follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-01-2018, 11:44 AM   #127
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Funny I had a 2013 BRZ Limited when they came out and then needed more room and traded in for a 15 WRX when those came out. Fast forward a few years and I have a 17 Focus RS. 7K miles into the car I love it. I can fit my whole family in the car in a pinch (my wife drives an 18 Odyssey). I live in New England so it's perfect for all weather with just a simple tire swap.

But I may change jobs in a few months which will mean a longer commute. I'm contemplating grabbing a used FT86 as both a project car as well as something I can drive 2-3 days a week to work. You can find low low mileage nice ones for under $20K which is real bargain for what these cars are.

Also thinking about a Miata and 370Z but my heart always goes back to the FT86.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 07:54 AM   #128
instrument_guy

Drives: 2016 BRZ Sport-Tech 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thill View Post
Funny I had a 2013 BRZ Limited when they came out and then needed more room and traded in for a 15 WRX when those came out. Fast forward a few years and I have a 17 Focus RS. 7K miles into the car I love it. I can fit my whole family in the car in a pinch (my wife drives an 18 Odyssey). I live in New England so it's perfect for all weather with just a simple tire swap.

But I may change jobs in a few months which will mean a longer commute. I'm contemplating grabbing a used FT86 as both a project car as well as something I can drive 2-3 days a week to work. You can find low low mileage nice ones for under $20K which is real bargain for what these cars are.

Also thinking about a Miata and 370Z but my heart always goes back to the FT86.

I just bought a 2016 brz as a daily to keep my truck from getting miled out. We have a 16 focus rs that my wife daily drives. The brz definitely has a more comfy ride than the focus and gets better gas mileage. I put some Continental winter tires on the brz and it get around fine up here in the winter. My other summer car is an fd rx7. The reason i bought the brz was i wanted a light weight (hence no 370z) front engine, rear drive car that could somewhat parallel the driving experience of the rx7. Plus, the brz has ac, a radio, heated seats and power steering. The price of a pre-owned one sealed the deal for me. Ive only had mine a couple of weeks, its a great little car!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
instrument_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to instrument_guy For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (02-18-2019)
Old 02-19-2019, 10:37 AM   #129
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
I bought one of the early RS's to hit Florida.

Paid MSRP.

It spent 1 day at the dealership for warranty work in almost 30whatever thousand miles before I traded it for the 1LE. My BRZ spent MANY days at the dealer for various warranty repairs so it's pretty damn funny when I hear about how unreliable the Focus RS is.

The only reason I sold mine is because it would overheat a bit at the track, even with a massive oil cooler, during the summer in Florida. Otherwise, it was probably the best mixed usage car I've ever owned. It's an absolutely wonderful daily driver.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 09:14 AM   #130
Blue Bird

Drives: '14 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I bought one of the early RS's to hit Florida.

Paid MSRP.

It spent 1 day at the dealership for warranty work in almost 30whatever thousand miles before I traded it for the 1LE. My BRZ spent MANY days at the dealer for various warranty repairs so it's pretty damn funny when I hear about how unreliable the Focus RS is.

The only reason I sold mine is because it would overheat a bit at the track, even with a massive oil cooler, during the summer in Florida. Otherwise, it was probably the best mixed usage car I've ever owned. It's an absolutely wonderful daily driver.
How rough is the ride quality compare to the Brz? I always read the suspension is really stiff. I can't imagine it is any worse than the twins?
Blue Bird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 10:51 AM   #131
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
How rough is the ride quality compare to the Brz? I always read the suspension is really stiff. I can't imagine it is any worse than the twins?
With the suspension in sport/track mode it's one of the worst riding cars I've ever been in. Even in normal mode it's badly overdamped, in sport/track suspension mode it's insanely overdamped.

The dampers were not well tuned for the car IMO.

Now to be fair I never really noticed how bad it was in Florida where we have generally smooth roads but I HATED it in California when I drove a buddies from San Fran to Thunderhill raceway and back. I could have also been used to the MUCH better riding Camaro by that point.

The CTR actually has a really good ride in comparison. Golf R is too soft in my admittedly limited experience.

I don't recall the BRZ with stock suspension to be harsh at all but I haven't driven one with stock suspension in 5? years.
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
Blue Bird (02-20-2019), strat61caster (02-20-2019)
Old 02-20-2019, 05:05 PM   #132
Gonzos86

Drives: 2018 Toyota 86
Sold my Focus to get the 86. Speed is not everything. Handling is.
Gonzos86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 03:26 PM   #133
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The style of BRZ already won the RS.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:47 AM   #134
thill

Drives: 2020 SS1LE (previous 13 BRZ owner)
Thanked 1,463 Times in 802 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Bird View Post
It can be rough on bad pavement. Late 2017 and all 18 RS's have revised dampers that help. Even just some inexpensive springs will reduce the pogo effect of the RS, but if your sensitive to it and drive on bad roads you are likely looking at coilovers. KW makes a nice setup that allows you to still use the stock settings between normal, Sport and track. Matt Farrah did this to his RS.

