follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 10-17-2019, 04:26 PM   #1
gixxer

Drives: 2020 CTR
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Just got my TRD 86 what is best way to get XM?

I just bought a TRD86. Not a fan of stickers but got a good deal and this radio looks like something from a decade ago. How do I get XM on this? What is the best way to go? New headunit? If so what the popular one for good sound OEM look with XM and memory slots.
gixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:40 PM   #2
Mr.ac
[insert cool phrase here]

Drives: BRZ Premium
Thanked 1,558 Times in 930 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Wut?
It should already have XM radio. All you have to do is call XM service. In your manual there should be a radio ID number.

If for some reason your head unit doesn't have XM radio or you actually bought a base model Scion FR-S with fake TRD badges, the the cheap fast way is to get the XM app on your smart phone.

All XM radio does require a monthly subscription. It's not free.
Mr.ac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:30 PM   #3
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
You do not have to figure out anything. You will start getting emails/phone calls/letters in the mail trying to push that shit on you.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:18 PM   #4
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
2017-2019 Toyota 86 head unit does NOT have XM

Quote:
Display Audio — 7-in. touch-screen display, AM/FM Radio, Aha Radio™73 application with over 100,000 stations, eight speakers, auxiliary audio jack, USB 2.0 port68 with iPod®69 connectivity and control, voice recognition59 with voice training, hands-free phone capability, phone book access (2500 phone book contacts) and music streaming66 via Bluetooth®66 wireless technology, HD Radio™,54 Gracenote® album cover art and steering wheel audio controls
The satellite navigation feature is a 900$ option, and you'd think being a satellite thing they'd have thrown in XM but nope. If your bandwidth allows, the XM phone app is probably the easiest, if not, junk the radio and got aftermarket. Of if you're feeling janky, use the aux in for a standalone xm receiver like in the old days :lol
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:08 PM   #5
gixxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
2017-2019 Toyota 86 head unit does NOT have XM

Correct, it appears to be missing and they sell a Vais Technology GSR-TY51 Adapter to get XM for $300. I wonder if an around $300 new head unit would be better than OEM?
Old 10-17-2019, 11:37 PM   #6
Mr.ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer View Post
Correct, it appears to be missing and they sell a Vais Technology GSR-TY51 Adapter to get XM for $300. I wonder if an around $300 new head unit would be better than OEM?
Yes. For $300 you can have a great head unit with apple/android car play, back up camera option, satellite radio, proper input/output rca jacks.

Take trip to your local car audio shop, or try your luck at Best Buy, then once you get the basics, look stuff up on the internet. Or YouTube a bunch of car head units.
Old 10-18-2019, 12:07 AM   #7
gixxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Yes. For $300 you can have a great head unit with apple/android car play, back up camera option, satellite radio, proper input/output rca jacks.
The car comes with rear view mirror backup camera. Pretty strange and I hope that wiring is not related to the head unit. Just found out the USB doesn't work. I wonder if the dealer ever plugged it in the head unit.

I'll try the XM app tomorrow but prefer to use steering wheel controls.

Last edited by gixxer; 10-18-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:25 AM   #8
Mr.ac

Quote:
The car comes with rear view mirror backup camera. Pretty strange and I hope that wiring is not related to the head unit. Just found out the USB doesn't work. I wonder if the dealer ever plugged it in the head unit.

If you have an android phone the USB is always an issue. It's been a known problem since forever. For what ever reason Toyota/Subaru where always in favor of iPhone.

I just find it very odd your TRD version does not have satellite radio. But eh they got to save money somewhere. Does it at least have navigation?
Old 10-18-2019, 05:59 AM   #9
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Quote:

USB not working? How were you intending to use it? The USB connector on the console is intended to connect a usb drive, not charge a phone, it's probably got a 500mA power supply, not enough to charge a modern phone. My cousin's Nissan leaf is the same, he asked me if the usb was broken because his phone wasn't charging, but no it's fine, it's just a data plug, not a charging plug.

Last edited by RZNT4R; 10-18-2019 at 03:10 PM.
Old 10-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #10
gixxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZNT4R View Post
USB not working? How were you intending to use it? The USB connector on the console is intended to connect a usb drive, not charge a phone, it's probably got a 500mA power supply, not enough to charge a modern phone. My cousin's Nissan leaf is the same, he asked me if the usb was broken because his phone wasn't charging, but no it's fine, it's just a data plug, not a charging plug.

Just checked. The data USB worked. You guys are probably correct.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:23 PM   #11
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Quote:
Just checked. The data USB worked. You guys are probably correct.
About phone apps, usb charging and steering controls...

Since the car's USB isn't for charging, I'm running a dedicated USB3 charger in the cup holder compartment and I've got the smallest stick-on scosche magic mount just a bit right and back from the shifter, the setup is awesome, spotify is but a flick of the wrist away from the shifter. The setup is clean and there is only a tiny bit of of the USB cable poking out of the cup holder bin. No giant cradle suctioned to the windshield of dashboard or worse: clipped to an air vent, no cables dangling.

Also, steering controls work for spotify, well, of course volume up/down works, but depending how the xm app interprets the forwards and backwards skip, it'll probably change the stations just fine on the phone app over BT, like it skips tracks on spotify.