follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List
go_a_way1, KR-S, Tcoat

Old 01-19-2016, 02:24 PM   #57
NARFALICIOUS

Drives: '88 Supra 1JZ, '16 FR-S, '23 GR86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I can't believe you've been villified this much. Just goes to show how small minded some people are. Yes, most people who do left foot braking are terrible but that doesn't mean he is. Ask one question, get an answer for something different.
NARFALICIOUS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NARFALICIOUS For This Useful Post:
mdm (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 02:25 PM   #58
Ashikabi

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 4,542 Times in 2,947 Posts
Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
I can't believe you've been villified this much. Just goes to show how small minded some people are. Yes, most people who do left foot braking are terrible but that doesn't mean he is. Ask one question, get an answer for something different.
He got the exact answer he asked for
Ashikabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:08 PM   #59
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
In response to this, and also to jokes in the teeth thread ("For those of you that seem to think this is a bad idea, these are just opinions and I'm going to continue anyways even though I asked for your advice")

Please note that I was asking if there is anything specific to the FR-S ("Are you aware of any reasons it couldn't/shouldn't be done in this car?") that would preclude or interfere with left-foot braking.

I was not asking whether it is good to brake with your left foot in general. Yes I have my mind pretty much set about that, with probably 30 or 50k miles of experience and self-observation doing it on a daily basis (though I am always open to consider an good argument against my opinion).

It's just that the majority of posters, instead of responding to my actual question (like "I don't know, I would never do that anyway", or just not responding at all) started to pile up on me telling me that left-foot braking is bad in general. Not what I asked about!
There are several very good answers here but you will not pay any attention to them since you already have an opinion. Some things however are not a case of opinion. You are not asking what colour is best or if leather is better than cloth but about a fundamental driving technique. AT cars are designed to be operated with the right foot, all driver training and testing says to use the right foot this is not opinion.
You can try to rationalize why you want to do it all you want but that does not make it ok. Your reasons are about 98% bunk anyway.
If your whole 30 or 50k of experience tells it is ok than my 2 million (yes 6 zeros)k trumps that and says get out of that habit now. It is hazardous for the reasons already stated whether you agree or not.
go_a_way1 (01-19-2016), justatroll (01-19-2016), roddy (01-19-2016), softgrip (01-19-2016), soulreapersteve (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 03:13 PM   #60
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
I left for lunch and came back. Popping popcorn right now
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
KR-S (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 03:18 PM   #61
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
my 2 million (yes 6 zeros)k trumps that and says get out of that habit now.

Just a short question - how much of that was in an AT car using your left foot to brake?

I have (roughly) 30- 50k in AT with left-foot braking, probably 60-80k in AT with right-foot braking and a comparable number (can't recall exactly) in MT.

Again, if anyone can link to an actual study about probability of pedal mix-up for left-foot brakers comapred to righ-foot breakers, I'd love to see it.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:20 PM   #62
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
So if I ever buy a twin, it will be an automatic* FR-S.

And if I do it, I will want to drive it like I drive all automatic cars - using my left foot to brake. I just prefer this way for several reasons.

Does anyone here drive an AT twin this way?

Are you aware of any reasons it couldn't/shouldn't be done in this car?

I mean real reasons, like:
"driving position becomes unbearably awkward"
"Brake Assist gets confused and kicks in every time you brake"
"the transmission will die after 20k tops"

not things like:
"you will get confused and won't brake properly in emergency"
or "real men brake with the right foot".

* yes, I know MT is supposed to be more fun, and I can use MT (I drove only MT for the first 13 or 15 years after I got my license), but I have my reasons.
Read up on ice mode. I havent done a ton of reading but it seems like left foot braking tends to induce it more (no guarantee of this and its mostly related to performance driving not sure about DD).

Also the Pedal Dance would disable all traction/stability aids AND also NOT get rid of ice mode

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
mdm (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 03:23 PM   #63
Ashikabi

Tcoats power level is over 9,000
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Choco (01-21-2016), KR-S (01-19-2016), MisterSheep (01-19-2016), softgrip (01-19-2016), Uplink (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 03:38 PM   #64
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
@mdm ... you ask a question and the forum was unanimous in it's response, but you keep justifying your technique. Just stop.

I agree with every post here and especially @justatrolls. Controlling a vehicle requires that you are secure in the seat. Left foot on dead rest. Two hands on steering wheel. I also brace myself using the center armrest (if available).

