follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
Sam Strano

Old 09-20-2016, 10:30 AM   #4439
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I wrote a letter last week and included many of my notes and observations, but we'll have to see what happens. I'll adjust accordingly, but I plan to run in CS next year with the TRD stuff. I still think it can beat the ND on the right course with the right driver on the right day... it has. I just may not run against it in ProSolo or Lincoln.

If we're eligible in two street classes, I'll have stuff ready to swap from CS to DS if need be. Unless they change the spec-Corvette class where the ND might belong, I see the best hope as DS. My letter basically said: BS = add ND and move all Corvettes to AS. CS = Bye to ND and leave us alone and don't allow the 986 S/987 base. DS = Let all the newly proposed cars move except no FRS/BRZ.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Biggins For This Useful Post:
Shark_Bait88 (09-20-2016), TMF (09-21-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #4440
scirocco78

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Does anybody have any experience with re valving Koni sports for these cars in stock class? Pro Parts said they can and have done it. I just don't know of anyone that has.
scirocco78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:08 PM   #4441
xwd

Drives: 2013 DGM Subaru BRZ (Subie #9)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Nothing against Joe Barbato, definitely a great driver better than me, but if you look at the guys at the top of BS, they aren't quite at the level as the guys at the top of CS. Of the classes that ran in the dry I think BS was the lowest PAXing Street class.

One thing I haven't seen in this thread is the 2017 FR-S is now available with 17x7.5 wheels from the factory. These are labeled and marketed differently from the 18" TRD wheels, so it looks like they will be legal.
xwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:11 PM   #4442
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco78 View Post
Does anybody have any experience with re valving Koni sports for these cars in stock class? Pro Parts said they can and have done it. I just don't know of anyone that has.
A semi-local driver from PA had his revalved and then sold them when he moved to another class. I've been considering doing the same, but I have front inserts instead of the full Koni bodied version.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86185
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:48 PM   #4443
renfield90
The Stig's German cousin

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Pro Parts is the best option for Konis. Highly recommended by several multi-time jacket winners.
renfield90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:28 PM   #4444
ryan t

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwd View Post
Nothing against Joe Barbato, definitely a great driver better than me, but if you look at the guys at the top of BS, they aren't quite at the level as the guys at the top of CS. Of the classes that ran in the dry I think BS was the lowest PAXing Street class.

One thing I haven't seen in this thread is the 2017 FR-S is now available with 17x7.5 wheels from the factory. These are labeled and marketed differently from the 18" TRD wheels, so it looks like they will be legal.
I hoped someone would chime in on those. I just wondered about the backdate, if everyone could run a 7.5 now?
ryan t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:41 PM   #4445
xwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan t View Post
I hoped someone would chime in on those. I just wondered about the backdate, if everyone could run a 7.5 now?
There is no backdate in Street, you could only run them on a 2017.
The Following User Says Thank You to xwd For This Useful Post:
ryan t (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 07:04 PM   #4446
scirocco78

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
A semi-local driver from PA had his revalved and then sold them when he moved to another class. I've been considering doing the same, but I have front inserts instead of the full Koni bodied version.

I have inserts too. They said no prblem.
scirocco78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 10:42 AM   #4447
jdrxb9

Drives: ND2, formerly BRZ (MT/CBS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post

Quote:
I have inserts too. They said no prblem.

Just to clarify a bit: Koni said that they could custom valve either the inserts or the full replacements. However, they said the slightly larger body of the full strut allowed for larger, more digressive valves than the inserts and might also be more reliable at higher damping forces. Since my inserts were already 2 years old at the time and the cost difference wasn't that great and full replacements were less hassle (I only had to remove and mail the rears), I decided to go with the full struts. Also btw (and hopefully not disclosing too much info), my struts did end up going to AFRichZC6.
jdrxb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jdrxb9 For This Useful Post:
AFRichZC6 (09-24-2016)
Old 09-21-2016, 05:17 PM   #4448
DaWorstPlaya

Drives: 2016 FR-S
Quote:

BS drivers PAXing low has nothing to do with the skill of the drivers. Sorry but PAX is a bunch of baloney that shouldn't be used as the gospel. It's great for metal masturbation but doesn't take car type and course type into account and can hurt certain classes more than others. The values of PAX moving up and down every year doesn't mean a driver magically got slow because their PAX value got harder. Sorry I'll get off my PAX soapbox now.

This was taken directly from the 2017 FR-S brochure:
DIMENSIONS

Wheel diameter x width (in.), bolt pattern (mm.), inset/offset (mm.) 17-in. x 7.0-in. alloys,
5 x 100 mm bolt pattern, +48 mm inset

Seems like the 2017 still comes with 17x7 wheels from the factory and unless the 17x7.5 can be proved as a factory option and not a dealer installed option they might not be legal.
DaWorstPlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2016, 07:56 PM   #4449
bholliday

Drives: 2022 BRZ Premium
You can build a BRZ Limited online with the performance package, which includes the Brembo brakes, Sachs dampers, and 17 x 7.5 inch wheels. The 7.5" wide wheels certainly appears to be a factory option.

The BRZ Premium does not have the performance package as an option. If it was dealer installed, I would expected it to be available for either model.
bholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 03:07 PM   #4450
xwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya View Post
BS drivers PAXing low has nothing to do with the skill of the drivers. Sorry but PAX is a bunch of baloney that shouldn't be used as the gospel. It's great for metal masturbation but doesn't take car type and course type into account and can hurt certain classes more than others. The values of PAX moving up and down every year doesn't mean a driver magically got slow because their PAX value got harder. Sorry I'll get off my PAX soapbox now.

This was taken directly from the 2017 FR-S brochure:
DIMENSIONS

Wheel diameter x width (in.), bolt pattern (mm.), inset/offset (mm.) 17-in. x 7.0-in. alloys,
5 x 100 mm bolt pattern, +48 mm inset

Seems like the 2017 still comes with 17x7 wheels from the factory and unless the 17x7.5 can be proved as a factory option and not a dealer installed option they might not be legal.
It's moreso in names and how proven those guys in various classes vs. PAX. Whether folks like it or not it means something and does play a part in classing. I would give the chances of the NC being moved to BS next year to be about 0%.

According to someone who works at Toyota on another forum, the wheels are ordered as a factory option the same as the springs/swaybars. It's not the same as the TRD 18" wheels, those are dealer installed because they can't use the same tires as the standard wheels. These wheels just come with the same tires as the standard 17x7" wheels.
Old 09-23-2016, 12:30 AM   #4451
Briankbot

Drives: 2013 FRS
Quote:
I would give the chances of the NC being moved to BS next year to be about 0%.
I think we can all agree on that.
Briankbot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Briankbot For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (09-23-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 05:33 PM   #4452
Shark_Bait88

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FR-S
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
So when are all the BRZ folks gonna start jumping ship on CS? I need them deals on used parts for my conversion back to CS prep!

I'm just kidding, I don't want to see people leave the class. But seriously, there's been a major lack in used 17x7s for sale lately. lol