follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-08-2016, 01:00 AM   #15
STZ

Drives: '15 WRB BRZ Sport-tech
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by acetothermus View Post
Old news. They made the change for the 2015 model year I believe. Could have been 2014.... Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by carma143 View Post
I do have all my keys attached to a slim wallet of mine. I've have yet to lose my keys for more than several seconds. I can always feel that I have them because I can feel the wallet in my pocket, and against the fabric of the pocket and wallet, it is really, really hard to slip out; even in silky pants with a shallow pocket.

You're correct. They changed the key fob starting in the 2015 year, although I prefer the old version because it sits flush with my thin wallet in my pocket ...and it's the only key fob to sport the standard Toyota design along with the Subaru logo on the back.
It's the 2016 model year up here in Canada. I even requested to see what a 2015 MY key looked like.
STZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 01:13 AM   #16
acetothermus

Drives: Flying in a Blue Dream
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carma143 View Post
I do have all my keys attached to a slim wallet of mine. I've have yet to lose my keys for more than several seconds. I can always feel that I have them because I can feel the wallet in my pocket, and against the fabric of the pocket and wallet, it is really, really hard to slip out; even in silky pants with a shallow pocket.

You're correct. They changed the key fob starting in the 2015 year, although I prefer the old version because it sits flush with my thin wallet in my pocket ...and it's the only key fob to sport the standard Toyota design along with the Subaru logo on the back.
Weird... here's a shot of my 2008 Tacoma keys next to my 2016 BRZ...

It's interesting because I see the newer keys from Toyota have gone to square-ish style fobs...yet my mom's 2006 4Runner is square-ish like the older BRZ/FRS fobs...
acetothermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 06:28 AM   #17
JetSpeed

Drives: 06' Forester, 15 '3.6 OBW, 16' BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well, I decided on one of these. Smaller and more durable than the cheapish military dog tag I was considering. Simple. My first name on one side, mobile on the other. 3/4" in diameter.

No, I'm not affiliated with this ebayer, just trying to help in case anyone is interested. http://www.ebay.com/itm/201454808496...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #18
ELNseven

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS RS2.0
would you be able to program one of those new key fobs to work for a older year brz?
ELNseven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 04:57 PM   #19
STZ

Drives: '15 WRB BRZ Sport-tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELNseven View Post
would you be able to program one of those new key fobs to work for a older year brz?
I'm sure if you went to the dealership and requested it they would do it.

It won't be a simple cheap exchange though. It'll probably cost just as much as getting a replacement, so you're looking at possibly $400.
STZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:56 PM   #20
TravSaidit

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS [c7p(firestorm)]
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoma View Post
I never take my keys out of my pocket. I have a lanyard on them and I sometimes hang them around my neck or have them in my pocket. it's easily noticeable if you leave a place without your keys since I either don't feel them around my neck or don't see the lanyard hanging out of my pocket.
Same here.

Sent from my HTC Desire 626s using Tapatalk