follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 04-08-2015, 03:25 AM   #1
lisaaaxo

Drives: -
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BRZ or FRS (yes, another one of those threads)

Hi, I'm relatively new to the forum (just started getting into tuner cars), so I apologize in advance that this is yet "another one of those" threads. I'm looking to purchase one of these 86's myself , but I'm a little stuck because I want optimal value for the money I saved up for. I've scoured all over the place and I've found three promising vehicles:

2013 FRS 10 Series
  • 3,670 mi
  • Manual
  • List price: $21,990
  • Previous owner added a wing spoiler
  • Haven't contacted/no offer made

2014 BRZ-Limited
  • 6,655 mi
  • Automatic
  • List price: $24,998
  • Haven't contacted/no offer made

2015 FRS
  • New
  • Automatic
  • Special color (+$395)
  • List price: $27,165
  • Contacted/negotiated: $24.5k

I don't have a preference in means of transmission, I'd be more than willing to learn manual. I'm really petite in size, so the space/comfort won't be an issue. Can someone (preferably acknowledgeable of all three) point out some differences? I've done my research, but it's my first time buying a car so what I know isn't very thorough, more superficial , I don't know the nitty gritty. Let me know if I can provide anymore sufficient details--otherwise, I think I've listed what needed to be listed. Both used vehicles have clean car faxes. I live in Massachusetts, where we (dreadfully) have 4 distinct seasons, if that matters at all, haha. Please do let me know what you think! I need as many opinions as I can get.

Also, if this happens to be in the wrong section, can a mod please move this? Thank you!

Last edited by lisaaaxo; 04-08-2015 at 05:24 AM.
lisaaaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 07:38 AM   #2
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I would say no to the automatic. I personally would get rid of the spoiler (ask the previous owner to remove it?) but if you like it then keep it.

BRZ has a nicer interior IMO, but Scion front end looks a little better. I think the BRZ interior is worth the extra money.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:20 AM   #3
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,907 Times in 11,362 Posts
Mentioned: 181 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
I don't see how you could go wrong with any of them.

I can only tell you what I would do....

They are all still under warranty and are, for the most part, all the same car. If it were me, I'd look at the 10 series an the BRZ, decide which one you like best in terms of looks and creature comforts, and go from there.

There really isn't a reason to spend the extra money for the new, but lesser spec FR-S given the few miles the others have on them.

Since I like the looks of the FR-S better, I would probably go with the 10 series depending on the color preference.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 08:27 AM   #4
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
All are a pretty good deal and the similarities outweigh the differences. Pretty much comes down to your preferences in regards to colour and the few little extras the 10 and BRZ have.
Don't let these guys talk you into a manual unless you really want one since you may not like it at all. The autos on these are supposedly really good but the "MT rules" crowd will try to tell you different.
Blu-by-U (04-10-2015), Cole (04-13-2015), Dadhawk (04-08-2015), NWFRS (04-09-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 08:36 AM   #5
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Don't let these guys talk you into a manual unless you really want one since you may not like it at all. The autos on these are supposedly really good but the "MT rules" crowd will try to tell you different.
Tcoat makes an excellent point about the AT. I love my AT, but would have been good with ether transmission so didn't think about that piece of it. That really probably is the decision point for you on which one you purchase.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Blu-by-U (04-10-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
Jesse36m3

Drives: JDL Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
If you really have to pick between those three for whatever reason, first choose the transmission you want then go from there. That is ultimately the one thing you can't really change at a later time without spending a ton of money. You can always add the amenities that the other cars trade off on.

Oh and, MT rules crowd checking in.
Jesse36m3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jesse36m3 For This Useful Post:
iSnack0nEmoKidz (04-08-2015), Lorico (04-11-2015), Tcoat (04-08-2015), Teseo (04-10-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 10:13 AM   #7
AsianStyle

Drives: Whiteout FR-S MT
I personally would go new, since the price difference is almost non existent and you get the peace of mind that no one else did something dumb in the car.

I don't have a problem with the auto and was close of getting the auto due to daily commute/traffic concerns, but once I stepped back and looked at it. I was buying this car over much more expensive cars purely out of driving enjoyment. This car is not very practical and people purchase it because it is fun, so I went all in on fun and chose the manual and have no regrets.

That being said, I would stay away from the 2013 vehicles unless the owner can give you documentation that the car's ECU was re-flashed or you get it re-flashed. The only real serious issue with this car were early 2013 models that were on the original shitty Subaru tune.

The difference between the FRS and BRZ is all down to preference. I would suggest going with the one that gives you a better deal and/or the one that has the better dealership/service.
AsianStyle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AsianStyle For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
gramicci101
Off Topic

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 4,243 Times in 2,170 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
I wouldn't get a '13 just because it's the first model year and they didn't have the bugs worked out yet.

