follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2014, 11:40 AM   #1
sci3

Drives: Seckksy
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Who's driven an rx8 and frs

Those who have driven the rx8 how can you compare it to the frs?
Which is lower and more thrilling to drive?
Which is faster?
Etc

Which do you think is better????
sci3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
myusernameisrob

Drives: FR-Z
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I drove a 2004 RX8 before getting my FRS and the FRS is definitely my favorite choice. The RX8 has a much higher RPM limit of 9K and pushing close to 240HP but the reliability issue makes is one of the worse cars I've ever owned. It handled nice and the rotary sounds sweet when you pin it but nothing has ever put a smile on my face like the FRS does.
myusernameisrob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to myusernameisrob For This Useful Post:
NWFRS (08-30-2014)
Old 08-30-2014, 04:12 PM   #3
NWFRS

Drives: ‘13 FRS
Thanked 1,502 Times in 634 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
[ame]http://youtu.be/jImHTWfj8aM[/ame]

I'm sure everyone's already seen ^ that.

Most of my friends drove Mazda Rotarys in high school. After watching at least a dozen motors blow in as many months, I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot-pole. :-(

The Renesis was supposed to be the answer, but after watching Mazda struggle with them, I'm still not convinced.

Hopefully our little FA20's will hold up in the long term. :-)
NWFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:27 AM   #4
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cope52 View Post
If the japansese wanted to copy a Porsche why the hell did they wait until 2013? What a crime. Especially Subaru waiting so long, as they are the only other one that make a boxer motor.
Cuz it was Toyota's idea, and they probably did attempt to somewhat copy a Porsche before and that was called the MR-S. Subaru was more into making a Japanese Audi (i.e. Legacy GT Touring Wagon) and later on turning STI into Japanese BMW M (i.e. WRX STI).

So just wondering which car has a lower driving position and hood line, RX8 or FRS?

Last edited by krayzie; 08-31-2014 at 07:38 AM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 07:39 PM   #5
Mr. Banana

Drives: A Rickshaw
To me, the FR-S is what the RX-8 should have been.

I've been told that the RX-8 is a bit faster... However, the 86 improves upon the RX-8 in so many ways.

I feel that the rotary engine was the RX-8's achilles heel and its strength at the same time. Aside from the rotary, the styling with the freestyle doors was a toss up... I personally liked the styling and versatility.

Also, the handling, balance, and steering feel were much praised on the RX-8... And the 86 is not inferior by any means.

Since the 8 is no longer in production and you seem to be considering pre-owned, I'd still opt for the FR-S... But you won't know for sure until you've personally test driven both. That would be an important step.
Mr. Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
this is definitely a thread where opinions are going to be spoken as fact and that is never a good thing.
fatoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 08:53 AM   #7
s0sl0w
Proud of Boxer

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sci3 View Post
Those who have driven the rx8 how can you compare it to the frs?
Which is lower and more thrilling to drive?
Which is faster?
Etc

Which do you think is better????
The 86, not because any particular performance metric, they're all but the same in that regard, but because they 86 is going to be easier to live with and more reliable.

Didn't check the oil level every 300 miles? That's ok
Started the car, moved it 5 feet, turned it off? That's ok
Drove it around gently? You got 25 MPG

I love the RX8, love the motor that's in the RX8, but ultimately it's DD sports car with a motor that's difficult to live with on a daily basis.
s0sl0w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #8
UnluckySkmr

Drives: 2013 SWP BRZ Limited
I have a BRZ and my gf has a 2006 RX8 Automatic. The reliablity of the RX is all about the owner and previous owners. It drinks oil and you have to stay on top of everything (this car is not dummie proof). The car also floods if you dont let the engine warm up all the way before shutting it off. I end up pushing this car around if I need to move it fast to avoid this issue. Also it gets 18mpg and my car gets 30mpg combined. They are both fun to drive and honestly I wouldnt mind a RX8 as my second car but it would not be my primary DD.
UnluckySkmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:04 AM   #9
automatic

Drives: WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I just drove my BRZ and an RX-8 back to back at an autoslalom event on Sunday. My BRZ is stock, the RX-8 has a couple of mods

RX-8 Impressions:

-handles better with the coilovers than my BRZ
-grips better with wider tires
-less torque but once the RPMs get up, it feels much faster
-steering rack is slower
-no seat bolsters throws me around the car a little bit more

I never got used to the RX-8 since I only had a few runs with it, but I finished with exactly the same time as the BRZ. The RX-8 I was driving had the potential to go 1-1.5 seconds faster with a little practise...but then again, if my BRZ had coilovers and wide tires, I would be able to go even faster.

