follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 12-25-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
Jackola

Drives: BRZ -16
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
How bad is it?

Hello!
I did something stupid last friday and reversed into another car at my parking spot at home. Theres no dents or missaligned parts only paint scratched.

Is this something that can be fixed or is it re-spray?

Jackola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 05:41 PM   #2
Magyarman

Drives: 2016 FR-S series 2.0 , 2002avalon
Well those scratches are pretty deep , even removing paint. there are scratch removers that may remove some but not all scratches. For the deep stuff ,there are paint pens that will fill the scratches,but at certain angles will show up as a not so good touchup job.

You might take a look at what Consumer Reports here in the US likes,they have YouTube videos about their application.

They said that Quixx paint scratch remover worked the best in their tests.

I also looked at youtube videos using WD-40 ,3000-5000 grit sandpaper/swirl-scratch polish and toothpaste--results questionable for WD-40,the toothpaste looked promising! The sandpaper/polish looked pretty good.

I suspect if you can't live with the results you get, a body shop is the only option left.

Above 20 mph it's hard to tell a touchup and at 60 mph it's invisIble !!!

Best of luck to you and Happy New Year to you and yours !!!

Last edited by Magyarman; 12-25-2016 at 07:00 PM.
Magyarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 06:41 PM   #3
turtlefeeder

Drives: UltraMFrS
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Acetone and a piece of microfiber cloth and try to wipe off what you can. Than see how bad it actually is. Hopefully you could rub it all off because it didn't look like it scraped out the plastic
turtlefeeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2016, 07:33 PM   #4
stevesnj

Drives: 2016 FR-S Oceanic Blue
Thanked 1,601 Times in 923 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Take it to a body shop. They will give a free estimate. If cost is a factor ask them if it can be machine compounded or wet sanded.

My 2016 Build thread

TRD Exhaust with custom quad tips, TRD Lowering Springs,TRD Quick shifter,LED;DRL, Projectors, and turn signals. Re-badge, 86 Nanny, WinmaxW2 Pads, K&N Drop In, Antenna delete
stevesnj is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevesnj For This Useful Post:
Scrappydoo (01-10-2017)
Old 12-26-2016, 01:25 AM   #5
Junkman2008

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magyarman View Post
Well those scratches are pretty deep , even removing paint. there are scratch removers that may remove some but not all scratches. For the deep stuff ,there are paint pens that will fill the scratches,but at certain angles will show up as a not so good touchup job.
"Not so good" is a understatement. It will look like a 5-year old fixed it.

Most of that will buff out but definitely not all of it. It can be made to look a lot less noticeable but that damage is going to require a repaint. Once you have removed the clear coat and gotten into the paint, all the buffing in the world ain't gonna fix it. Nothing fixes missing paint but more paint and the LAST thing I would use is a touch up pen.

Just to give you an idea as to what can be fixed, here's an undercover police car that a buddy of mine was driving when someone hit it.

Damage like this is going to require a more aggressive polisher than the PC-7424XP if you want to fix it sometime this week. At the same time, a rotary polisher could have easily MELTED this rear fascia considering how flexible it is. Since he was in a hurry, I had to just blast the job out. So I broke out some 3M Perfect-It™ I Rubbing Compound, 3M Perfect-It™ II Machine Polish, a flat surfaced green pad, a flat surfaced white pad and my trusty ol' Flex-3401VRG.

A couple of things to note. Normally I would have washed and clayed that area, and wet sanded that remaining scratch out of the paint. However, due to time restraints, I just did the "hook a brutha' up" repair. If you saw the finished product, you wouldn't have ever known that this car was in an accident. I told him to make sure that he reported it to Car Fax.

Here's the final results.

And because you all know that I never fake the funk, here's the flash test.

The Junkman
504 (12-26-2016), BRZHarley (01-09-2017), Impureclient (12-27-2016), new2subaru (12-26-2016)
Old 12-26-2016, 07:47 AM   #6
Jackola

So if theres missing paint should i just leave it for insurance? I guess it's gonna cost me a lot more fixing this outside of insurance work.
Old 12-26-2016, 12:09 PM   #7
Junkman2008

Like I said before, the ONLY way to fix missing paint is more paint. You can't buff paint back onto the car. It doesn't work that way.
new2subaru (12-26-2016), Scrappydoo (01-10-2017)
Old 12-26-2016, 07:37 PM   #8
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
How perfect do you need your car to be? If it was me I would at least try to fix myself with polish/compound to see how much comes off and how it looks. Then make a decision on whether a careful touch-up paint job could do it or you need an expensive respray. Just hope you don't have bad luck like pay to fix it and have someone hit it in the parking lot and drive off. I have had two bumper rubs like that. Luckily light rubs that I fixed myself. Good luck.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2016, 09:08 PM   #9
Junkman2008

Any amateur who uses a touch-up pen is going to have a repair that looks like a 5-year old did it. Add to that, the area that is damaged in THIS situation is WAY too large for a touch-up pen fix. If you use a touch-up to try and fix this much damage, it's a sign that you have no clue as to what you are doing.
Old 12-30-2016, 12:06 PM   #10
Jackola

Filed the damage for insurance and its going to cost me about 800$ to fix it up.
Old 01-07-2017, 12:33 AM   #11
ayyyypex

Drives: 2016 FR-S
obviously cant see how deep some of that is. if youre looking to save money, the quarter should buff out after a wetsand. The bumper is missing paint. Have a bodyshop do a blow in on that area only and spot repair it into the bumper line. After the paints cured you can buff it and itll be fine. Itll cost you much less and wont take long than an hour. We do a lot of cars like these where everything is perfectly fine except for a small scratch which cant be buffed. Spot repair will save you a good amount of money and time.
ayyyypex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:28 AM   #12
Junkman2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayyyypex View Post
obviously cant see how deep some of that is. if youre looking to save money, the quarter should buff out after a wetsand. The bumper is missing paint. Have a bodyshop do a blow in on that area only and spot repair it into the bumper line. After the paints cured you can buff it and itll be fine. Itll cost you much less and wont take long than an hour. We do a lot of cars like these where everything is perfectly fine except for a small scratch which cant be buffed. Spot repair will save you a good amount of money and time.
You're suggest to a guy to wet sand his car when he has no idea about wet sanding? That's like advising a guy to land a plane because the pilot has passed out.
Old 01-09-2017, 08:11 PM   #13
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
You're suggest to a guy to wet sand his car when he has no idea about wet sanding? That's like advising a guy to land a plane because the pilot has passed out.
Is this the same Junkman from youtube land? I'm assuming so since it says on your profile you drive a Corvette. Your videos are awesome

Ok carry on

EDIT: Nevermind just noticed you posted photos above haha
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 08:32 PM   #14
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,937 Times in 11,375 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
Well, as a pilot I'd have to say that is pretty good advice. The plane ain't gonna land itself (well, at least most of them won't) and someone can be walked through it if they stay calm.

(But I do whole heartedly agree with your point about the wet sanding)

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote