follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-31-2014, 06:49 AM   #29
imom

Drives: BRZ sold
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I drove 2 Z4M coupes and I had Z4 3.0SI M sport and also Z4M roadster. None of the cars I drove I ever had any skin or finger tear or interference.

Thinking about it I"m a 10 and 2 position driver...or 9 and 3...maybe you are resting your hands at the bottom of the steering?

Yeah that's the steering wheel....never felt anything better...but I haven't been it too many over $100K cars except to drive a Tesla from a friend.
imom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 11:27 AM   #30
zc06_kisstherain

Drives: SWP BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
I personally liked NA > new models for miata. If i didnt buy my BRZ, i wouldve kept it
zc06_kisstherain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 03:43 PM   #31
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin4Life View Post
LOL @ a 10 year old Z4.
I would have spent up to the 27K that I spent on the FR-S. Locally, that was all that was for sale in the Z4 department at the time. I would have liked to have looked at a much more recent one, but alas, no dice.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:52 PM   #32
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imom View Post

Congrats on your FRS...how's the tranny feel for you...curious if the 2015 have improved?
It's a little noisy, whiny and vibrational in 1st through 4th gears and then smooths out considerably in 5th and 6th. At first I was concerned that there wasn't enough lubricant in the gear box, but after 2400 miles it still seems to be working about the same and with the same whiny-ness. I gather from the forum that this is par for the course for the FR-S/BRZ?

Downshifting is not a problem except from 2nd to 1st. I have heard here that it is a no-no to go into 1st gear at any speed much faster than a complete stop so I have modified my tendency (left over from a '65 'Stang with a 4 speed) to go to first when slowing down.
Old 11-01-2014, 12:44 AM   #33
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by babydriver View Post
It's a little noisy, whiny and vibrational in 1st through 4th gears and then smooths out considerably in 5th and 6th. At first I was concerned that there wasn't enough lubricant in the gear box, but after 2400 miles it still seems to be working about the same and with the same whiny-ness. I gather from the forum that this is par for the course for the FR-S/BRZ?

Downshifting is not a problem except from 2nd to 1st. I have heard here that it is a no-no to go into 1st gear at any speed much faster than a complete stop so I have modified my tendency (left over from a '65 'Stang with a 4 speed) to go to first when slowing down.

Sound is a bit normal given the lack of sound insulation in this car. First is fine to go to, but you have to rev match (this is typical of pretty much any stick shift...made in the past 30 years or so )
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 01:22 AM   #34
imom

Quote:
Originally Posted by babydriver View Post

I was more referring to the 2nd gear. 86 cars are known to be difficult and the stock tranny oil is the wrong for this car. MTF2 pentosin helps considerably, but I was curious if 2015 made any fixes to the original design or it's the inherent nature of the design and Subaru haven't done anything other than cosmetic changes like the roof antenna. I don't recall having any issues going into first gear at lower speeds.
Old 11-02-2014, 02:48 PM   #35
abraxis

Drives: many
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Thinking about it I"m a 10 and 2 position driver...or 9 and 3...maybe you are resting your hands at the bottom of the steering?
Lol, no I'm a 3/9.
abraxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2014, 09:02 PM   #36
Poodles

Drives: 2015 Series.Blue
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
I was more referring to the 2nd gear. 86 cars are known to be difficult and the stock tranny oil is the wrong for this car. MTF2 pentosin helps considerably, but I was curious if 2015 made any fixes to the original design or it's the inherent nature of the design and Subaru haven't done anything other than cosmetic changes like the roof antenna. I don't recall having any issues going into first gear at lower speeds.

We were in the high 30's in the morning a few days ago. Not a single issue getting into 2nd. YMMV
Poodles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 06:10 AM   #37
imom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
We were in the high 30's in the morning a few days ago. Not a single issue getting into 2nd. YMMV
Curious to know if there was a change in fluid or transmission if this is indeed fixed? Wonder what the changes are in the 2015...good to see the notichiness are improving.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:25 AM   #38
donoman

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
This review hits close to home. I am not yet an owner of a BRZ/FR-S although I am considering one to replace my M Coupe (it's just too beautiful to daily drive). I have owned 4 Z4 2.5i's and 1 Z4MC and I really love the design and the way the cars handle. They are the ultimate road trip car, very stable on the freeway. Quiet. The Z4MC feels like a space ship when you are driving it, very surrounding and solid feeling.

My wife still drives a 2.5i.

The BRZ cannot compete in the power department, even with the 2.5i. I don't know why but it just runs out of steam whereas the 2.5i will just keep pulling. Let's not even talk about the M Coupe, they are a different class of cars. Where the BRZ is better is in the tight stuff, where the big motor of the Z4 tends to make the front end wallow. Having that low-mounted boxer really is noticeable when making small, quick adjustments. Not just in turns but for darting in and out around potholes etc.

The Z4 feels much more luxurious. I think the noise levels are similar (the BMW has a lot of sound insulation) even though the Z4 is a convertible. Z4 can get 26 MPG and the Z4MC gets about 19MPG mixed driving. I'm looking forward to getting 30 MPG in a BRZ.

To be honest I am afraid of the Subaru motor as they aren't known as the most reliable motors. If Toyota had produced the motor I would be 100% confident that it could last at least to 200K. I have not seen many Subaru's past the 120K vintage but regularly come across 300K Toyotas on Craigslist.
donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 05:46 AM   #39
xmadror

Drives: BRZ Sport Tech 13
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poodles View Post
No idea about the engine in the NC (haven't driven one), but the FA20 pulls much harder down low than the NA/NB motor.
I had NB for 3 years for a DD and I have to agree that the BRZ pulls harder (tho I would not say "much harder").
Also both engine come alive over 4.5k rpm.
Never driven a NC, but the 1.8l from my NB drove in a similar fashion to the Fa20.
xmadror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:58 AM   #40
donoman

Drives: '13 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I had an NA 1.8L and that sucker was slow. Do you think the BRZ is as slow?
donoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2015, 12:49 PM   #41
richardM

Drives: scion frs, 2012 Mustang
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
The natural buddies of my FRS are:
any Miata
any Civic Si
any Mini Cooper S
any Mini Cooper Coup or Roadster
any 6 cylinder Mustang

When my FRS sees these cars, it's tail wags and it wants to play. It can't help itself.

When it sees older sports cars that started out with list prices nearly double what it cost, the little dashboard "Wave Past" light goes on. Then it wants to chase, just to irritate them.
richardM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to richardM For This Useful Post:
Rampage (02-07-2015)