follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook. Interested in the FT-1? Check out FT1Club
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Moto-East
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Scion FR-S Forum | Subaru BRZ Forum | Toyota 86 GT 86 Forum | AS1 Forum - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 10-06-2015, 02:07 PM   #99
avishenoy1

Drives: 2015 FR-S Release Series 1.0
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/mustang-shelby-gt350

Oh god this car looks incredible. 0-60 in 3.7, 1/4 mile in 12s flat.

No boost, no problem.
avishenoy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:15 AM   #100
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliog View Post
I drove the car a while ago. Reposting from another forum:

I only did 3 laps on the GT350R, it was my first time at Laguna Seca IRL, and I'm an average HPDE driver. My impressions:

- I expected to be pinned into the back seat smashing the throttle on 2nd gear but, somehow the car didn't actually feel 500HP fast to me. Very smooth power delivery with no drama, probably thanks to the massive tires and the 3750lbs curb weight with two persons in it. Mind you, I got the same feeling when driving the F8x M3. You don't realize how fast you're going until you look at the speedo.

- Power seemed to peak well before the 8200rpm redline. I don't know, last few hundred RPMs felt a bit underwhelming. But I'm used to peaky NA cars (S2000, FR-S)..

- Engine and exhaust sounded amazing, I'll give it that. It's actually not that loud inside the car... sounds better outside than inside

- I liked the Recaro seats a lot. But you're sitting so low (for a Mustang), and the hood is so high, that it's very hard to place the front tires with confidence and accuracy. Not a big problem in most corners, but going down the corkscrew was scary, not knowing how close I was to putting tires off the track. I assume more seat time in the Mustang and familiarity with Laguna Seca would alleviate this. Again, I'm used to cars with great forward visibility.

- Steering felt good. I was surprised by how small the steering wheel was. Wish steering ratio was faster (but I say this of most cars).

- Nice shifter, relatively long clutch travel with no feel for engagement point. But overall intuitive and very easy to drive. I remember heel and toeing was easy too (much better relative pedal placement than my FR-S).

- Tons of grip. 295F and 305R tires, honestly I didn't come close to exploring the lateral grip limits of the car. Neither did my instructor, who seemed to go barely 6/10ths on my ride along lap (still much faster than me!).

- Handling wise, it had the classic FR balance, very predictable and easy to drive.

- I'm not sure what the damper settings were, but the ride was extremely smooth and going over the the rumbled strips, you would get more feedback from the steering wheel than from the chassis.

- Great stopping power, although I didn't work the brakes as hard as I could have, out of respect for the instructor . But this was one area that was certainly confidence inspiring. Braking was never a worry.

- Car does looks great in person.

- Drove with TC on, it kicked in a couple times, in a rather obvious way. I remember the M3/M4 electronics being way more subtle, allowing for some small, controlled slip angle and making you feel like a hero.

Overall, a very fast, obviously track ready car. Even though I felt connected to the car, it felt physically big to me and the poor front visibility made me slow down in many places to ensure I didn't put wheels off. I personally like smaller cars. It's funny because when I drove the F8x M3, I got the opposite reaction: the car felt smaller and lighter than it really was.

For sure, the best muscle/pony car I've ever driven.

(We were not allowed to record video inside the car. Bummer.)
Great info, thanks for the feedback. The fact that you can contrast it with the F8x M3 is pretty nice as I'm familiar with those cars. Sounds like a track ready car that has some 'liveable' qualities to it. I wonder what the dealer markups will be....
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:30 AM   #101
WolfpackS2k

Drives: '06 Cayman S, '92 DB GS-R, '15 TDI
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Huge horsepower cars that build that power in a linear fashion don't feel as fast. But it's purely an illusion.

How did it sound?!?

Thanks for review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

'07 S2000 - DD & track rat - sold
'92 GS-R - 300k club member
WolfpackS2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:02 PM   #102
tennisfreak

Drives: 2016 Toyota Tundra
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfpackS2k View Post
Huge horsepower cars that build that power in a linear fashion don't feel as fast. But it's purely an illusion.

How did it sound?!?