The RX-8 is a little bit more fun to drive with a better balance and an engine that can rev to the moon, but I'd choose my BRZ over the RX-8 for a DD.

[ame]http://youtu.be/2gNdlzaapoI[/ame]
automatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
Dream20b
Y u do dis?

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
owned both, Mine was a 40th Anniversary edition. Gotta say that the only thing I liked better about it was... Revs to OVER 9000!

Clearly you have no clue what you are talking about. Everything you said was completely and utterly the ramblings of a babbling idiot regurgitating garbage from his mouth. Everyone here is now dumber from reading your post. Please die now.
Dream20b is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dream20b For This Useful Post:
bedabi (11-11-2014), Erik1493 (11-14-2014), Yrr (12-19-2014)
Old 09-02-2014, 04:46 PM   #11
Aerok
It's Korea backwards.

Drives: 2014 FR-S Whiteout
Garage
I had a 2006 RX8 before I bought my FRS. Honestly other than having to check the oil every 2 fill ups and the lack of head room, it was the best car I have ever owned. It handled and looked great and mine had all the luxuries the FRS doesn't offer. Moonroof, Bose premium sound, heated seats, keyless entry etc.

My RX8 ended up getting totaled and I wanted to buy a NEW car that handled just as well as my Mazda. So the FRS was the only real choice available. (Wasn't going to spend 30k on a BRZ.)

By comparison the FRS does feel like a better drivers car. It handles better than the RX8 and to be honest, after driving both, it doesn't feel like the RX8 had more power. Both have no torque but with the 8 there was no dip.

Now that I have installed a UEL header and tuned my FRS it is hands down faster than my RX8 ever was, but I think I would still prefer the Mazda.

If Mazda hadn't discontinued the RX8 I would probably own a 2014 model now.
Aerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 12:36 AM   #12
Ubersuber
Banned

Drives: BRZ Pearl White
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
RX 8 is too cramped for 6 + footers but otherwise is a fantastic sportscar. It'll blow the FRS away easily, by at least a full second to 60 mph. However, the FRS/BRZ is much more the basic sportscar than the RX8.

Of the two the BRZ/FRS will reward the enthusiast more than the RX8 but only because the BRZ is so much more directly connected to the road. From a performance standpoint the RX8 is the one to buy if you're 5' 10" or shorter that is.
Ubersuber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 01:26 AM   #13
jebuwh
Village Idiot

Drives: '13 FR-S Ultramarine Manual
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubersuber View Post
RX 8 is too cramped for 6 + footers but otherwise is a fantastic sportscar. It'll blow the FRS away easily, by at least a full second to 60 mph. However, the FRS/BRZ is much more the basic sportscar than the RX8.

Of the two the BRZ/FRS will reward the enthusiast more than the RX8 but only because the BRZ is so much more directly connected to the road. From a performance standpoint the RX8 is the one to buy if you're 5' 10" or shorter that is.

2009 Mazda RX-8 R3 0-60 mph 6.5 Quarter Mile 14.8

Extra source http://www.0-60specs.com/mazda-rx8-0-60-times/

Wrong.
jebuwh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 08:51 AM   #14
ohayo

Drives: meow!
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
currently own both of them, 2013 FRS and 2010 Rx8 R3.

absolutely LOVE both of them. the rx8 is on tein flex coilovers while the frs is on cusco street coilovers. they both handle great. rx8 however feels a lot smoother whilst the frs gives more road feed back. however i'm sure this can all be tweaked depending what suspension setup one goes with. stock to stock i couldnt tell you which i'd go with, they both have their own personality, however i do like the oem recaro's in the rx8 a lot more than the oem seats in the frs. the 09+ series 2 rx8's have a revamped renesis motor so supposedly they're supposed to be more "reliable" now(doesnt burn oil as much, better oiling system, etc). either way if u dont know your way around or how to take care of a rotary motor you'll find yourself in the "oOOo stay away from rotary, they're scary" crowd. i'm at 78k miles in mine and dont even premix, not one issue. the weird fa20 with DI is just as weird imo. i'm just as paranoid having a DI failure on hard track days as i am blowing an apex seal. lol
ohayo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ohayo For This Useful Post:
hmong337 (11-11-2014)