follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 10-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #71
DJCarbine
Thupercharged

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznKirby View Post
RSX-S has legendary reliability.
I went to the dealership not too long ago to test drive an FRS and I must say I did not expect to be this underwhelmed. My RSX-S barely has any mods on it (i/h/e) and I still remember how it was stock. I'm not really sure what numbers say, but stock for stock I do feel like the k20 would be quicker.

I did feel a pretty vast difference in handling (the FRS being better, obviously)

As far as interior goes, someone mentionned that FRS>>RSX .. I disagree. For a 10+ year old car, some of it feels better as far as quality goes. (wtf cupholders?)
The RSX is much more versatile too, being a hatch.

That being said, I am looking to sell my type-s and going with an frs/brz, so I guess all in all, RWD>FWD.
Pretty sure I remember you from clubrsx..... or it could be someone else
2019 Series.Grey STI - Stage1+ SF
DJCarbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #72
tinma

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
I went to the dealership not too long ago to test drive an FRS and I must say I did not expect to be this underwhelmed. My RSX-S barely has any mods on it (i/h/e) and I still remember how it was stock. I'm not really sure what numbers say, but stock for stock I do feel like the k20 would be quicker.

I did feel a pretty vast difference in handling (the FRS being better, obviously)

As far as interior goes, someone mentionned that FRS>>RSX .. I disagree. For a 10+ year old car, some of it feels better as far as quality goes. (wtf cupholders?)

That being said, I am looking to sell my type-s and going with an frs/brz, so I guess all in all, RWD>FWD.
Same aznkirby from club rsx? Everyone from viet crew joining the frs/brz club? Lol
tinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 09:59 AM   #73
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:

I'd say the RSX-S has a better interior (both build quality and design) than the FR-S. I really liked the interior on my old RSX. Not only did it feel higher quality, but it was also more durable/scratch-proof than my FR-S interior. And with the hatch design of the RSX, there was more cargo space for hauling larger items.

That said, once you move past the interior, the FR-S is much better than the RSX-S. Handling, balance, feedback, and steering are all much better. And the seating position is perfect in the FR-S, unlike the RSX where you kind of sit on top of the car. The power is about the same as an RSX-S, and shift feel is comparable (which is an accomplishment for Toyota/Subaru IMO).

All in all, the RSX-S was a great car for the sporty hatch segment, but if you put an emphasis on how a car drives, the FR-S easily wins out IMO.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 02:56 PM   #74
Mr.Jay

Drives: FRS :D
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinma View Post
anyone go stock vs stock type-s? :P brz/frs has been out for a while now and no update to this thread!
I pretty much did. Only mod was a SRT exhaust on the FRS while the RSX Type S had some exhaust as well don't remember brand but the FRS pulled slowly away from the RSX and we went 3 times.

I would say the FRS just doesn't feel fast. My sister civic feels faster than the frs but at the same time I'm thinking its because the frs just feels stable att the time.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:54 PM   #75
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCarbine View Post
Pretty sure I remember you from clubrsx..... or it could be someone else
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinma View Post
Same aznkirby from club rsx? Everyone from viet crew joining the frs/brz club? Lol
LOL Ahahah yes that's me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsChrisKim View Post
Try taking a look at the BRZ Limited if you'd like a slightly upgraded interior. You may find you like the added amenities coming from the RSX.
Yeah I also took a look at the BRZ - well actually I went to both dealerships back to back and sat in the BRZ & FR-S 10 Series.
The added stuff in the interior are nice: auto AC, push start button & nav sat included, but I do feel it lacks quality-wise. Is it cheaper plastic? Not sure, can't put my finger on it. Maybe it's just a feeling and it'll go away once I hit vtak .. Oh wait lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
I'd say the RSX-S has a better interior (both build quality and design) than the FR-S. I really liked the interior on my old RSX. Not only did it feel higher quality, but it was also more durable/scratch-proof than my FR-S interior. And with the hatch design of the RSX, there was more cargo space for hauling larger items.

That said, once you move past the interior, the FR-S is much better than the RSX-S. Handling, balance, feedback, and steering are all much better. And the seating position is perfect in the FR-S, unlike the RSX where you kind of sit on top of the car. The power is about the same as an RSX-S, and shift feel is comparable (which is an accomplishment for Toyota/Subaru IMO).

