follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-17-2013, 09:09 PM   #435
Thorpedo
The SquadWhisperer

Drives: '13 Ultramarine FR-S (STX)
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickFRS View Post
Since you don't show AFR's there is a chance the intake leaned out your ride resulting in more power. Also you should know parts don't stack on parts. One of the reasons you see these gains is because in fact your car is basically stock. Parts don't stack parts HP. If we went by those claims my car should be sitting around 230WHP... Chances are once you get a full exhaust and go get a tune if you took off the intake and put it back on you wouldn't see that 7Hp increase anymore. wouldn't that be awesome ahaha. Also did the graph change after 150 miles? The ECU will correct over a time after a flash. Chances are you saw gains by unplugging your battery and plugging it back in and the ECU was relearning everything.
If you read my post thoroughly, you would see that the ECU was reset for the "BEFORE" and "AFTER" runs. That throws half your argument out the window.

Following that up, if the car did in fact lean out, then the intake is IN FACT moving more air, which is EXACTLY what you want any performance intake to do.

Lastly, under full throttle/load conditions, a fatter mixture (to a certain point of course, which varies per specific engine and build) results in more power. Typically as you lighten up the mixture towards 14.7 you in fact make LESS power. That is why depending on the application tuners shoot towards 12 ish. Of course this helps prevent detonation as well.

As for your "Parts don't stack parts HP" point, save it for the high schoolers. I'm not new to this and this has already been covered in this thread. How you make power is by eliminating bottlenecks and increasing efficiencies. I could sit down and calculate how much air the engine actually requires, and cross that with the flow capabilities of the stock intake, but there isn't much point given that i know the engine had to take more air in to make the extra power. You can limit the gain from other modifications if the intake is the bottleneck. You could have the best flowing exhaust out there, but it is useless if the engine cannot pull enough air in.

I plan on doing many more modifications to the power plant on my rig, so now that I have an intake which flows better than stock, I can maximize the gain from other mods as well.
Thorpedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 09:12 PM   #436
HotLavaMann
First 86 member

Drives: FRS, Tacoma, Honda CB1100
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
I've read about every thread related to TRD intake filters but couldn't find the answer.

Does the $75 TRD drop-in filter also produce improved throttle response and low end pull? Butt dyno impressions are welcome.
Not that I noticed. I had the $75 TRD drop-in before I got this one and didn't notice any difference where as with this one I do tend to notice the difference. Mine is pure stock except for this intake. No dyno numbers, just butt in seat testing, and it could be that once you install a bunch of other stuff, this won't make much difference. In summary : your mileage may vary.
HotLavaMann is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HotLavaMann For This Useful Post:
torqdork (05-17-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 09:26 PM   #437
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpedo View Post
If you read my post thoroughly, you would see that the ECU was reset for the "BEFORE" and "AFTER" runs. That throws half your argument out the window.

Following that up, if the car did in fact lean out, then the intake is IN FACT moving more air, which is EXACTLY what you want any performance intake to do.

Lastly, under full throttle/load conditions, a fatter mixture (to a certain point of course, which varies per specific engine and build) results in more power. Typically as you lighten up the mixture towards 14.7 you in fact make LESS power. That is why depending on the application tuners shoot towards 12 ish. Of course this helps prevent detonation as well.

As for your "Parts don't stack parts HP" point, save it for the high schoolers. I'm not new to this and this has already been covered in this thread. How you make power is by eliminating bottlenecks and increasing efficiencies. I could sit down and calculate how much air the engine actually requires, and cross that with the flow capabilities of the stock intake, but there isn't much point given that i know the engine had to take more air in to make the extra power. You can limit the gain from other modifications if the intake is the bottleneck. You could have the best flowing exhaust out there, but it is useless if the engine cannot pull enough air in.

