follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 08-11-2018, 10:15 AM   #1
Faber86

Drives: GT86 m.y. 2018
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Best Selling Exhaust among Italian GT86 community

Hi Guys!

I recently made a video about the above mentioned topic, and since it quite a good sounding, cost/weight effective option, I thought that you guys might have been interested in it.

There we go:

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs8SoGtf2YI&t=[/ame]

I tried to be as neutral and transparent as possible, I'm not getting any money from Aros, in fact I'm still experimenting among other configurations with the HKS legamax premium that I've got and I do prefer the latter in some of them.

Let me know what you guys think
Faber86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Faber86 For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (08-12-2018), JBezugs (08-11-2018), Williampreza (08-13-2018)
Old 08-11-2018, 10:23 AM   #2
GrantedTaken
Banned

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I thought this was going to be a Jersey Shore kind of thing.
GrantedTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:43 PM   #3
EdBoy
Driver

Drives: 16 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrantedTaken View Post
I thought this was going to be a Jersey Shore kind of thing.
Haha I was thinking the same.
Old 08-12-2018, 12:13 AM   #4
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Pretty cool - thanks for sharing something we don’t see here often in the United States.
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:52 AM   #5
FRSBRZGT86FAN

Drives: 2023 GR SUPRA,15 FR-S (SOLD)
Thanked 2,100 Times in 1,397 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJasonKlein View Post
Pretty cool - thanks for sharing something we don’t see here often in the United States.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faber86 View Post
Hi Guys!

I recently made a video about the above mentioned topic, and since it quite a good sounding, cost/weight effective option, I thought that you guys might have been interested in it.

I tried to be as neutral and transparent as possible, I'm not getting any money from Aros, in fact I'm still experimenting among other configurations with the HKS legamax premium that I've got and I do prefer the latter in some of them.

Let me know what you guys think

I'm kind of curious, why does the italian community need a different exhaust than other vendors?

Is it just shipping cost, or a emissions/decibel issue that other products don't provide?

Or is this just a review for the italian community to consider?
*SOLD*OFT Stage 2 UEL E85/Nameless Performance 3 inch axleback with 5 inch mufflers/ TRD CAI / CNT UEL/ Cusco Strut BAR & LHD Brake Stop / "JDM" Toyota Badges / WinJet JDM headlights - DRL MOD from fteightysix.com - 5000K Diode Dynamics HID kit / Diode Dynamics LED interior Lights and sidemarker bulbs / JDM Clear Sidemarkers / Diode Dynamics LED switchbacks/ OLM LED rear turn signals / Tap Turn Relay*SOLD*
FRSBRZGT86FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 03:13 AM   #6
RJasonKlein

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S 10 Series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSBRZGT86FAN View Post
I'm kind of curious, why does the italian community need a different exhaust than other vendors?

Is it just shipping cost, or a emissions/decibel issue that other products don't provide?

@Faber86 will certainly know more about his home market than me, but I assume that it has more to do with an Italian company simply selling locally than the exhaust meeting any specific or unique requirements for the Italian market. Manufacturing and selling locally means that the manufacturer may have a competitive advantage by having reduced shipping costs on a heavy item, national brand recognition, customers that prefer to support their home country, and the avoidance of currency exchange fluctuations that may adversely affect price. @Faber86, does the Italian market share EU noise and other legal requirements, or are they unique to Italy?
RJasonKlein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RJasonKlein For This Useful Post:
FRSBRZGT86FAN (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 03:38 AM   #7
RIĐO

Drives: orange car
@FRSBRZGT86FAN

In most EU you need approved parts if you want to modify your car. You can't just put different wheels or exhaust on your car without a certificate. It is A LOT more difficult to mod your car. Spoilers, body kits, wide rims, forced induction is almost mission impossible. I have spent abou 10k eur just to get my AVO kit legal for example. It is hard and expensive. There are countries like UK or Bulgaria that have looser laws but most of the other countries are realy strict when it comes to modification. Everything is based on TUV, ABE or ECE approvals. If you try to find parts with this certificates you go crazy.
RIĐO is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RIĐO For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2018, 05:30 AM   #8
Kodename47

Drives: UK GT86
Thanked 1,629 Times in 1,112 Posts
Mentioned: 155 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
FWIW here in the UK the most common exhausts at the moment are Cobra and Tuning Developments. Then that is usually followed by any of the JDM offerings. US made stuff is rarely chosen, primarily as the UK made stuff is cheaper and then the JDM fanbois lap up those others.