You say you use your hands on the steering wheel as supports. Your legs are much more powerful at keeping you stable as compared to your arms.
justatroll (01-19-2016), mdm (01-19-2016), roddy (01-19-2016), softgrip (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 03:39 PM   #65
MrDinkleman

Drives: 2016 Oceanic, "base" model
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Every now and then when I feel lazy and I am in an AT car, I try left foot braking but find it more work than using my right foot. Having your foot poised and ready for an emergency stop like a dog taking a pee is more work than being ready to brake with your right foot. So, I go back to right foot braking and bitching about AT cars.

Also, since I have driven practically nothing but MT cars for the last 36 years, I have no "driving feel", other than feathering the clutch, in my left foot so I am very clumsy with left foot braking.

I am so used to clutching that sometimes while driving an AT car, I will accidentally stomp on the left side of the AT-car-oversized-brake-pedal and double foot the brake and almost hit my head on the steering wheel.

I liked, and agree with, the one post where it was said that you really should use your left foot for bracing your body against the dead pedal.

I thought at one time, it was actually illegal to left foot brake. But that might just have been an old wives' tale to scare people to not left foot brake...

But if it works for the OP, then by all means go ahead. I don't know why he wants opinions about it, though.
MrDinkleman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrDinkleman For This Useful Post:
mdm (01-19-2016), roddy (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #66
Toyarzee
Shibby!

Drives: '14 White FR-S, '01 turbo mini taco
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
There are several very good answers here but you will not pay any attention to them... all driver training and testing says to use the right foot this is not opinion. It is hazardous for the reasons already stated whether you agree or not.
Taduh! Mind blowing isn't it...

Quote:

Again, if anyone can link to an actual study about probability of pedal mix-up for left-foot brakers comapred to righ-foot breakers, I'd love to see it.
This study must have been delayed while still testing if it's safer to hold onto an unbuckled seat belt during a collision instead of properly buckling yourself in...

Seriously, you're stretching here. It's been tested, proven, and taught at all driving schools. Whether you have some arduous and abstract excuse for an alternative or not, the original logic has not carried such flaws for a century of driving evolution.

Will it work, ya maybe for some specific issues. Should you do it? No. Not on this car, not on your corolla... your arms are not sufficient to hold yourself into a correct position during an inclement event in a moving vehicle. This is why even MT drivers have their left foot on the floor while not engaging the clutch. Also, the attitude of your vehicle doesn't recover quickly enough to change momentum in an expedited fashion just cause your foot was generating an input half a second faster. Finally, I don't give a shit whether you say you "check the reflection" in your rear window for brake lights, cause you are not perfect and will either forget or not notice at times. This is as much a guarantee as some drivers at the track will forget to check their mirrors to assist and point by other cars waiting to pass. When you're involved in a variable moving situation that demands different levels of attention, some things are not always followed through on.

We don't need a study, you have your answer about how it will affect our specific car, and everyone else's "opinions" are influenced by trying to help you become a safer driver.

All other perpetuation of this thread, is in fact, a troll
Toyarzee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Toyarzee For This Useful Post:
Cole (01-19-2016), justatroll (01-19-2016), roddy (01-19-2016), soulreapersteve (01-19-2016), Tcoat (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 03:48 PM   #67
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterSheep View Post
I left for lunch and came back. Popping popcorn right now
Been lurking with a bag myself... as per usual
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 03:51 PM   #68
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Alright I got it! Just get hand controls like handicap (or disabled I don't mean to offend anyone but this is 2016, cant be too careful) people have. That way you can use your thumbs for gas and brakes and its much safer then your 2 foot driving thing.

/End thread and lets all move on with life okay?

go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
86kahl (01-19-2016), KR-S (01-19-2016), Toyarzee (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 03:53 PM   #69
MisterSheep
Killed Scion

Drives: 2013 FR-S Whiteout
Thanked 7,307 Times in 4,485 Posts
Mentioned: 334 Post(s)
Tagged: 185 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
Alright I got it! Just get hand controls like handicap (or disabled I don't mean to offend anyone but this is 2016, cant be too careful) people have. That way you can use your thumbs for gas and brakes and its much safer then your 2 foot driving thing.

/End thread and lets all move on with life okay?

#rebellyfe
Originally Posted by KR-S 86 View Post
What are you talking about? You just killed one of the worst brands in history according to enthusiasts. People will be worshipping you like sheep.
MisterSheep is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MisterSheep For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (01-19-2016)
Old 01-19-2016, 04:03 PM   #70
Ashikabi

The while car is pretty much controlled by computer right? What if we just wired up an xbox controller and OP can use left trigger to brake
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashikabi For This Useful Post:
Uplink (01-19-2016)