Thanks for review!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can attest to this as my Vette feels like this as well.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:07 PM   #103
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliog View Post
I drove the car a while ago.
Thanks for the words. Now, you guys need to check out the video @Dezoris posted on Youtube recently about his GT350 event. Saw it last night. He incorporated Ford-camera recorded video from the drive into his review (it was far from ideal but better than nothing).

53Driver (10-07-2015), Dezoris (11-21-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 05:50 PM   #104
bfrank1972

Man just listen to that thing howl on the top end, sort of reminds me of an E92 M3, but much more ferocious and raw sounding. I disagree with the comment to just get a GT and soup it up - bang for buck sure, but it's not like this thing is *that* expensive, and that motor....
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
funwheeldrive (04-26-2017)
Old 10-08-2015, 09:46 PM   #105
synchromesh

Drives: Ultramarine Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
Great info, thanks for the feedback. The fact that you can contrast it with the F8x M3 is pretty nice as I'm familiar with those cars. Sounds like a track ready car that has some 'liveable' qualities to it. I wonder what the dealer markups will be....

The dealer here in Canada claimed he could get me a 2016 GT350 for January a couple months ago. Unfortunately, being so price sensitive to a $5000 markup, prevented an immediate deposit.
synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:54 PM   #106
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,105 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
I figured I'd bump this.

I ended up buying a GT350, the 2017 with the magnetic shocks and the convenience package.

It's absolutely incredible. I have yet to take it to the track, but it's going very soon.
The car isn't like any muscle car I've driven before, it feels very special.

The biggest issue with this car is that you can't find one in New York for sticker price. I got one from Texas in the color i want for sticker, but when you include the price of shipping, i practically paid over sticker, but still saved $5000.

The FRS will be up for sale soon, it'll be below $10k and most likely one of the cheapest cars on the market due to its high mileage.
Tcoat (04-26-2017)
Old 04-25-2017, 10:15 PM   #107
bfrank1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
I figured I'd bump this.

I ended up buying a GT350, the 2017 with the magnetic shocks and the convenience package.

It's absolutely incredible. I have yet to take it to the track, but it's going very soon.

The biggest issue with this car is that you can't find one in New York for sticker price. I got one from Texas in the color i want for sticker, but when you include the price of shipping, i practically paid over sticker, but still saved $5000.

The FRS will be up for sale soon, it'll be below $10k and most likely one of the cheapest cars on the market due to its high mileage.
Congrats! I'm seriously considering moving onto one of these used in a couple years when (hopefully) the prices drop a bit. If you're ever in the SW CT area would love to see it and chat.
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
dem00n (04-25-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 11:05 AM   #108
Tcoat
White Knight Squad

Drives: 14 FRS Hot Lava
Thanked 57,854 Times in 26,046 Posts
Mentioned: 1582 Post(s)
Tagged: 48 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dem00n View Post
I figured I'd bump this.

I had a chance to drive one of these back in the fall and totally agree with this statement.
The handling and driving characteristics are someplace between muscle car and sports car. Not quite either but a bit of both all at the same time.
It was impressive.
dem00n (04-26-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 05:46 PM   #109
rcowboy

Drives: 2017 BRZ Sport-Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Very surprised a brand new 2016 is still sitting in the showroom at a nearby dealership. No Track Package but a $7,000 discount.

Of interest, the offices of Hagan-Berman, states on their website that no retainer fee is necessary to get involved in the lawsuit. It looks like 2016 owners without the Track Package, could get a transmission cooler and upgraded differential parts installed for free. It looks like some 2016 owners could feel entitled to perhaps even more compensation when all the dust settles.
rcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:13 PM   #110
dem00n
Member of the year - 2016

Drives: Scion FRS
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,105 Posts
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcowboy View Post
Very surprised a brand new 2016 is still sitting in the showroom at a nearby dealership. No Track Package but a $7,000 discount.

Of interest, the offices of Hagan-Berman, states on their website that no retainer fee is necessary to get involved in the lawsuit. It looks like 2016 owners without the Track Package, could get a transmission cooler and upgraded differential parts installed for free. It looks like some 2016 owners could feel entitled to perhaps even more compensation when all the dust settles.
The fine lines of the law suit are interesting. Ford says you can track the GT350, unless it's a not track pack car.

Regardless, this lawsuit will change how car companies will advertise and handle their car for track use.