follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

View Poll Results: COBB Accessport
Yes 235 81.88%
No thanks 52 18.12%
Voters: 287. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 01-08-2014, 09:28 PM   #169
SubyMcFly
Austin, TX

Drives: You Up The Wall
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I've always had bad experiences with the local COBB people. Bad customer service, and they think they are gods gift when I see them around town. Even the guy I met at church that works there.

Maybe it's just their design center here in Austin that is full of not nice people. Just my experiences.
SubyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SubyMcFly For This Useful Post:
Toyota John (08-19-2016)
Old 01-08-2014, 09:34 PM   #170
SubyMcFly
Austin, TX

Drives: You Up The Wall
I say to stay away COBB, we don't need you. I'd prefer someone like Hondata to get in the game. They know NA motors like nobodies business. They make power out of what you would never believe there was power to be had.

I think that's the problem with COBB, their systems are meant to make easy power quickly and not so much pull every last hp out of it. They can impress people when it's a platform that simply needs a turn of a dial, but when there is 20 tables to pull out hp, forget it they get lost in all the knobs. Hondata does this all day long, and produces results.

Wouldn't that be funny though, first we have Subaru and Toyota come together on a car, and then Hondata comes in and dominates the tuning for them...

It will never happen. Forget Hondata.
SubyMcFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:10 PM   #171
MysteryMachine

Drives: 2014 SWP BRZ, 2002 Bugeye OBS
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubyMcFly View Post
I say to stay away COBB, we don't need you. I'd prefer someone like Hondata to get in the game. They know NA motors like nobodies business. They make power out of what you would never believe there was power to be had.

I think that's the problem with COBB, their systems are meant to make easy power quickly and not so much pull every last hp out of it. They can impress people when it's a platform that simply needs a turn of a dial, but when there is 20 tables to pull out hp, forget it they get lost in all the knobs. Hondata does this all day long, and produces results.

Wouldn't that be funny though, first we have Subaru and Toyota come together on a car, and then Hondata comes in and dominates the tuning for them...

It will never happen. Forget Hondata.
You forget that Cobb used to be the NA experts on the impreza platform before the WRX. I have a Cobb intake and engine-back on my non-turbo 2002 and they had far and away the most HP gains over any other intakes or headers and did many rounds of research and tweaking of their parts to eek out every single HP that was possible. They also had cams and many many other engine parts they developed and sold.

Now all that said I don't know if Cobb is the same company/people now as it was then but please don't bash Cobb when you don't know their history.

Sent from my Moto X via Tapatalk
Old 01-08-2014, 11:15 PM   #172
utekineir
blowhard

Drives: frs, project forester
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Does "reevaluate in the near future" mean stand on the shoulders of the open tuning, adapt it into the access tuner software and put a new sticker on the access port box?

Cause that seems like a pretty smart way to go about getting into the market to me
utekineir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 02:14 AM   #173
Td-d
Garden variety obsessive

Drives: 2009 Sti Hatch; 2015 Audi RSQ3
Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have to agree with MysteryMachine - it's not like the NA ecus are so fundamentally different from the FI roms that it takes any kind of 'special' understanding. And frankly, Bill (who drove the open source definitions for many years as Merchgod) probably knows these roms better than anyone out there.

Fact is that it is more difficult to extract power from NA motors. COBB took a commercial decision on the basis of bang for buck. Your development costs etc are the same for NA and FI, yet the power gains (and hence perceived value) for the end user are fundamentally different. Makes perfect sense to me.
Td-d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #174
FRSRVA
RaVeN rider

Drives: Raven Black 2013 Scion FR-S
Definitely need AP for FRS

I got a raven black frs a little over a month ago and can't wait to get started on adding on some extra flare in performance.
Attached Images

FRSRVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #175
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FRSRVA View Post
I got a raven black frs a little over a month ago and can't wait to get started on adding on some extra flare in performance.
Welcome fellow RVA'er!

Don't hold your breath on cobb, though.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:50 PM   #176
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
That's too bad.

I had a Cobb AP for my Mazdaspeed3. The difference it made was HUMONGOUS.
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:53 PM   #177
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS + MS3 View Post
That's too bad.

I had a Cobb AP for my Mazdaspeed3. The difference it made was HUMONGOUS.
bcuz terb0

Cobb's in the GTR/boost game.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 05:54 PM   #178
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Cobb could have made a fortune with off the shelf maps and also Vortech maps etc ... just like ECUtek has.

Poor business decision entirely.
Old 01-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #179
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by empower-auto View Post
Cobb could have made a fortune with off the shelf maps and also Vortech maps etc ... just like ECUtek has.

Poor business decision entirely.
They have been in the business for a long time. If they THINK it would have made a good chunk of profit for them, they would have done it already.

Why would Cobb invest their time and $ for maximum couple hundred of FI-ed 86 owners? And OTS maps for FI-ed NA base engine? Really?

If Toyobaru boosts the engine from the factory in the future, I'm sure they will jump on it.
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JS + BRZ For This Useful Post:
1086 (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 06:04 PM   #180

Drives: UM86 - 6MT
I actually don't believe it is a bad business decision. It is in fact smart - due to the company's focus it logically wouldn't make sense to delve into the 86 market - especially when you look at the other available options, like the OFT in particular which is basically covering everything you want and need, but just has a different brand name. The market for FI'd 86's will be low relative to other stock FI cars like the wrx, sti, ms3, etc. - so in the long term or short term its not that much of a benefit to Cobb.
1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1086 For This Useful Post:
JS + BRZ (01-09-2014)
Old 01-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #181
Bad Habits

Drives: br zed
My money is on they are waiting to see what happens with the 2nd gen of these cars. If they did not do it in the beginning why would they jump in now? When it's released there is or is not a factory turbo they will make their decision.
Bad Habits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2014, 06:58 PM   #182
empower-auto
Kouki-Monster

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS + MS3 View Post
They have been in the business for a long time. If they THINK it would have made a good chunk of profit for them, they would have done it already.

Why would Cobb invest their time and $ for maximum couple hundred of FI-ed 86 owners? And OTS maps for FI-ed NA base engine? Really?

If Toyobaru boosts the engine from the factory in the future, I'm sure they will jump on it.
In case you missed out - tons of NA owners are using ECUtek OTS roms. The amount of FI users is growing .. geometrically. The forecast for this car was set in stone the day it was announced. Cobb just made a poor move. Not a game-ender .. but just a poor choice. Of course they will jump on it if factory boost becomes available but that doesn't make up for the fact they could have already been in the game.