I would assume that the 2 I mentioned from the UK are rarely, if at all, bought in the US

Kodename 47 DJ:
Soundcloud / Instagram / Facebook
Kodename47 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kodename47 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2018, 07:15 AM   #9
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Also note Italy is usually one of the most strict when it comes to mods, as there seems to be regular stories about bunches of cops just randomly stopping everyone and checking everything for illegal aftermarket parts on cars, and then if they find something they tow the car immediately.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:47 AM   #10
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Sort of like California and CARB. Glad I live in a free country.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ernest72 For This Useful Post:
jflogerzi (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 10:59 AM   #11
Faber86

Quote:

Well the reason of this exhaust's success for us here is primarily it's price point, for less than 1K for a resonated catback+front pipe, there's pretty much no other option for us, and keep in mind Italian forum's users do get an additional 8% to 15% discount depending on the amount of users who buy together. (The Hks costed me 300€ just for shipping from uk)

Regulation wise it's quite messy in Italy, the Aros exhaust (with dekat front pipe) is 100% illegal, emission and soundwise, but it has been engineered in a way that is very cop-friendly, which means unless you find a very picky and angry cop who stops you, they won't go as far as check the sound emission volume or bump your hood (which happens very rarerly), and if we need to pass the state's emission test, either we go to a friend, or we just reinstall the oem pieces to pass the test and we're good
The Following User Says Thank You to Faber86 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #12
Faber86

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJasonKlein View Post
@Faber86 will certainly know more about his home market than me, but I assume that it has more to do with an Italian company simply selling locally than the exhaust meeting any specific or unique requirements for the Italian market. Manufacturing and selling locally means that the manufacturer may have a competitive advantage by having reduced shipping costs on a heavy item, national brand recognition, customers that prefer to support their home country, and the avoidance of currency exchange fluctuations that may adversely affect price. @Faber86, does the Italian market share EU noise and other legal requirements, or are they unique to Italy?
Yes pretty much all you said,
And yes we do need to align to Eu emission regulation,
my 86 is (was) a euro 6.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIĐO View Post
@FRSBRZGT86FAN

In most EU you need approved parts if you want to modify your car. You can't just put different wheels or exhaust on your car without a certificate. It is A LOT more difficult to mod your car. Spoilers, body kits, wide rims, forced induction is almost mission impossible. I have spent abou 10k eur just to get my AVO kit legal for example. It is hard and expensive. There are countries like UK or Bulgaria that have looser laws but most of the other countries are realy strict when it comes to modification. Everything is based on TUV, ABE or ECE approvals. If you try to find parts with this certificates you go crazy.
Much true as well,
Though fun fact: TUV certification is not valid here in Italy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Faber86 For This Useful Post:
RIĐO (08-12-2018), RJasonKlein (08-12-2018)
Old 08-12-2018, 11:26 AM   #13
RIĐO

Drives: orange car
@Faber86

Porco dio no TUV!? Are police afraid your tuned JDM might outrun their lamborghini cop cars? well you can't have both a nice country and cool tuning laws I guess
RIĐO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #14
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faber86 View Post
Regulation wise it's quite messy in Italy, the Aros exhaust (with dekat front pipe) is 100% illegal, emission and soundwise, but it has been engineered in a way that is very cop-friendly, which means unless you find a very picky and angry cop who stops you, they won't go as far as check the sound emission volume or bump your hood (which happens very rarerly), and if we need to pass the state's emission test, either we go to a friend, or we just reinstall the oem pieces to pass the test and we're good
Greetings from Germany . I was quite sure that the exhaust is illegal. The sound level is high.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aros, catback, exhaust, gt86, italian