes are in the download zip files with the tuned ROM's.

Some OFT Tunes have a Patch for Launch Control and Flat Foot Shifting LC/FFS. Make sure the ROM and definition are matched.
If you see BLACK boxes in romraider that are BLANK when trying to edit LC/FFS STOP , this means the ROM does not have the Patch if you edit a non patched rom you will brick your ecu if you flash it.
Patched ROMs will show green box's with values in them as per example image attached below at end of post.
Too avoid this problem always download the full tunes and definition tune pack and only use the defs that come with the pack to edit rom from same pack.
dont use old defs on new roms and dont use new roms with old defs unless you rearly understand what your doing

Obtain OFT tune definitions from here
www.openflashtablet.com
http://openflashtablet.com/Automotiv...ads/index.html

Many OFT roms have the calibration ID internally adjusted so the OFT will load the ROM.
This is done so that OFT users can load the latest ROM series compatable with their vehicle.
For example an OFT user has original stock ROM calid of 700C. The OFT will only let them load 700C roms for safety.
However the latest calid compatible with their car is B01C. The 700C tuned OFT rom is actually based on a B01C rom (OFT V2 tunes) then modified to "look" like a 700C so the OFT will load it
This allows the person with an old calibration ID to be running the latest factory revisions as well as the OFT rom tune modifications.
Unfortunately this also "tricks" romraider, so the OFT guys produce special modified Romraider definitions to match their tuned roms. That is why you must use the OFT definitions for OFT roms.

Many OFT roms have not had the checksums corrected so romraider will pop up a message saying checksum is incorrect. you can use romraider to correct checksum, but the OFT and openflash manager software
will correct the checksum for you when you load the rom into the OFT.

For STOCK ROM,s (tunes) or NON OFT ROMs

Use the definitions from the github site

Do NOT use these for OFT tuned ROM files , these definitions for Stock ROMS or NON-OFT roms only.

https://github.com/TD-D/SubaruDefs/t.../RomRaider/ecu

General checks

Always Check some known tables in the ROM like the "Primary OL Fuel Table" and the "BASE TIMING B" table make sure tables have sensible values in them and that the axis of the tables are correct. If the table contains rubbish or wildly incorrect values then something is wrong your ROM and definition are mismatched DO NOT Flash the ROM.

Example, their might be slight differences in your rom. see pictures at end of post below

If you see weird table corruptions or strange values in axis X or y stop do not edit or flash

If romraider brings up errors about "Possible corrupt rom " stop

Only ever have ONE definition file loaded into Romraider at a time. Unless your very familiar with romraider use and are transferring data from one rom type to another.

Don't ever have two definitions for same rom type open in romraider as it will not know which one to use, even if the filenames are different as romraider works off calid ie an OFT V1 and V2 def for same calid or OFT def and non OFT def for same calid.

Its good practice to save your modified rom to a new filename, then re-open it and check your work carefully.

See video here

Some Tune Tweaks you made consider
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74754

Further Reading on Tuning in general

Very good post here with lots of links to tuning info

http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tuning...r-tactrix.html

Also google
"Bad Noodle Tuning Guide"
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1626520

Video tutorial by @JB86'd

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=hvmVOxI3GPs"]OFT & RomRaider Tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

Attached Images

Last edited by steve99; 03-28-2018 at 07:38 AM.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
connorlug (12-14-2014), elBarto (12-15-2014), fstlane (01-01-2015), JB86'd (10-01-2015), Joe-G (10-01-2015), j_Zer0 (01-20-2015), keen as (05-18-2015), P@ul (12-14-2014), phrosty (12-13-2014), Shiv@Openflash (12-13-2014), Sportsguy83 (05-21-2015), thambu19 (11-08-2015), Viper8 (08-19-2018), vynervt (03-13-2015)
Old 12-13-2014, 06:27 PM   #2
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
General checks

Always Check some known tables in the ROM like the "Primary OL Fuel Table" and the "BASE TIMING B" table make sure tables have sensible values in them and that the axis of the tables are correct. If the table contains rubbish or wildly incorrect values then something is wrong your ROM and definition are mismatched DO NOT Flash the ROM.
And for those who don't know what these should look like:

Not all ROMs will have the exact same values, but they should have similarly smooth gradual changes.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to phrosty For This Useful Post:
connorlug (12-14-2014), Sportsguy83 (05-21-2015), steve99 (12-13-2014)
Old 02-02-2015, 01:33 AM   #3
SteveIsBored

Drives: 2013 subaru brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I feel like this is a stupid question but how do I save changes made to a rom as a .bin
SteveIsBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 02:06 AM   #4
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveIsBored View Post
I feel like this is a stupid question but how do I save changes made to a rom as a .bin
in romrader click save rom as, then name it romname.bin
Old 02-02-2015, 02:25 AM   #5
SteveIsBored

Drives: 2013 subaru brz
Just that easy I guess I over think some stuff in fear of bricking my ecu
SteveIsBored is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
Fizz
Senior Addict

Drives: 86 GT
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Only ever have ONE definition file loaded into Romraider at a time. Unless your very familiar with romraider use and are transferring data from one rom type to another.