Between the '14 and '15, that's tough. I don't know what amenities the '15 FRS has, but I think a BRZ Limited still tops it unless you get a release series or some sort of special edition. It really depends on what you put your priorities on. They're both the same speed, handle similarly, and look the same except for the front bumper, so it comes down to which front bumper and which interior amenities you want. I went for the HID headlights, alcantara seats, and push-button start on a BRZ Limited, but this is also my third Subaru so I'm kind of a brand whore at this point.
gramicci101 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gramicci101 For This Useful Post:
cdrazic93 (04-08-2015), Tcoat (04-08-2015)
Old 04-08-2015, 11:30 AM   #9
iSnack0nEmoKidz
Fried Rice Fanatic

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2013
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
They all sound pretty good... But i would think the interest rate on the 2015 Frs will be a little better than the BRZ. Also, how are the roads/traffic in Boston? Ive never been and dont know much about it so that will also be a good factor and consideration. Some people are sitting in traffic for ages, so getting an automatic would make sense. Also, I believe the limited brZ comes with some snazzy heated options vs the frs doesnt have it, but I could be wrong :p

Manual is ezpz to learn so dont let that deter you. It just takes about a few hours to learn and then you are rolling.
iSnack0nEmoKidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 03:50 PM   #10
lisaaaxo

Drives: -
Thanks, everyone.

Ultimately, I'd like to learn how to drive manual for 'just to know' reasons, but don't know how tedious it'll get after awhile, even though no one really seems to complain about shifting for performance reasons.

Any insight on the suspensions?

I read that some of the models are tail-happy, exactly how tail-happy are we talking? I'm still young & I have careless moments (work in progress, happens to the best of us though), so I don't want to end up in a ditch. I know it's not a Ferrari or anything, but I don't live in sunny Philadelphia & I've had some (probably inevitable) complications with driving during the past winter. Does the handling balance out the tail-happiness of it?

Boston's weather was pretty bad this year as we had 110 inches of snow... will definitely need snow tires esp with the RWD. The roads get busted preceding winter season due to all the salt/ice/plowing. Potholes here and there.

Last edited by lisaaaxo; 04-08-2015 at 04:17 PM.
lisaaaxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 04:20 PM   #11
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisaaaxo View Post
Thanks, everyone.

Ultimately, I'd like to learn how to drive manual for 'just to know' reasons, but don't know how tedious it'll get after awhile, even though no one really seems to complain about shifting for performance reasons.
It will only be tedious if you think its tedious, no one can decide that for you. I've driven manuals in full-blown DC traffic commuting for over 150,000 miles, and never minded it because it eventually just becomes "automatic" like steering does. Others can't stand it as you will see in the multitude of threads on here about MT vs AT.

Quote:
I read that some of the models are tail-happy, exactly how tail-happy are we talking? I'm still young sometimes I get careless, so I don't want to end up in a ditch. I know it's not a Ferrari or anything, but I don't live in sunny Philadelphia & I've had some (probably inevitable) complications with driving during the past winter. Does the handling balance out the tail-happiness of it?

Boston's weather was pretty bad this year as we had 110 inches of snow... will definitely need snow tires esp with the RWD. The roads get busted preceding winter season due to all the salt/ice/plowing. Potholes here and there.
Either model is tail happy if you turn off the nannies and drive with them off. The FR-S is a little more tail happy under normal conditions than the BRZ because of the way it is tuned. The later model FRS less so.

Do not buy this car for Winter driving in Boston if you cannot afford, or do not intend to buy full blown winter tires. You will most likely crash it with all-season tires, and will definitely crash it with the summer tires.
@Tcoat can give you some real experience thoughts about driving it in winter weather. Me, well, that's what my Suburban is for. My one experience was not good (summer tires), but I didn't wreck it. I had enough sense to turn around and park it before I did something stupid.

Old 04-08-2015, 04:45 PM   #12
cdrazic93
Junior

Drives: a car
Thanked 2,512 Times in 1,502 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
I read a few replies, but i didnt see anyone say anything about the 2013 MY, theres tid bits that they overlooked on the first model year, which were subsiquently cleaned up. Gramicci covered that, my bad lol.

Yes, manual is fun to drive.

The automatic is damn good, and will hold more power as I havent seen any explode. (If you plan on going FI eventually), lots of upgrades for the stock valvebodies torque converter and clutch plates as well. Just a heads up.
"Ah! What music! They could have never imagined, those pioneers who invented the automobile, that it would posses us like this, our imaginations, our dreams. Men love women, but even more than that, men love CARS!"-Lord Hesketh
cdrazic93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:10 PM   #13
serialk11r

Drives: '06 AM V8V Coupe
Thanked 1,074 Times in 759 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Since you're not sure about manual:

Do automatic transmissions ever bother you? Does having to hold down the brake bother you?

If no, you might get tired of driving stick. If yes, then you'll prefer the clutching and shifting without a doubt.
serialk11r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:57 PM   #14
CatDaddysBBQ

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Thanks, everyone.

Any insight on the suspensions?

I read that some of the models are tail-happy, exactly how tail-happy are we talking? I'm still young & I have careless moments (work in progress, happens to the best of us though), so I don't want to end up in a ditch. I know it's not a Ferrari or anything, but I don't live in sunny Philadelphia & I've had some (probably inevitable) complications with driving during the past winter. Does the handling balance out the tail-happiness of it?

It's a rwd car with a LSD. Its tail happy.

But as far as those go, this one is not overpowered, so if you are getting into your first rwd car, it's a good start. Leave TC and ESC on and it won't get out of control whatsoever.

As far as snow is concerned, make sure you get a second set of snow tires (better yet a second set of wheels and snow tires). It doesn't make the. Car GReAT in winters, but doable.

I'd really ask yourself if you are buying it because it looks cool or if you really want a small, rwd sports car, because that's what you are buying. If you DO, than the impractical side of it and the winter issue is worth the trouble. If not, it's probably going to be a decision you regret.
CatDaddysBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brz, fr-s