follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 09-10-2014, 05:01 PM   #155
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atropine View Post
But it does...because a lot of people do not realize this.

One of the things special about the Corvette is its ability to give you 600+ HP and still be under factory warranty and have longevity.

Sadly, a lot of people here play Forza and Gran Turismo and dominated with the R34 Skyline...therefore they think the R34 Skyline is the best car ever...or the Suzuki Pikes Peak car.

A 900HP Skyline does not run forever...it will be constantly breaking shit.

A 900 HP Supra will not run forever...you will be rebuilding things.

A 600 HP BRZ will not run forever either. While its working...it is AMAZING.

Sadly, there are guys who buy a Twin...and then use their Credit Card for an Innovate S/C and then have Toni from FA20Club tune their car...and then it blows up.

They are left with a car that won't budge and that has a voided warranty...and 20k sitting on a Credit Card.

Threads like this influence these 'Young'uns into doing FI, without really really know what they are getting into.

I love tuner cars and modded cars.

I don't even like thinking about the money I spent buy XXXXX Car and modding it...and then selling it for a good bit less than what I paid for it (and what I spent modding it)

I started my addiction when I was in my early 20s and I didn't really have the money to be doing that.

Now that I am more established and stable...I accept its a money pit that leads to great stories and fun times...but its an expensive hobby.

Sometimes, people read these build threads and do not truly realize what goes into all of this. Its not Legos. What works on one car, may not work on another.

And it is surprisingly easy to destroy an engine/car/chassis if you don't know WTF you are doing.
this is why i have a pile of parts in a storage container, waiting for the stock parts to break ahahah

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #156
CSG David

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 1,721 Times in 956 Posts
Mentioned: 173 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbonBLUE View Post
this is why i have a pile of parts in a storage container, waiting for the stock parts to break ahahah
Aren't you that guy with the PowerFC tuned Celica GTS that was doing 8400-9000 RPM pulls in the past? LOL
CSG David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 05:50 PM   #157
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
Aren't you that guy with the PowerFC tuned Celica GTS that was doing 8400-9000 RPM pulls in the past? LOL
hydra ems and 10,500 rpms. its kinda scary watching the tach go past the available rpms it can read and listening to the valve chatter trying to figure out what rpm you are at to shift before you hit the fuel cut. ahahha

i started on a car that needed work that was already 12 years old and had already seen more than 1 engine and 2 transmissions. :P

Also I'm getting older and I want a house and paying off my medical bills for my cancer is a bit more important than finishing my build on my FR-S. but hopefully at some point i will start a build thread

(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
Old 09-10-2014, 05:59 PM   #158
CSG David

Quote:
hydra ems and 10,500 rpms. its kinda scary watching the tach go past the available rpms it can read and listening to the valve chatter trying to figure out what rpm you are at to shift before you hit the fuel cut. ahahha

i started on a car that needed work that was already 12 years old and had already seen more than 1 engine and 2 transmissions. :P

Also I'm getting older and I want a house and paying off my medical bills for my cancer is a bit more important than finishing my build on my FR-S. but hopefully at some point i will start a build thread
Oh it is you. The legendary Celica GTS owner. I used to watch your videos and was thoroughly impressed with that work.

Get well soon man! Cancer is never a good thing. My dad has been working on cancer treatment solutions for a long time now and has developed a treatment to help in the fight for cancer.
Old 09-10-2014, 06:31 PM   #159
mokinbird87
BOXER FR

Drives: WRB BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I dunno about $55k, but with $15k put into the car, pushing it towards a used cayman/M3 price category, the performance parts that could be obtained are (assuming you do all the work):

this is my wish list btw (total price of $14,600).

innovate SC kit ($5000)
Ohlins R&T ($3100)
Essex AP racing endurance brake kit ($2500)
high quality wheels and tires ($4000)

I think with this set up you should be able to hit:
close to 250whp, 1g cornering capabilities, and less than 110ft braking from 60mph. if the car makes 250whp (300@crank hp considering 15% drivetrain loss for comparison sake), and weighs the advertised 2700lbs (+70lbs for the supercharger kit), the power to weight ratio would roughly be a 9.2, compared to an e92 M3 at 414hp and 3500lbs (pwr of 8.4) and a 2009 cayman s at 320hp at 3100lbs (pwr of 9.6).

but the Z06, along with OEM reliability, etc... just the performance numbers (if we`re not talking about steering feel, etc the emotional bits) is staggering.

505hp at 3524lbs, the PWR is a 6.9. it stops from 60mph in just 93ft (compared to Crawford BRZ`s 106ft even equipped with BBK).

none of it matters because I prefer the precise feel of the BRZ and that is something that does not show up in numbers or any chart, but if you wanna play just the numbers game, Corvette is undoubtedly good value for money.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:50 PM   #160
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG David View Post
Oh it is you. The legendary Celica GTS owner. I used to watch your videos and was thoroughly impressed with that work.

