follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2015, 10:19 PM   #1
ScionFR-S

Drives: Raven Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation A/T FRS ... Does Your Hesitate ?! Granny Tranny

hey guys so heres my issue or dilemma

this only happens really on an uphill and low speed keep this in mind.
im going up a hill slow and decide to pass someone and go around i put the pedal down about 70% and the rpms dip down low and theres very little throttle response, takes about a full 1-2 seconds before the rpms and A/T Tranny shfit into the proper gear. now i dont know if this is normal or is a common experience or what. what are the possibilities?
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

ScionFR-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 07:01 AM   #2
ScionFR-S

Bump
"To make it in America you need three things, a smile, a gun, and a plan. If you need to give up one thing, give up the smile. If you need to give something else up, lose the gun. But never, ever, give up your plan."

Old 08-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #3
kuidaore

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
There's a delay on the ECU to detect the throttle based on what you want it to do. You can downshift with the paddles temporarily if you really want an immediate response to avoid the delay or use manual mode to stick to the gear you want.
kuidaore is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kuidaore For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (08-30-2015), soulreapersteve (08-16-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 08:49 AM   #4
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
To be honest, this is one of the more responsive Automatics I have ever driven and have not noticed that. Try the paddles next time and see how that goes
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 08:51 AM   #5
ScionFR-S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuidaore View Post
There's a delay on the ECU to detect the throttle based on what you want it to do. You can downshift with the paddles temporarily if you really want an immediate response to avoid the delay or use manual mode to stick to the gear you want.
Yeah it only happens at low rpms on uphill or an incline really I was just wondering if it was normal or if my car was "totaled"

Old 08-16-2015, 09:31 AM   #6
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuidaore View Post
This ^^

I love how the ECU knows what you want to do.

"You driving up a hill? Let me downshift into a lower gear for you."

"You driving like you stole it? Let me downshift and stay in a lower gear for you."
The Twins make me smile
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 11:50 AM   #7
makesdrivingfunagain

Drives: 2013 FR-S
I have a AT and drove it this morning up hill (about 1.5 hr ago) It really makes a huge difference to put it in Sport Mode when going uphill. It keeps it at a higher rpm than regular mode. I thought I read this in the manual or at least somewhere. Anyways, when I ever I am going up hill I put it in sport mode and it makes a HUGE improvement. Let us know what you think. I have been doing this for quite some time. I have owned the FR-S for over 2 years now and no issues with the trans, and believe me I drive it. However, I know what it is like to drive this up certain hills that are steep in regular mode. Sport mode is the way to go. Or, like the others mentioned you can do manual, but then we have an automatic. Sport mode.. when going up hills..!!
makesdrivingfunagain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
Euro7R

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionFR-S View Post
hey guys so heres my issue or dilemma

this only happens really on an uphill and low speed keep this in mind.
im going up a hill slow and decide to pass someone and go around i put the pedal down about 70% and the rpms dip down low and theres very little throttle response, takes about a full 1-2 seconds before the rpms and A/T Tranny shfit into the proper gear. now i dont know if this is normal or is a common experience or what. what are the possibilities?
What rpm are you at during hill climbs? Eg. If you're at 1500rpm and going up a hill and you floor the gas pedal, it appears normal for a 1-2 sec delay before the car downshifts to a lower gear for you.
Euro7R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 02:06 PM   #9
sofrsnsokleen
GEARS!!???

Drives: raven black 2013 scion fr-s
Location: the southeast side of san antonio, where the players play!
Quote:
Originally Posted by makesdrivingfunagain View Post
I have a AT and drove it this morning up hill (about 1.5 hr ago) It really makes a huge difference to put it in Sport Mode when going uphill. It keeps it at a higher rpm than regular mode. I thought I read this in the manual or at least somewhere. Anyways, when I ever I am going up hill I put it in sport mode and it makes a HUGE improvement. Let us know what you think. I have been doing this for quite some time. I have owned the FR-S for over 2 years now and no issues with the trans, and believe me I drive it. However, I know what it is like to drive this up certain hills that are steep in regular mode. Sport mode is the way to go. Or, like the others mentioned you can do manual, but then we have an automatic. Sport mode.. when going up hills..!!
This right here...
Actually barely started using sport mode after having it for a few years already... yes, i'm a bit conservative. I noticed this fixes any real delay you might have in traffic or uphill. It seems when in normal mode, unless you are really pushing the pedal down, the AT is going to be geared more towards MPGS
sofrsnsokleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 03:28 PM   #10
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,943 Times in 11,378 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofrsnsokleen View Post
Actually barely started using sport mode after having it for a few years already... yes, i'm a bit conservative. I noticed this fixes any real delay you might have in traffic or uphill...

I rarely use sports mode, but I also rarely depend on the AT to downshift. If I want acceleration I almost aways "double tap" the paddles down. I know what I want before the AT does, and it shifts faster than I do, so it all works out.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 08-17-2015 at 07:43 AM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
soulreapersteve (08-17-2015)
Old 08-16-2015, 04:28 PM   #11
Euro7R

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
The car always wants to be in its highest gear for economy fuel reasons. Feels like it's always lugging the engine in 5th gear, around 1500rpm. I practically never drive in normal mode for that very reason, unless I'm in that "fuel saving" type of mood.
Euro7R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2015, 04:42 PM   #12
pantdino

Drives: Firestorm 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
I also use sport mode in traffic bc it locks the torque convertor in all gears so you can use engine braking for slowing rather than having to tap the brakes so frequently. And def much faster throttle response when you want to accelerate NOW rather than in 1-2 secs.
Old 08-17-2015, 06:42 AM   #13
ScionFR-S

So I'm guessing this is normal lol

Old 08-17-2015, 10:59 AM   #14
kuidaore

Drives: FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScionFR-S View Post
So I'm guessing this is normal lol
Yes
kuidaore is offline   Reply With Quote