All in all, the RSX-S was a great car for the sporty hatch segment, but if you put an emphasis on how a car drives, the FR-S easily wins out IMO.
Gotta agree with you on that one - although it's nice that the shift throw in the stock BRZ is much shorter than the rsx-s
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #76
synchromesh

Drives: Ultramarine Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Interesting to note that the original owner of my 2002 RSX-type S paid close to $40,000cdn out the door after taxes. I paid around $31,000cdn for my FR-S in 2012. After inflation, perhaps not a fair fight.
synchromesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 06:34 PM   #77
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I had an 05 base model. Ide say I liked it just as much as the fr-s. Honestly seemed just as fast too :P my brother still owns it
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BlueDubbinTDI For This Useful Post:
AznBRZer (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 08:31 PM   #78
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDubbinTDI View Post
I had an 05 base model. Ide say I liked it just as much as the fr-s. Honestly seemed just as fast too :P my brother still owns it
Me too. I miss having everything angled towards me and the simple utility of the RSX. The biggest thing is the perforated leather seats. I'm no heavy sweater, but damn, the alcantara makes me sweat like I'm in Vegas in August...hahaha.

I'm a former clubrsx-er too. Was giving my impressions to tinma before he pulled the trigger.
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AznBRZer For This Useful Post:
tinma (11-05-2013)
Old 11-05-2013, 08:51 PM   #79
BlueDubbinTDI

Drives: 2013 FR-S, 2012 MCS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post
Me too. I miss having everything angled towards me and the simple utility of the RSX. The biggest thing is the perforated leather seats. I'm no heavy sweater, but damn, the alcantara makes me sweat like I'm in Vegas in August...hahaha.

I'm a former clubrsx-er too. Was giving my impressions to tinma before he pulled the trigger.
The fit and finish of the RSX was excellent and so was the way it handled on just some Tein springs. I do miss it, but the FRS looks better with more potential so yeah
BlueDubbinTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 09:28 PM   #80
asdf
Loading...████████] 99%

Drives: #0517
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
ex-rsx-s owner here looking to purchase a frs/brz in the near future here too

knew i recognized some usernames names from crsx on here...

Quote:

i agree with you-- i think the rsx had a great, simple interior that was well put together considering it was a mid 20k car (had an 03 type s). sitting in an FRS it definitely felt like it was lacking; the brz limited interior's amenities definitely make a big difference.

i/h/e rsx-s feels a lot different than stock... i know it felt totally different when i parted out and drove the rsx around stock before selling. i do miss it sometimes.

in the end though the frs/brz just feels more fun to drive to me
asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 10:59 PM   #81
tinma

Drives: '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post

Whats ur crsx name? :p quite a few members moved from the rsx to brz/frs direction.

I do sometimes miss the rsx because I put so much work into it and it was pretty fun to drive... I/h/e did wonders for that car, you really feel the increase in power with just bolt on. But the brz I find is 100 more fun in driving just because it's RWD and sliding around is just so fun. I was looking at an sti before getting the brz, but just being able to push the car hard and get it to red line so many times before your in the range of getting into big trouble was the big winner for me. I don't track my car so I was looking at it from a dd point of view... Too much power = cops having my car lol... Now to see how the car holds up during canadian winters...
tinma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 12:48 AM   #82
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
A lot of the BRZ guys are going turbo/sc because I feel like they think that's the best way to get real, quick power (Which is not false, mind you).

But how does it respond to simple bolt ons? I read on here somewhere that the FA20 Club headers net gained 30 whp? That's massive! Hopefully it's as "easy" to make a little bit of power

IG: @MonKehC
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013, 01:27 AM   #83
Celica00

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
A lot of the BRZ guys are going turbo/sc because I feel like they think that's the best way to get real, quick power (Which is not false, mind you).

But how does it respond to simple bolt ons? I read on here somewhere that the FA20 Club headers net gained 30 whp? That's massive! Hopefully it's as "easy" to make a little bit of power
that would mean the car would then have a drivetrain loss of only like 15 whp after the header. I doubt its that much. maybe w/ a tune and a couple other bits it'd do that much.
Celica00 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Celica00 For This Useful Post:
AznKirby (11-06-2013)
Old 11-06-2013, 05:56 AM   #84
_______

Drives: SWP Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Another Ex RSX owner here. Had an 5 SP 04 base model got it in 07 and spent 6 amazing years with it and traded it for the BRZ. I regret trading it in sometimes though I might pick up an 05-06 type S in the future though finding one in good nick is very difficult.
_______ is offline   Reply With Quote