Get well soon man! Cancer is never a good thing. My dad has been working on cancer treatment solutions for a long time now and has developed a treatment to help in the fight for cancer.
no i dont have any youtube videos, but it was a copy of a similar build done on a lotus that @Boosted2.0 worked on.

but to get back on track the new vette is superior in every way to the twins

i got a twin because i can park it basically anywhere around where i live and dont have to worry about it getting broken into

But in a realistic comparison

FOR THE MONEY

there isnt much you have to do to either car to enhance the drive because both are well engineered from factory.

instead of modifying a twin to be as good as a vette, just buy the vette!

Personally my build will consist of a built FA20 at stock compression with a supercharger thats carb approved with all the suspension bits to support and compliment to bump in power. also i want some 8 inch wide rims milled and painted just like the stock ones to retain a sleeper look lol

(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
The Following User Says Thank You to carbonBLUE For This Useful Post:
CSG David (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 12:33 PM   #161
CSG David

Quote:
no i dont have any youtube videos, but it was a copy of a similar build done on a lotus that @Boosted2.0 worked on.

i got a twin because i can park it basically anywhere around where i live and dont have to worry about it getting broken into

FOR THE MONEY

there isnt much you have to do to either car to enhance the drive because both are well engineered from factory.

Personally my build will consist of a built FA20 at stock compression with a supercharger thats carb approved with all the suspension bits to support and compliment to bump in power. also i want some 8 inch wide rims milled and painted just like the stock ones to retain a sleeper look lol
On that videos part...this was before YouTube...

As for the BRZ/FRS setup...heh...
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG David For This Useful Post:
carbonBLUE (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 01:25 PM   #162
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
That's great for you...

Quote:

FOR THE MONEY

For you and others that like the stock twin, that's great. I'm happy for you.

No one is arguing that the stock vette isn't superior to a stock twin in every way...

I mean, saying that opens you up to being called captain obvious.

The question is with the same money that it costs for a new Z06, would the twin be superior..

Not what the resale value would be etc... would it be superior on the track with the same total cost.

I argue that with much less spent on a twin, it would be superior to what you could walk out of a dealership spending on a new Z06... Especially, if you do your own work on the twin...

The people I have a hard time with are the ones who say, you can't make a twin superior to a z06 no matter what you do to it, and that's just asinine.

Jaden

Let me add, if you can do your own work, buying a z06 would be asinine to me, because buying a entry vette and modding it with the same money as a z06, you could blow it's doors off...unless you just want to be able to say you have a z06...That just adds to the douchebaggery as far as I'm concerned... That's why I haven't liked the vette for a while, although the c7 is less douchey than previous iterations to me, I don't know why????
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:28 PM   #163
chrisl

Drives: 2006 Cayman S, 2007 Outback 2.5i
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I think you'd have a much harder time than many people think to actually make a twin superior to a Z06. Sure, you could make one faster than a Z06 in a straight line, maybe even faster around a track, but to get one to the same level of track performance and reliability (that means able to actually be lapped at the track for a full track day without breaking things all the time), you'd have to spend a LOT of money on a BRZ/FR-S, and you would probably end up with something that would be a lot worse to drive every day than a Z06.
chrisl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisl For This Useful Post:
DeeezNuuuts83 (09-11-2014)
Old 09-11-2014, 01:36 PM   #164
Jaden
Road-hole

$55K ain't nothing to shake a stick at...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
I think you'd have a much harder time than many people think to actually make a twin superior to a Z06. Sure, you could make one faster than a Z06 in a straight line, maybe even faster around a track, but to get one to the same level of track performance and reliability (that means able to actually be lapped at the track for a full track day without breaking things all the time), you'd have to spend a LOT of money on a BRZ/FR-S, and you would probably end up with something that would be a lot worse to drive every day than a Z06.
Yeah a lot of money, $55-60K is a lot of money in disparity to work with..

Sure you can get raped if you hire someone to do the work for you, but it shouldn't cost any where NEAR that much doing your own work..

Jaden
Old 09-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #165
brainfinger

Drives: 2013 Aquamarine FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
There is the Bulletproof Automotive Concept One.

http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com/conceptone

I bet it cost a few pennies more than a Z06.
brainfinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 01:38 PM   #166
Jaden
Road-hole

It's kind of like comparing the z06 to another super car..

You could make a z06 blow the doors off of just about any supercar you can name if you can put another 100K into it...

Jaden

and I'm sure you wouldn't need to put anywhere near that much into it to be realistic against most stock cars...

comparing a well modded car to a stock car is kind of a joke...let me switch that wording... a car modded well...
Old 09-11-2014, 01:41 PM   #167
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisl View Post
Exactly. Which is why you have to talk about reliability and if you have issues with parts from some random vendor on the internet you are at their mercy vs driving down to the Chevy dealer. Again, we are not talking run of the mill FT86 mods, we are talking about making an FT86 equivalent to what I would say is a supercar.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 02:37 PM   #168
Jaden
Road-hole

Yeah... it might...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfinger View Post
http://www.bulletproofautomotive.com/conceptone

I bet it cost a few pennies more than a Z06.
If you buy it from them already made, then yeah it might cost about the same or maybe a bit more, but if you don't think that you can do everything that they did to that car performance wise, if you are capable and do the work yourself, for less total cost than a new Z06, then you are nukcing futs...

Jaden