I plan on doing many more modifications to the power plant on my rig, so now that I have an intake which flows better than stock, I can maximize the gain from other mods as well.
I hope you don't plan on supercharging or turboing your car because that intake wont work for those applications. As for leaning out making more power. That's my point. If you want to run your car lean to make more power go for it. Just don't expect your engine to last that long. I'll step away now though that you seem to know everything. Thx for educating me.
NickFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:45 PM   #438
Mikem53

Drives: FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpedo View Post
Several things in your post are not quite right.. but this is just wrong.
I doubt you are moving any more air.. you are most likely not "reading"
it correctly and running lean from that. The stock fuel system can keep up with any extra air you can give it NA.. so it points back to mis-reading
incoming air.
Mikem53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:00 PM   #439
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
I hope you don't plan on supercharging or turboing your car because that intake wont work for those applications.
Why not? The TRD CAI for FJ Cruiser is fully compatible with the TRD S/C. I'll be installing a TRD S/C on my FR-S whenever they're available and hope to use the TRD CAI I'll be installing, but would be severely disappointed to find that they won't work together.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:01 PM   #440
NickFRS

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
Why not? The TRD CAI for FJ Cruiser is fully compatible with the TRD S/C. I'll be installing a TRD S/C on my FR-S whenever they're available and hope to use the TRD CAI I'll be installing, but would be severely disappointed to find that they won't work together.
You can already buy a TRD super charger.

NickFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:08 PM   #441
torqdork

^ Not streetable, we have EPA tests here and of course there is an EPA compliant kit under development. Still doesn't answer my compatibility with TRD CAI question.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:02 AM   #442
vtmike

Drives: Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
I hope you don't plan on supercharging or turboing your car because that intake wont work for those applications. As for leaning out making more power. That's my point. If you want to run your car lean to make more power go for it. Just don't expect your engine to last that long. I'll step away now though that you seem to know everything. Thx for educating me.
The stock tune for most people runs rich especially in the upper rpms. The available tunes make most of their power by running at a consistent and more optimal a/f ratio.

There is another dyno on here of a stock tune car with the same mods (trd intake, trd exhaust) that didn't have a baseline but had the a/f ratios. This car showed one of the flattest best looking a/f curves I've seen on a car with a stock tune. It also was running at a more optimal a/f ratio while not getting dangerously lean anywhere. Not a bad option for those such as myself that don't want a tune but get some of the benefits of one while maintaining great drivability unlike other intakes out there.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
vtmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 12:13 AM   #443
torqdork

I can't say for certain if it's the same kit, but it appears that the PWC TRD S/C car used some form of the TRD CAI.

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1...debuts-at-sema

http://www.garagefrs.com/2012-scion-...he-other-cars/
Old 05-18-2013, 12:54 AM   #444
beaver_scott

Drives: 2013 FRS hot lava
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Dsport magazine just had a good write up on all the cai systems for the frs with dyno hp gains and in some cases, hp losses. the trd system came in with a 2.52hp increase. with the stock ecu you can't expect to gain more than around a 5% increase in power without doing a reflash/tune to the ecu. The stock ecu will keep changing airflow/fuel mixture to stay as close to stock programing as possible.
beaver_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 01:01 AM   #445
torqdork

Which system came out on top? And 5% = 10 hp without a tune, not too shabby...I think.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:14 AM   #446
beaver_scott

Garage
Blitz came in at 6.69hp with fitment rating 3of5 and takeda came in at 6.36hp. With fitment rating of 4of5. Hks @ 1.52hp and weapon r @ -0.63hp were pretty bad. Trd was in the middle @ 2.52hp. K&n @ 4.34 but a lot of low end loss. Injen @ 5.61 and aem @ 5.83. There are drop in filters for the stock intake as well. Apexi @ 5.45, blitz @ 6.09 and k&n @ 5.68. Next month I think they are going to tune the ecu with the intakes to recheck performance gains/losses.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beaver_scott For This Useful Post:
Lonewolf (05-18-2013), torqdork (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 01:21 AM   #447
torqdork

Thanks. Did they test the TRD drop in? I've read posts here that it's essentially a K&N.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:24 AM   #448
beaver_scott

Garage
I didn't see anything about a trd drop in filter. Does trd make a drop in filter or do you have to get the whole cai system?