follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2018, 11:18 PM   #43
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
How does it compare with the 2.0L in the 86? I'm debating between the 2.0 or 2.5L for the Mazda3. I don't need alot of HP or torque, just an engine that's willing to rev everyday to redline.
Maybe it was because it was an automatic, it just felt sluggish.
It had no problem with my foot to the floor, it sounds a bit unrefined but willingly climbs the tach, coming from an 86 that won't be bothersome.

I wouldn't be surprised if the MT makes a noticeable difference, I was looking at it for an AT though (it wouldn't become my car). MT can be hard to find though, good luck, try and test drive both.

Last edited by strat61caster; 11-27-2018 at 11:32 PM.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 07:47 AM   #44
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
@reeves - I guess I assumed with a tbone accident that was enough to total a car there would be injuries on your side.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 11:10 AM   #45
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
@reeves - I guess I assumed with a tbone accident that was enough to total a car there would be injuries on your side.
I would've assumed that too until this accident. I felt a jolt upon impact of course, but nothing enough to caused a neck strain or anything. It helps that I was hit from the passenger side and not the driver's side too. I think if the air bags deployed around my head & shoulders, that would've caused more harm to me than the impact itself.

Last edited by reeves; 11-28-2018 at 12:42 PM.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:45 AM   #46
reeves

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Well the insurance came back with a cash value of $13.8K for my car (2013 BRZ Premium with 81K miles). I think that's a decent number.. I tried to haggle with the adjuster but he said that's the going rate for a BRZ within 100 miles of where I live.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
The new Corolla hatchback looks pretty decent and the Civic hatch can be pretty lively with just a rear swaybar change and alignment, both above your budget (around $20k new) but if you put ~$10k down you'll only be financing around $10k which should be <$200/month over 5 years. Both available with a MT if that's your bag.

The Mazda 3 with a 2.0L was not very impressive imo, better off with an older upmarket car. I found a way to have fun with it but it took more effort than I'd like.
The Corolla hatchback looks nice but ironically I actually don't trust Toyota to make a sporty, fun-to-drive car anymore, despite their efforts with the 86. The civic is out simply because it looks like a regurgitated piece of ricer parts stuck together lol

I think I'm sold on the Mazda3 with the 2.5L. I haven't test driven the 2.0L, maybe it'll be peppy enough with a good tune.
reeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:13 PM   #47
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,479 Times in 4,998 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by reeves View Post
The Corolla hatchback looks nice but ironically I actually don't trust Toyota to make a sporty, fun-to-drive car anymore, despite their efforts with the 86.
Test drives are free, the Mazda 3 is getting dated and a new refresh next year, might be to your advantage to swoop a deal in the next few weeks or to maybe pick up a beater for a few months if it looks like the new model has something you want.

I get where you're coming from though, Toyota didn't really develop a fun car as much as they paid Subaru to develop a fun car to Toyota's liking.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
reeves (11-30-2018)