follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-31-2018, 11:27 PM   #15
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm a fellow snowball competitor from Syracuse area, and my FR-S is my daily driver so it sees snow, salt, and LOTS of both every winter. Salt isn't used for traction improvement; when I lived farther north in colder climates but with less total snow amounts, they only used sand occasionally. That, coupled with colder weather and hardpack, made for surprisingly good road conditions throughout most of the winter. Salt is used in our areas because we get so much snow that there's really no place to put it; without melting the snow, the banks would get so high they'd dangerously encroach upon visibility and road width. I wish they didn't have to use it, not only because it's terrible for cars (and bridges and other steel structures), but because it makes driving conditions WORSE. I'd way rather drive on snow than on snow melted into slushy ice.. especially after it re-freezes into a sheet of ice with more slushy lubricant on top of it.

As far as protecting my car from the salt.. well... I'm much happier just not worrying about it. Having run the gamut of conscientiously washing some of my cars throughout my life every week throughout the winter, waxing it, spraying the bottom, etc., to doing absolutely nothing until spring, I've found that there's almost no difference. When you wash your car, you're just driving some of that salt farther and farther into crevices you can't reach.

So far, the FR-S has stayed in EXCELLENT condition through the Syracuse winters and saltfests... not a speck of rust visible on the body anywhere, and the undercarriage including exhaust is holding it's own very nicely. Factory rust-proofing has come a long way, and dealer-applied coatings are a waste of money in my experience. After-market coatings usually just seal in rust that's already started so you can't see it until it's REALLY bad. I know.. my opinion. Lots disagree. That's cool.

It's a car. It's a fun car. It drives well in winter. It's cheap. Don't worry, be happy.
Spuds (04-01-2018), Tcoat (04-01-2018)
Old 03-31-2018, 11:32 PM   #16
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Yes ever since I switched to a BBK - no dust boots so I stay away from salt. Also my winter tire setup doesn't fit over the brakes anyway. It sucks since I enjoyed driving the FR-S in snow and ripping donuts in empty parking lots.

My other car in the snow is boring. Understeer everywhere. I recently drove my FR-S again and it just brings a smile to my face.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 12:14 AM   #17
Myriad

Drives: 2017 86, 2012 Tundra, 1999 Integra
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutbuster View Post
A real Winter. The kind that makes a few attempts to kill you.

When I was a kid people learned to drive in snow. We used to grab onto bumpers and hitch a ride. Nowadays people want to get to work without having to slow down. The towns buy mountains of salt and spread it around generously.

It’s not just the cars that get ruined. The roads and bridges take a big hit.
When I was growing up in the 80s and 90s to now, the amount of salt applied to roads is incredibly high. I can't remember exactly, but I think newspaper articles have reported at least 4x historical amounts. It is ridiculous. Cars are safer now than they have ever been with anti-lock brakes and traction control, all wheel drive, etc, but people seem to freak out about snow entirely out of proportion to how dangerous it is. If a road isn't clear in a few hours with plow trucks and salt, people think its the end of the world. And municipalities and land owners are terrified of being sued, so they slather the salt on, the more the better. I remember sledding down streets and driving on hard packed snow all the time as a kid. Never happens now. Come on people, snow is fun!

Roads, cars, bridges, all that is affected like you said, but people forget about the impacts on the water. It all washes into the local streams. I work in the environmental field and can tell you firsthand that chloride and conductivity levels after snow melts in urban areas can peak to near seawater levels. It is wreaking havoc on the aquatic life. Drinking water aquifers have seen steady rising salinity levels since the 80s, directly attributed to the higher salt application rates. Soon it will be an expense to desalinize public drinking water supplies. We've been working to demonstrate the impact, but it mostly falls on deaf ears. I've seen areas in Nova Scotia that ban the use of salt to protect the National Park wetlands, so I wonder if they will ever enact restrictions here in the US. Something needs to be done because its out of control now. I surmise some sort of recommendation based on lbs per road miles per storm should be in order. My 2 cents.

Myriad
Myriad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Myriad For This Useful Post:
gutbuster (04-02-2018), Tcoat (04-01-2018), venturaII (04-03-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 12:29 AM   #18
CJRhoades

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited 6MT WRB
Nope, I throw on snow tires and drive. It's my daily. I've got an unlimited wash pass so it gets washed at least once a week in the winter in an attempt to keep some of the salt off.

