follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 02-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #1
klondike

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited with Perform Pkg
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Magellan GPS

Have a '17 BRZa. I am trying to figure out how to get Magellan GPS on my screen. Any ideas? Seems you have to subscribe to Starlink, first. How to do that?
Old 02-11-2018, 12:28 PM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
https://www.subaru.com/owners/starlink
Old 02-11-2018, 12:33 PM   #3
Brink

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Don't waste your time/money using magellan, it's garbage. Takes forever to load the app and then locate an address/generate the route when you first start it. You'll probably be sitting there for like 5 minutes just getting it ready to go. If you're using an iPhone it requires that the phone be plugged into the car, it can't just use bluetooth, and then the app crashes frequently and requires that you disconnect and reconnect the phone to get it running again. I even had one destination where magellan couldn't locate the address.
Brink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brink For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (02-11-2018), Tcoat (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
klondike

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited with Perform Pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Don't waste your time/money using magellan, it's garbage. Takes forever to load the app and then locate an address/generate the route when you first start it. You'll probably be sitting there for like 5 minutes just getting it ready to go. If you're using an iPhone it requires that the phone be plugged into the car, it can't just use bluetooth, and then the app crashes frequently and requires that you disconnect and reconnect the phone to get it running again. I even had one destination where magellan couldn't locate the address.
Whew thanks for the heads up. I guess I will stick with Google (and Apple) maps on my iPhone. BTW I solved the where to put my iPhone in the BRZ; Aukey makes a vent magnet that extends out about a half inch more that the standard one, Works Great.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #5
Bristecom

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Yeah, that app is so worthless it's practically a scam. I can't believe they actually charge money for it. And they haven't bothered updating/fixing it at all.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:14 PM   #6
gravitylover

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Google maps is just about the best out there. It gives you real time traffic too so it will change the route along the way if something happens that would slow you down. It's also updated constantly so new road changes and construction are taken into account and it will even route you around school zones at certain times of day.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:41 PM   #7
Brink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
Google maps is just about the best out there. It gives you real time traffic too so it will change the route along the way if something happens that would slow you down. It's also updated constantly so new road changes and construction are taken into account and it will even route you around school zones at certain times of day.
Yeah, only reason I even tried magellan to begin with was so I could have the map on the head unit instead of having to mount my phone somewhere. Turns out using google maps on my phone is infinitely better than that worthless app.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brink For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (02-13-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 06:47 PM   #8
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
X3, I do use it sometimes It is only slightly useful on long trips.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 06:51 PM   #9
Brink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
X3, I do use it sometimes It is only slightly useful on long trips.
Not useful on long trips when it crashes every 20 miles and you have to fiddle around with unplugging the phone, plugging it back in, and restarting the app while driving. Hopefully when that does happen you're on a stretch of highway and not actually in need of directions for a few minutes so you don't miss your exit/turn.
The Following User Says Thank You to Brink For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (03-05-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 07:01 PM   #10
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Not useful on long trips when it crashes every 20 miles and you have to fiddle around with unplugging the phone, plugging it back in, and restarting the app while driving. Hopefully when that does happen you're on a stretch of highway and not actually in need of directions for a few minutes so you don't miss your exit/turn.
Mine has not crashed on long trips? But anyway I think we aggree that this is a poor solution to put nav in our cars! Better off downloading Waze.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 07:13 PM   #11
OfficeWorker

Drives: 2018 WRX STI
It's comical how terrible it is. Like I'd say a barium enema is more enjoyable than fighting with it. The fact that they want you to pay to [try to and fail to] use it is just amazing...they should pay Users $29.99 (each trip, each way) for using it.

But I also find it comical how I can't use Waze with CarPlay, and half a decade after touchscreens have become commonplace on cars with high-speed I/O in a world where smartphones dominate our lifestyles and automakers constantly brag about safety/situational awareness I still consistently cannot get Waze to show up on built-in displays.

Why are automotive UIs so consistently bad? Literally, they all suck...some more than others, but sometimes it seems as if there was zero usability system that went into the design. Some of these "App designers" must have been high on methamphetamine when they wrote some of these programs...
OfficeWorker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 08:08 PM   #12
Brink

Saw this thread pop up in this section, looks like it got moved from where it was posted originally. Just clicked it to make sure it was the same thread as before so nobody would miss the warning on just how bad magellan is.