My biggest complaint on the RS is the seating position and seat angle. You sit way up and the seats have an odd incline. They are comfortable seats (I have the Recaros) but it makes me feel disconnected from the road.

The RS is a great all purpose car and handles like a beast in dry, rain, snow, etc. But compared to s BRZ it doesn't have the same driver feel.
thill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 09:41 AM   #135
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
There's a Focus RS that goes to my local track. The guy that owns it is admittedly a much better driver than I am. I've ridden with him, and he knows that car intimately, he's exceptionally good at getting it to rotate to apex on command without overdoing it, something I'm still working on myself. Despite this, when we're on track together he's constantly ending up giving me the point bys. Neither of us is really "racing", since we're just getting seat time on an open day, but I consistently set better laptimes than he does, despite my admission that he's a better driver and the fact he's on stickier tires. I was out there on Michelin PS4S with a few heat cycles, and he was out there on Toyo R888Rs.

I honestly think the way power delivery works in the Focus RS, the higher CoG, and the much worse seats all play a part in how it creates driver confidence and what results it generates on track. It's not even a question for me, I'd take a BRZ w/ good tires and brakes over a Focus RS any day.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 05:03 PM   #136
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
There's a Focus RS that goes to my local track. The guy that owns it is admittedly a much better driver than I am. I've ridden with him, and he knows that car intimately, he's exceptionally good at getting it to rotate to apex on command without overdoing it, something I'm still working on myself. Despite this, when we're on track together he's constantly ending up giving me the point bys. Neither of us is really "racing", since we're just getting seat time on an open day, but I consistently set better laptimes than he does, despite my admission that he's a better driver and the fact he's on stickier tires. I was out there on Michelin PS4S with a few heat cycles, and he was out there on Toyo R888Rs.

I honestly think the way power delivery works in the Focus RS, the higher CoG, and the much worse seats all play a part in how it creates driver confidence and what results it generates on track. It's not even a question for me, I'd take a BRZ w/ good tires and brakes over a Focus RS any day.
The faster car on faster tires with the faster driver being slower times either account's for a lot of confidence or something is up. I'd have thought the fancy awd machine would be easier to drive than the basic sports car.
Old 02-26-2019, 05:40 PM   #137
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:

You are either selling yourself short or far overselling his talent.

I've driven both on track multiple times and modified BRZs (mine and @Opie car) haven't beaten my laptimes in my old stock (I don't count brake pads and fluid as mods and everything I track has that) Focus RS.

And it's not like a .5 second different.. it's a 5-6 second difference a lap at Sebring.

Just for reference sebring laptimes in my cars are consistently:
Camaro (stock): 2:26-2:27
Focus RS (stock): 2:34-2:35
Opie's BRZ (h/e/tune tarmac 2 re71r): 2:40 (I did 2:39s with my old BRZ, haven't run the new one yet)
Integra Type-R (i/h/e and 2 way coilovers): 2:39

Now perhaps on a very tight short technical track the weight of the RS will allow the BRZ to be right there with it, but on a normal track I just don't see that happening.

I'm not putting the FT86 down, but they just don't have the power to compete with the more powerful cars. They make up time under braking and, to an extent, corner speeds although I don't recall them having higher much higher corner speeds than the Focus. I also haven't looked at the Solo data from the Focus in about 2 years to remember the corner speeds/etc.

Last edited by Dave-ROR; 02-26-2019 at 05:51 PM.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:03 PM   #138
Tristor

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
You are either selling yourself short or far overselling his talent.

<SNIP>

Now perhaps on a very tight short technical track the weight of the RS will allow the BRZ to be right there with it, but on a normal track I just don't see that happening.

It's possible I'm overselling his talent. I'm not good enough to really judge how good somebody else is, I suppose, but I felt like he was better than I was at any rate.

FWIW, my local track /is/ a tight short technical track. It's 1.8 miles, 11 turns, and is sponsored by a local Mazda dealer and pretty much 90% of the vehicles on it are Miatas.

I couldn't explain to you why, but that's what went down *shrug*
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 12:28 AM   #139
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Quote:
It's possible I'm overselling his talent. I'm not good enough to really judge how good somebody else is, I suppose, but I felt like he was better than I was at any rate.

FWIW, my local track /is/ a tight short technical track. It's 1.8 miles, 11 turns, and is sponsored by a local Mazda dealer and pretty much 90% of the vehicles on it are Miatas.

I couldn't explain to you why, but that's what went down *shrug*
I've heard that Harris Hill is pretty friendly for the 86 from a buddy that used to live out in Texas so that could play a large role. The RS is HEAVY so it's not the absolute best on a very tight course, it will overheat tires quickly in that scenario.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:29 PM   #140
Dirty Harry

Drives: 2013 BRZ Satin White Pearl
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.ac View Post
Knowing jack shit what you want out of it, I say neither. Get a used 4 door civic for $8k and spend the $2k on hookers and blow.

FYI the $8k 4 door civic will be just as fast as the brz and the rs. The rs is a fat pig by the way.
Lol, that was gold!
Dirty Harry is offline   Reply With Quote