follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 06-21-2013, 04:37 PM   #85
Stephens

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S - MT - Asphalt
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Dammit you beat me to it. lol
Old 06-21-2013, 07:10 PM   #86
sho220

Drives: FR-S MT & FJ Cruiser
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by usptwins View Post
What and how am i missing something? Think what i said is perfectly logical
"if you have to do a motor swap with a diff brand, then you bought the wrong car/truck."

It's not because you have to, it's because you want to...that's what you're missing...

sho220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 12:27 AM   #87
usptwins
Toyota Soul

Drives: 96 taco
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Well, like i said, if you have to do a diff brand swap, you bought the wrong car/truck. Idk. You shouldn't have too/want too... Should have thought about what you wanted before you purchased the vehicle you did and what you were looking for as far as performance... Plain and simple.
Vegas Racing (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 09:33 AM   #88
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Well, like i said, if you have to do a diff brand swap, you bought the wrong car/truck. Idk. You shouldn't have too/want too... Should have thought about what you wanted before you purchased the vehicle you did and what you were looking for as far as performance... Plain and simple.
You really don't get the point. Sorry dude.
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 10:33 AM   #89
yuicebox
Banned

Drives: Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
A kid in Orlando brought an AE86 with a v8 swap to a drift event a while back...

It was pretty sad, he spun out on just about every attempt to drift and then did big, jerky donuts in what i could only assume was frustration
yuicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 11:02 AM   #90
LSxJunkie
Douchebag

Drives: 2014 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by yuicebox View Post
A kid in Orlando brought an AE86 with a v8 swap to a drift event a while back...

It was pretty sad, he spun out on just about every attempt to drift and then did big, jerky donuts in what i could only assume was frustration
Thanks for sharing?
Old 06-24-2013, 12:14 PM   #91
Rampage
Senior Member/Old Fanboi

Drives: 2000 2ZZ-GE MR2 Spyder HT
Thanked 2,014 Times in 915 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:

So, is your point that he would have done better if the car would have had its stock 1.6L 112 HP engine?
nalc (06-25-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 12:34 PM   #92
yuicebox
Banned

Drives: Asphalt FRS
No, I'm neither hating on the engine or the car. I just thought it was confusing because the car was clearly not set up properly to drift. He more or less ruined a perfectly good AE86. Don't get me wrong, you COULD build a nice v8 hachi, but this was not the occasion.

The suspension clearly wasn't set up well and you could tell the car had become front-heavy.
yuicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yuicebox For This Useful Post:
CSI:86 (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #93
CSI:86
86 = First New Car

Drives: 2013 Pegasus White Toyota 86 GTS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSxJunkie View Post
Thanks for sharing?
You really are a douchebag.
CSI:86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSI:86 For This Useful Post:
LSxJunkie (06-24-2013), yuicebox (06-24-2013)
Old 06-24-2013, 03:30 PM   #94
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,891 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
For most people, cars will be just fine as delivered from the factory. For some of us, no one has ever built what we want as a production car. Hence, we improvise...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2013, 03:37 PM   #95
Vegas Racing

Drives: BRZ
Quote:

Thats because he doesnt know what he is doing.
Vegas Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 03:22 PM   #96
usptwins
Toyota Soul

Drives: 96 taco
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I do get it, i get that people like to fuck vehicles up with interbrand swaps for what point? Cuz they have the money to do it? So they can laugh at people that actually would build the car how the aftermarket supplied for it. Its stupid and nonsense to be a douche to the actual people who know the car and how to build it for what it was intended for. That is why YOU don't get what im saying and why people call cars disgraces's due to the fact of someone putting a ridiculous motor in a physically decent if not perfect car for what reason?? Because they can't afford to mod it with the aftermarket parts that are made specifically for this car? Or because they bought the WRONG car? If you can afford a motor swap, you can afford to mod the original or updated version of the motor. Peace
Shit Luck (06-25-2013)
Old 06-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #97
HunterGreene
Hail Magnet

Drives: Firestorm FR-S: "Artemis"
Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,633 Posts
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I do get it, i get that people like to fuck vehicles up with interbrand swaps for what point? Cuz they have the money to do it? So they can laugh at people that actually would build the car how the aftermarket supplied for it. Its stupid and nonsense to be a douche to the actual people who know the car and how to build it for what it was intended for. That is why YOU don't get what im saying and why people call cars disgraces's due to the fact of someone putting a ridiculous motor in a physically decent if not perfect car for what reason?? Because they can't afford to mod it with the aftermarket parts that are made specifically for this car? Or because they bought the WRONG car? If you can afford a motor swap, you can afford to mod the original or updated version of the motor. Peace
Believe it or not, I do understand what you are saying. But, to use your imagination for a second, Why not do something for the challenge? Why not challenge your ability as a gearhead and see if you can make it work? Nowadays its more about what's possible than what's better.

Many engine swaps in what we would consider "classic" cars at this point were done because the original motor was either shitty or underperforming, but the chassis and suspension were good. It was hard to buy a car that had everything right. To cite specific examples, look at the Cleveland motor. People put that beast in everything, and it worked without fail.

So, to sum up--are some swaps pointless? Yes, but its more about can it work vs. is it better. Its more interesting to see a big block V-8 stuffed into an RX-7 than a modded out blown rotary simply because its not always done.

Variety is the spice of life, my friend. :happy0180:
HunterGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #98
nalc

Drives: 13 BRZ Limited 6MT GBS
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Ever hear the saying "you can't polish a ****"?

Lots of cars came with engines that were overweight, underpowered, or unreliable from the factory. Many of those issues can't easily be rectified. I've seen some really cool V8 swaps into imports. They replaced a 200hp iron block motor that had tons of electrical gremlins or blown turbos or any number of expensive, difficult-to-fix problems with a V8 that has double the horsepower, weighs less, and is more reliable. What's the drawback, besides snobbery? If it's objectively better, who cares what name is stamped on it? Not every motor is capable of reaching big power levels, regardless of how much money is spent on aftermarket parts. Why spend $20k buying every part in the catalog to turn your 200HP motor in your cool 80's Porsche or whatever into a 300HP 80's era technology motor when you could spend less than half of that putting in a 500HP high-tech motor?
nalc is offline   Reply With Quote