follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 11-30-2018, 08:43 AM   #1
CokeZero

Drives: 2015 brz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Wiring question?

I was just reading into canbus stuff because I’m LS swapping my brz. It seems like a huge headache.

I had planned to run both the brz oem computers to control all factory stuff like lights ac abs ps windows all that good stuff and I was going to run the ls oem ecu with a stand alone harness to run the engine stuff. I know I would have to do something special to get the factory gauges working but that’s all I thought?
CokeZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 09:20 AM   #2
spitsnaugle

Drives: LS Swapped Scion FRS = 440HP
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CokeZero View Post
I was just reading into canbus stuff because I’m LS swapping my brz. It seems like a huge headache.

I had planned to run both the brz oem computers to control all factory stuff like lights ac abs ps windows all that good stuff and I was going to run the ls oem ecu with a stand alone harness to run the engine stuff. I know I would have to do something special to get the factory gauges working but that’s all I thought?
to run AC and Cruise Control right now your option is to go PureAutomotive Motec & pnp harness.

Colin @ MRS electronics is working on getting it to work with with our cars via his canbus module, using my car as a development mule, but I cant speak to when or if it'll work.

If youre still going the canbus module route, get a stand alone LS harness, from something like SpearTech or WiringSpecialities, then see my post #51 here for some wiring help: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showt...=128216&page=2
spitsnaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to spitsnaugle For This Useful Post:
Axis2011KR (12-18-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
wutsaiu

Drives: 2015 Raven V8
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Good luck.

Last edited by wutsaiu; 11-30-2018 at 08:00 PM.
wutsaiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 10:59 AM   #4
CokeZero

I don’t understand how that won’t work? Why can’t I have the factory car stuff ran from it’s own computer like the signals lights radio and all of that and just use the ls ecu with its own harness to run the engine and anything else motor related?

Also I need to get my cars oem computer programmed because I replaced security stuff and it doesn’t start right now. If I HAVE to ditch the stock unit should I just forget that? Because the Toyota dealer in my town said they can’t reprogram it and Subaru dealer is a few towns over.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:40 AM   #5
spitsnaugle

Drives: LS Swapped Scion FRS = 440HP
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutsaiu View Post
I don’t think dual ecu setups are common. Every setup I’ve seen is either a fancy ecu like motec or basic standalone with canbus module like MRS or arduino. I have seen no documented setups that actually make use of the stock ecu. I pulled mine out and chucked it.
Standalone + MRS is usually dual ecu setup

Quote:

1. I don’t understand how that won’t work? Why can’t I have the factory car stuff ran from it’s own computer like the signals lights radio and all of that and just use the ls ecu with its own harness to run the engine and anything else motor related?

2. Also I need to get my cars oem computer programmed because I replaced security stuff and it doesn’t start right now. If I HAVE to ditch the stock unit should I just forget that? Because the Toyota dealer in my town said they can’t reprogram it and Subaru dealer is a few towns over.

1. The factory Subaru computer will handle most everything OUTSIDE of the engine-- BUT AC and cruise control are controlled by the GM or aftermarket ECU is controlling the engine because -- for AC it'll need to activate the fans and increase idle speed -- and Cruise will need to modulate the throttle. So that needs to be communicated by some more intricate canbus work than is currently available (again being worked on by MRS electronics- but no guarantees from me) or a new, more capable ECU (IE Motec).

2. You do not need to have the subaru ECU reprogrammed to my knowledge. I did not need to with my stand-alone setup with my FRS.

Last edited by spitsnaugle; 11-30-2018 at 01:44 PM.
spitsnaugle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 01:31 PM   #6
Sportsguy83
I Love custom Turbo kits

Drives: Limited BRZ
Thanked 8,343 Times in 4,361 Posts
Mentioned: 441 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I don’t understand how that won’t work? Why can’t I have the factory car stuff ran from it’s own computer like the signals lights radio and all of that and just use the ls ecu with its own harness to run the engine and anything else motor related?

Also I need to get my cars oem computer programmed because I replaced security stuff and it doesn’t start right now. If I HAVE to ditch the stock unit should I just forget that? Because the Toyota dealer in my town said they can’t reprogram it and Subaru dealer is a few towns over.
The factory dash communicates with the engine via Canbus. The canbus communications are used throughout the car systems (ABS, PS, CC, Dash, etc..) in order to report accurate information (basically to work). Furthermore, some of those systems use engine sensors communicating via canbus to work. Because of this, this is not a swap like it happened in the past, where you could just control the engine apart from the car systems and they would just work. The canbus system needs some integration between both parts. This is where a canbus translator or standalone ECU is required to get these systems to function properly.

Yes, some stuff works aside from canbus integration. But CC, PS, Dash, AC, ABS, among others, all need canbus communication to function.

If you go standalone, you won't need the factory ECU at all. I don't know if MRS canbus passes through the security information from the stock ECU or if you can also disregard it, but with the MRS canbus you do need the factory ECU plugged in.
Sportsguy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 02:15 PM   #7
CokeZero

Basically I just want the push to start to work, the AC and ABS to work. The dash to work. Couldn’t care less about cruise or anything else
Old 11-30-2018, 02:29 PM   #8
spitfire481

Drives: 2JZ FRS
Thanked 1,354 Times in 621 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
That's pretty much everything unfortunately. ABS module, body control module, keyless module, ecu (or a standalone that is talking the right canbus language), cluster all have to be talking and happy for everything to work and not error out.
@spitfire481
spitfire481 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 08:13 PM   #9
Zer0

Drives: 2015 frs
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by spitfire481 View Post
That's pretty much everything unfortunately. ABS module, body control module, keyless module, ecu (or a standalone that is talking the right canbus language), cluster all have to be talking and happy for everything to work and not error out.
Do you guys know any shops that have done a complete rewire to remove the can bus system?
I'm looking to keep power windows door locks, and lights. Power steering may be handled with a module and stock motor or aftermarket electric power steering.
I will just run a custom harness and a GM ecu for the engine.

I want to use a power distribution module to eliminate the fuse blocks and relays as well. Gain some room loose some weight.
Zer0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 08:27 AM   #10
spitfire481

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zer0 View Post
Do you guys know any shops that have done a complete rewire to remove the can bus system?
I'm looking to keep power windows door locks, and lights. Power steering may be handled with a module and stock motor or aftermarket electric power steering.
I will just run a custom harness and a GM ecu for the engine.

I want to use a power distribution module to eliminate the fuse blocks and relays as well. Gain some room loose some weight.
our racecar has nothing but a custom harness and a motec pdm/keypad in it. none of the things you are looking for still work or are installed though.
@spitfire481
The Following User Says Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
Zer0 (12-03-2018)
Old 12-03-2018, 09:17 AM   #11
Zer0

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I may be on my own going this route.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #12
geraldjust

Drives: MR2, Sliver BRZ
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Looks like I may be on my own going this route.
Since you got push start it will get a bit more complicated. I think MRS controller passes though security stuff though canbus so the use of the factory ecu will be needed for push start. IF you want everything to work go with the motec option.

If you want important creature formorts to work use MRS. But not sure if he has AC working. He has support for push start. but you need to keep your factory ECU.
Old 12-05-2018, 08:02 PM   #13
Zer0

Im removing so many components. I think it's better to do a complete rewire on the car.
Old 12-10-2018, 08:08 AM   #14
spitfire481

Quote:
Im removing so many components. I think it's better to do a complete rewire on the car.
thats what we did on our green car. much nicer in the end
@spitfire481
The Following User Says Thank You to spitfire481 For This Useful Post:
Zer0 (12-10-2018)