Don't ever have two definitions for same rom type open in romraider as it will not know which one to use, even if the filenames are different as romraider works off calid ie an OFT V1 and V2 def for same calid or OFT def and non OFT def for same calid.
What if I want to compare two different roms? One is A00G and the other is A01G? So I shouldn't open both at the same time?

At the moment i'm viewing them with both .xml def files in the file manager. Is this wrong?
Fizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2015, 12:18 AM   #7
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fizz View Post
What if I want to compare two different roms? One is A00G and the other is A01G? So I shouldn't open both at the same time?

At the moment i'm viewing them with both .xml def files in the file manager. Is this wrong?
Romraider can open several roms ar a time and they can have different defs like you are doing ie opening an A01G and A00G. This is fine once you become familiar with romraider.

The danger is having say an 700G OFT def and a 700G standard rom raider def in romraider at same time or trying to open a 700G stock or non oft rom and an 700G oft rom as the oft 700G def and rom are actually A01G and calid hacked, that kind of mismatch can result in bricked ecu waiting to happen. It ok if your aware of the oft calid changes but a trap if your not. The oft roms also have a lc\ffs patch which you need their defs to alter, however using an oft def on a stock rom and trying to alter lc\ffs may also result in bricked ecu as instead od altering a table your altering program code.

very importenat to match defs and roms.

was just trying to be safe for novice people.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Fizz (02-04-2015), Sportsguy83 (05-21-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 03:10 AM   #8
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
@steve99 @Fizz is not using OFT ROMs or definitions.

Fizz, you can load up all definition files so long as they are different. In fact you can have have more than one of the same, it uses the top one 1st if there are 2 of the same definition. Generally only have one per cal ID to make you life easier, I have pretty much every current FT86 Cal ID loaded into mine.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Fizz (02-05-2015)
Old 02-04-2015, 05:18 AM   #9
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
@steve99 @Fizz is not using OFT ROMs or definitions.

Fizz, you can load up all definition files so long as they are different. In fact you can have have more than one of the same, it uses the top one 1st if there are 2 of the same definition. Generally only have one per cal ID to make you life easier, I have pretty much every current FT86 Cal ID loaded into mine.
i think he had some old oft one loaded from his oft days as in another thread he had weird table values, once he deleted them all sweet or he was in compare mode as you worked out
Old 02-04-2015, 06:24 AM   #10
Kodename47

@Fizz if you only use the defs I sent you then you'll be golden. These aren't suitable for any OFT ROM use without possible issue, so comparing to the OFT files isn't a good idea.

Kodename 47 DJ:
Old 02-05-2015, 03:09 AM   #11
Kodename47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodename47 View Post
@Fizz if you only use the defs I sent you then you'll be golden. These aren't suitable for any OFT ROM use without possible issue, so comparing to the OFT files isn't a good idea.
I'l update this statement, if you want to compare OFT ROMs using my definitions use these v2.0# OTS Tunes:
ZA1JB01C
ZA1JA01G

Those are NOT Cal ID edited and therefore will work with standard definitions.

Kodename 47 DJ:
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
steve99 (02-05-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 03:02 AM   #12
Dominus

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Garage
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP states that this Free software can edit a stock tune. Does this mean that i can use my laptop and OBDII-USB cable to edit my stock BRZ tune to do any of the following:

* Flash newest ECU updates
* fix idle Dip
* Fix torque Dip
* tune Launch control/flat foot shift

all without costing me anything? Granted one would need to know how to edit these perimeters. . .
Old 03-13-2015, 03:29 AM   #13
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP states that this Free software can edit a stock tune. Does this mean that i can use my laptop and OBDII-USB cable to edit my stock BRZ tune to do any of the following:

* fix idle Dip
* Fix torque Dip

all without costing me anything? Granted one would need to know how to edit these perimeters. . .
Well not that simple

Yep Romraider is free.
But you need a device that is capable of extracting and writing the rom from your ECU

Cheap Obd cables will not do this

the cheapest device to read and write roms is a Tactrix and you need the Ecuflash software see links below.

lc and ffs are not available in stock rom firmware its an addon patch done by the openflash guys.

if tactrix\ecuflash looks a bit daunting then buy yourself an openflashtablet.
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Dominus (03-13-2015)
Old 03-16-2015, 03:36 PM   #14
Koa
Sweeper

Drives: '02 RA Bugeye | '15 FRS
Thanked 1,488 Times in 788 Posts
Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominus View Post

* fix idle Dip
* Fix torque Dip

One doesn't simply "fix the torque dip" by tinkering about with the stock rom on a stock car..
Koa is offline   Reply With Quote