follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 05-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #1289
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Drives: 2019 WRX Limited (WRB)
Thanked 1,251 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
What I want to make sure of is that a laminova mocal oil cooler will fit with a Vortech install. I don't want 3 air-air or air-liquid heat exchangers out front. Two is enough (radiator and FMIC), what with the a/c condenser sandwiched there near 2 heat-radiating heatsinks already. No need to add a 3rd. Also, a laminova cooler acts as an oil temp regulator, and for Phoenix heat, that's just smart. Moreso than an oil cooler driven by moving air. I want to reduce engine bay heat, so keeping the heat in the radiator system just seems like a good idea.

So, how to integrate the mocal install listed in the DIY section to this. OR, is the mocal cooler listed in the DIY larger than it needs to be (since it's keeping oil temps at 212 F, which might be a little low... right?).

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
SirBrass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:04 PM   #1290
FyeaFRS

Drives: 1992 Nissan Skyline GTS-t Type-M
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Pretty much the main reason I even considered replacing the oem radiator.

In retrospect, I'm pretty sure I would have gone with the GReddy, HKS or other side mounted oil cooler, rather than adding another radiator to the pile. But only if they were more reasonably priced.
FyeaFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:34 PM   #1291
HRTROB

Drives: Toyota 86
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FyeaFRS View Post
I installed the Mishimoto when I put in my Vortech, wasn't very difficult. Now clamping all the loose hoses on the other hand...
Were you able to reinstall the fans on the car with the blower already installed? When I did mine, there was no way the fans were going to go in. I had to move the blower out of the way.
HRTROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 01:45 PM   #1292
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
Pretty much the main reason I even considered replacing the oem radiator.

In retrospect, I'm pretty sure I would have gone with the GReddy, HKS or other side mounted oil cooler, rather than adding another radiator to the pile. But only if they were more reasonably priced.
Even the cusco liquid oil cooler (sits like a sandwich plate, and has water lines running to the radiator hoses) is overpriced and says that it kicks in when oil temps go above 266F.

The Greddy oil cooler looked good till I saw its $1k price tag. Good grief! The laminova core way seems about the same price as Mishimoto or Perrin air/liquid methods.

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 05-01-2014, 02:09 PM   #1293
FyeaFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRTROB View Post
Were you able to reinstall the fans on the car with the blower already installed? When I did mine, there was no way the fans were going to go in. I had to move the blower out of the way.
I installed the radiator first and put everything back together before installing the vortech. Even though I had to loosen/take off some the parts again, I just wanted everything to fit back together properly.

Also, anyone else have a hard time mounting the intercooler and having the splash guard go back on a bit messed up?
Old 05-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #1294
Tye300

Drives: Toyota 86 TRD Version AT
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirBrass View Post
What I want to make sure of is that a laminova mocal oil cooler will fit with a Vortech install. I don't want 3 air-air or air-liquid heat exchangers out front. Two is enough (radiator and FMIC), what with the a/c condenser sandwiched there near 2 heat-radiating heatsinks already. No need to add a 3rd. Also, a laminova cooler acts as an oil temp regulator, and for Phoenix heat, that's just smart. Moreso than an oil cooler driven by moving air. I want to reduce engine bay heat, so keeping the heat in the radiator system just seems like a good idea.

So, how to integrate the mocal install listed in the DIY section to this. OR, is the mocal cooler listed in the DIY larger than it needs to be (since it's keeping oil temps at 212 F, which might be a little low... right?).
With the supercharger, the way the laminova was installed in the pic would not work. It would get in the way of the blower itself from the way it looks in the pic. I think you can mount it flat on the plastic floor in front of the intercooler and it would not block it that much. Or you can take the styrofoam out from the crash beam and install it on the crash beam itself. But not knowing the exact dimensions of the cooler itself makes it a guess also. Plus how to extend the radiator hose to the front would be a hurdle also. You could also mount it behind the foglight area, since it does not need air to cool it. Just some ideas.
Tye300 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tye300 For This Useful Post:
SirBrass (05-01-2014)
Old 05-01-2014, 03:06 PM   #1295
SirBrass
Trust me, I'm the Doctor

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tye300 View Post
With the supercharger, the way the laminova was installed in the pic would not work. It would get in the way of the blower itself from the way it looks in the pic. I think you can mount it flat on the plastic floor in front of the intercooler and it would not block it that much. Or you can take the styrofoam out from the crash beam and install it on the crash beam itself. But not knowing the exact dimensions of the cooler itself makes it a guess also. Plus how to extend the radiator hose to the front would be a hurdle also. You could also mount it behind the foglight area, since it does not need air to cool it. Just some ideas.
Here's where info on the specific laminova core that the guy was talking about can be found: http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...eat_Exchangers

^GT5 Replay Photo Mode^
Old 05-01-2014, 05:12 PM   #1296
Foobar
SLO NO MO

Drives: '19 Tesla Model 3 Performance
Thanked 1,062 Times in 738 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red FRS View Post
The oil is in the cross hairs. I put the full 4oz bottle in after draining it.
I seem to recall some discussion about not using the full 4oz bottle since you can't actually drain the oil completely, did Vortech get back to you?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:16 PM   #1297
415FRS

Drives: Red SCion FRS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foobar View Post
I seem to recall some discussion about not using the full 4oz bottle since you can't actually drain the oil completely, did Vortech get back to you?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Thats right. I had oil came out from the blower before when i put more than 3/4 of the 4oz.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
415FRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:54 PM   #1298
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I run the oil in the middle of the cross-hatch area, if I run it full it will vent some excess oil out until it drops to the middle

If I fill to the middle I lose no oil between new oil fill and the next required change
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:39 AM   #1299
draggin_az
Small penis big dreams

Drives: '13 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
I run the oil in the middle of the cross-hatch area, if I run it full it will vent some excess oil out until it drops to the middle

If I fill to the middle I lose no oil between new oil fill and the next required change
^^^^ I experienced the same thing when i filled mine up. and it suuuuuuuuuuuuucks cleaning up all that oil
370hp on E-85
draggin_az is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #1300
welllam

Drives: STi
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I think robispec offers the best option out there but too bad he's not really active in this forum any more...
Attached Images

welllam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 12:27 PM   #1301
FyeaFRS

The clearance here has me concerned. I got my kit used and there was obvious wear on the tube there.

Has anyone considered modifying the bracket there to move the pipe and few millimeters to the left..?
Attached Images

Old 05-02-2014, 12:53 PM   #1302
reyruiz191

Drives: 2013 FRS Vortech Supercharged
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
The clearance here has me concerned. I got my kit used and there was obvious wear on the tube there.

Has anyone considered modifying the bracket there to move the pipe and few millimeters to the left..?
Vortech addressed the issue and as long as you sent in the warranty card they were replacing the pipe with one that had an indention to make more room for the belt to clear.

I personally have never had an issue with the belt touching the tube and I still have the original piping without the indention and I've been running the kit since April of 2013, you just have make sure you adjust the pipping well enough to clear the belt.