Last edited by CJRhoades; 04-01-2018 at 02:54 PM.
CJRhoades is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CJRhoades For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 12:45 AM   #19
arxm

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2023 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
at first i tried to store it for the winter then one day I had to take it out for an emergency since it was my only car available to me then i realized how much fun these are in the snow, so no i do not store it lol

2023 Ignition Red BRZ 6MT awaiting boost
arxm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to arxm For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 03:07 AM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
I'm a fellow snowball competitor from Syracuse area, and my FR-S is my daily driver so it sees snow, salt, and LOTS of both every winter. Salt isn't used for traction improvement; when I lived farther north in colder climates but with less total snow amounts, they only used sand occasionally. That, coupled with colder weather and hardpack, made for surprisingly good road conditions throughout most of the winter. Salt is used in our areas because we get so much snow that there's really no place to put it; without melting the snow, the banks would get so high they'd dangerously encroach upon visibility and road width. I wish they didn't have to use it, not only because it's terrible for cars (and bridges and other steel structures), but because it makes driving conditions WORSE. I'd way rather drive on snow than on snow melted into slushy ice.. especially after it re-freezes into a sheet of ice with more slushy lubricant on top of it.

As far as protecting my car from the salt.. well... I'm much happier just not worrying about it. Having run the gamut of conscientiously washing some of my cars throughout my life every week throughout the winter, waxing it, spraying the bottom, etc., to doing absolutely nothing until spring, I've found that there's almost no difference. When you wash your car, you're just driving some of that salt farther and farther into crevices you can't reach.

So far, the FR-S has stayed in EXCELLENT condition through the Syracuse winters and saltfests... not a speck of rust visible on the body anywhere, and the undercarriage including exhaust is holding it's own very nicely. Factory rust-proofing has come a long way, and dealer-applied coatings are a waste of money in my experience. After-market coatings usually just seal in rust that's already started so you can't see it until it's REALLY bad. I know.. my opinion. Lots disagree. That's cool.

It's a car. It's a fun car. It drives well in winter. It's cheap. Don't worry, be happy.
This ^^^^^. Nothing else is reality! These are not the 80s where cars rotted away in 3 to 5 years.
Attached Images

Spuds (04-01-2018)
Old 04-01-2018, 03:15 AM   #21
DaJo
FT86Club Vancouver

Drives: BRZ Sport-Tech; Drove: MR-S, AE86
Thanked 1,178 Times in 633 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Yup, I top it up with gas, check the tire pressures and keep it hooked to a smart charger for 6 months. I drive my Lexus IS250 AWD in the snow and rotate that between the BRZ 6 months at a time.

2013 BRZ Sport-Tech 6AT
Since '12 (OEM+ STI tS Build)
2015 Lexus IS250 AWD F-Sport 2 2015-2018
2018 Lexus NX300 F-Sport 3 Since '18
DaJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 03:22 AM   #22
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
This ^^^^^. Nothing else is reality! These are not the 80s where cars rotted away in 3 to 5 years.
Tcoat 's snowmobile ..........

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:41 PM   #23
gutbuster

Drives: 13 FR-S
I do agree that today's cars (from the factory) do hold up better in salt than say 20 years ago. Dealer applied is crap. I still think Fluid film is great stuff, but I realize a lot folks do not want to get the car up on jack stands once a year for a spray.

As brands go, VW/Audi/Porsche bodies with their extensive use of galvanized steel and very nice paint are way ahead of Subaru, Toyota and Honda. Unfortunately, they don't have that Japanese reliability.

In the end, it's just a car. You can't take it to the grave.
Tcoat (04-03-2018)
Old 04-02-2018, 10:18 PM   #24
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Lol at anyone who stores their car in the winter.

What are you saving it for?
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 11:31 PM   #25
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
Lol at anyone who stores their car in the winter.

What are you saving it for?
Why?

For the next 20 years or so.

Mostly, I just don't want to work on shit that's rusted all to f***
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:10 AM   #26
Cole
Not a troll

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 5,399 Times in 2,694 Posts
Mentioned: 266 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post
Why?

For the next 20 years or so.

How many times have you been underneath your car? And for what purpose?
Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:33 AM   #27
new2subaru
Weight Weenie

Drives: 15 FR-S
Thanked 2,330 Times in 1,346 Posts
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole View Post
How many times have you been underneath your car? And for what purpose?
None yet. I do have a few items here to install though. I'd much prefer to keep it salt free and that's what I'm going to do.
new2subaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:39 AM   #28
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gutbuster View Post
Roads in upstate NY get copious amounts of salt in the Winter. I have always had a beater for the Winter, like my 01 Odyssey with 185k miles. I like to have at least one car that is "clean" to work on.

At least I have something to look forward to in the Spring.
I would love to, but then that means you've got an extra car in the driveway taking up space and making things generally a pain in the ass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2subaru View Post

That's exactly why I want to keep it off the road. Every car I've ever owned has fallen apart from rust, rather than dying a more 'natural' death due to mechanical wear. If you get 10 years out of a car up here, you're doing well. I have 14 year on our Jeep and it's on the verge of a terminal cancer diagnosis. Mechanically it's been great, aside from corrosion becoming a bigger and bigger issue whilst performing normal maintenance.

Last edited by venturaII; 04-03-2018 at 08:52 AM.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to venturaII For This Useful Post:
new2subaru (04-03-2018)