follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-31-2013, 10:05 PM   #323
Opposed

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjohnx View Post
Any idea when he purchased the car? I'm assuming May-June of last year based on mileage?
I actually don't know his purchase date. @Black Tire. I haven't seem him post on here in a while either. Maybe his DI failed??? LOL
Old 07-31-2013, 10:38 PM   #324
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,176 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
I'd be willing to bet I can replicate this problem on ANY stock engine car in 500 miles of driving or less, without ever mechanically overrevving the car, burning the clutch, etc.

I'd need a private road to do it on though... don't want to get pulled over.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:46 PM   #325
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
I'd be willing to bet I can replicate this problem on ANY stock engine car in 500 miles of driving or less, without ever mechanically overrevving the car, burning the clutch, etc.

If you can't, can I get a set of JRZs?
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:50 PM   #326
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
If you can't, can I get a set of JRZs?
You can purchase a set regardless

I'd also pretty sure I have more JRZ tuning experience on the FRS/BRZ than any vendor here...
Old 08-01-2013, 03:57 AM   #327
suaveflooder

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,052 Times in 664 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:

Just by driving hard, high rpm's and shifting fast? Honest question.
suaveflooder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #328
regal

Drives: Scion FR-S/Toyota Yaris
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post

Yes I would trust a root cause report that duplicates the failure mode from a true enthusiast like Mike much more than some memo from a dealership's field rep half way across the world.

Mike PM sent.

thanks.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
Tactrix ZA1JB01C 2014 Calib
regal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #329
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:

So what does that prove? There are many built motors for racing that won't last a 500 mile race.. Every engine has its limits. This is a stock engine not designed or strengthened for the rigors of racing..
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #330
regal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikem53 View Post
So what does that prove? There are many built motors for racing that won't last a 500 mile race.. Every engine has its limits. This is a stock engine not designed or strengthened for the rigors of racing..

Well Miatas don't seem to have a problem racing. I could name quite a few cars built in the last 15 years that are holding up to the rigors of driving as Mike does. Your post is relegating the FA20 to be a delicate barely street worthy engine.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to take a few mile tripe over 5krpm in 2nd gear thru rural twisties and my seals blew out. Your argument is sad considering this cars price point. If I wanted an appliance I would have just bought a Nisssan Versa, hell I'd bet the Versa would pass Mike's test. Yours is the most pathetic post I have read on this forum, I really hope the rest of the community doesn't feel this way..

Mods:
Clear fender side lights
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to regal For This Useful Post:
clayrush (08-02-2013), strat61caster (08-01-2013), track_warrior (08-03-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 10:02 AM   #331
CSG Mike

Quote:
If you want to put it that way, then this engine's limits are extraordinarily low.

A minivan engine would survive longer.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:03 AM   #332
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by suaveflooder View Post
I'd just sit at about 80, shift to 4th, immediately downshift with a blip to 3rd, and just go back and forth. No substantial amount of actual acceleration or anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
suaveflooder (08-01-2013)
Old 08-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #333
GNS

Drives: .
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS13 View Post
Joy of first year ownership/test lab driver. But then again Subaru has left the ringland cast pistons issue on the STI since forever :\
Exactly the reason why I won't touch one until they work all the crap out of the next STI's engine. Which will be 5 - 6 years down the road, maybe. I just can't drive a car that I'm afraid to push because I fear that it will blow up on me.
GNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #334
Mikem53

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
Well Miatas don't seem to have a problem racing. I could name quite a few cars built in the last 15 years that are holding up to the rigors of driving as Mike does. Your post is relegating the FA20 to be a delicate barely street worthy engine.

I'm sure I'm not the only one to take a few mile tripe over 5krpm in 2nd gear thru rural twisties and my seals blew out. Your argument is sad considering this cars price point. If I wanted an appliance I would have just bought a Nisssan Versa, hell I'd bet the Versa would pass Mike's test. Yours is the most pathetic post I have read on this forum, I really hope the rest of the community doesn't feel this way..
Well your vagueness is beyond reasonable belief.. To say no miata has had a problem racing.. That's hilarious!! How the F did you come to that conclusion.. Attend every event miatas participate in? Read every post? Oh please.. Look at all the people that are racing the twins street and track that have NO issues.. Vs the handful that do.. Get serious..
All you do is speculate and then complain what a POS the car is.. Yet everyone else is doing fine all day long with theirs..
YOU need to get your car looked at if you have a problem.. Instead of parking it and bitching about how lousy subaru is.. All day long you speculate and conjur up past history on other engines to compare to. Talk about pathetic.. You get that award.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #335
regal

Quote:
Well your vagueness is beyond reasonable belief.. To say no miata has had a problem racing.. That's hilarious!! How the F did you come to that conclusion.. Attend every event miatas participate in? Read every post? Oh please.. Look at all the people that are racing the twins street and track that have NO issues.. Vs the handful that do.. Get serious..
All you do is speculate and then complain what a POS the car is.. Yet everyone else is doing fine all day long with theirs..
YOU need to get your car looked at if you have a problem.. Instead of parking it and bitching about how lousy subaru is.. All day long you speculate and conjur up past history on other engines to compare to. Talk about pathetic.. You get that award.

I never said this car is a POS, but you did . No one is talking about world touring championship racing here. CGS Mike's experience could have happen on the street or back roads, he wasn't racing.

Basically you are saying well lets give up, who cares that Nurburgring rentals can stay in business renting fords, mazdas, VW's, etc but not our car. That is accepting mediocrocy. This is a Halo car. We shouldn't be apathetic, we should be supporting Mike in his dispute with Subaru. We should demand a Toyota ECU calibration that works.

Mods:
Clear fender side lights

Last edited by regal; 08-02-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 08:20 AM   #336
Mikem53

Quote:
Originally Posted by regal View Post
I never said this car is a POS, but you did . No one is talking about world touring championship racing here. CGS Mike's experience could have happen on the street or back roads, he wasn't racing.

Basically you are saying well lets give up, who cares that Nurburgring rentals can stay in business renting fords, mazdas, VW's, etc but not our car. That is accepting mediocrocy. This is a Halo car. We shouldn't be apathetic, we should be supporting Mike in his dispute with Subaru. We should demand a Toyota ECU calibration that works.
LOL!!
You have even complained about having to use premium gas in this car! How slow it is.. Telling everyone to pull their DI injectors all the time, how the car won't last 60K miles..
Blah blah blah... He'll.. You don't even drive it because your afraid its going to seize up and it's not safe... All your words from your various complaining posts.
I never said it was a POS that's an outright lie.. You're the one always saying how subaru can't even program the ECU.. How their cars are always blowing up or what not... Then you follow one guys plight cause he tracked his when it was having issues and it seized up.. So you base everything on the outcome of his dilemma spreading doom and gloom to the rest of us.. Now you try and turn it back on me.. Lol... Hell.. I'm considered a fanboy by most!!
You seem to think complaining about your car on here will somehow magically get it fixed... Instead of working with the dealers... If you even have a problem at all... With the car that is... You seem to enjoy complaining more than driving.. Have fun..

Tags
regalsurinalpost