follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #4005
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
you'll be fine, especially if you're running pump and don't abuse your clutch

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bfrank1972 For This Useful Post:
executivekoala (01-26-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 11:48 AM   #4006
Super Dave
Stuck In a Sandbox

Drives: FRS RS1.0
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Picking up my kit from 86Speed in the next few days. im going with a tune from Delicious tuning as well. Does anyone know how much boost I should be safe with running completely stock everywhere else (clutch, internals, injectors, etc)? Question #2: am I okay running without an oil cooler if im just DD around town? I am getting the Skunk 2 Radiator with it and was wondering if that would suffice for your everyday spirited driving. TIA
Super Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 11:52 AM   #4007
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Dave View Post
Picking up my kit from 86Speed in the next few days. im going with a tune from Delicious tuning as well. Does anyone know how much boost I should be safe with running completely stock everywhere else (clutch, internals, injectors, etc)? Question #2: am I okay running without an oil cooler if im just DD around town? I am getting the Skunk 2 Radiator with it and was wondering if that would suffice for your everyday spirited driving. TIA

Do not get the skunk 2 radiator. If it's the one with the built in oil cooler, it will require a lot of cutting and custom work. I don't use an oil cooler on mine and I just take it out in the summer for cruises and blasting around lakes up here.

Everything else you should be fine. I think the boost is supposed to be around 9 psi? Been a while since I've looked
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeman For This Useful Post:
Teseo (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 12:34 PM   #4008
Super Dave
Stuck In a Sandbox

im not sure if it is or not. 86Speed just said it came with the kit as a freebie. Im not one to complain about free stuff lol. Ill have to look into that a bit more. Thanks for the heads up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Do not get the skunk 2 radiator. If it's the one with the built in oil cooler, it will require a lot of cutting and custom work. I don't use an oil cooler on mine and I just take it out in the summer for cruises and blasting around lakes up here.

Everything else you should be fine. I think the boost is supposed to be around 9 psi? Been a while since I've looked
Old 01-27-2017, 12:38 PM   #4009
Super Dave
Stuck In a Sandbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post

I believe its just the regular radiator without the built in oil cooler. The one with the oil cooler looks quite a bit thicker. is that what your reffering to with cutting?
Old 01-27-2017, 12:42 PM   #4010
Freeman

Drives: 2013 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
I believe its just the regular radiator without the built in oil cooler. The one with the oil cooler looks quite a bit thicker. is that what your reffering to with cutting?

Yeah the one with the oil cooler.

The non-oil cooler one I have no personal experience with nor have I seen any threads on.
Freeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:26 PM   #4011
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Drives: Turbo BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Technically speaking no boost is safe since this motor wasn't made from the factory with it... but that's just being the devil's advocate. In terms of the stock block, I don't think it's about the amount of boost and what's safe, it's how long you can run it. I've seen full blown motorsports thread and they stress/torture tested their oem block and made 700+whp with who knows what amount of psi... over 1,000 dyno runs too so who knows. Just make sure your tune is precise and accurate. I have a moto-east tune, 2 years on my c38 kit with some mild track usage. I'm still using the oem radiator. Highly unnecessary to install the radiator you're getting for free. Just more work and little gain from it. I'd sell it to make money if it were me. No need for an oil cooler either if it's just a daily. I've seen temps at the track before my oil cooler and i was over 300 degrees... not good so yes definitely if you see an track at all. For the amount of boost to give you a perspective of "how much boost is safe" I'm running around 12-14psi with e85, larger injectors, and a fuel pump which are necessary at higher boost levels and the fuel being used.
pgranberg11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pgranberg11 For This Useful Post:
Super Dave (01-27-2017)
Old 01-27-2017, 06:19 PM   #4012
Super Dave
Stuck In a Sandbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
Technically speaking no boost is safe since this motor wasn't made from the factory with it... but that's just being the devil's advocate. In terms of the stock block, I don't think it's about the amount of boost and what's safe, it's how long you can run it. I've seen full blown motorsports thread and they stress/torture tested their oem block and made 700+whp with who knows what amount of psi... over 1,000 dyno runs too so who knows. Just make sure your tune is precise and accurate. I have a moto-east tune, 2 years on my c38 kit with some mild track usage. I'm still using the oem radiator. Highly unnecessary to install the radiator you're getting for free. Just more work and little gain from it. I'd sell it to make money if it were me. No need for an oil cooler either if it's just a daily. I've seen temps at the track before my oil cooler and i was over 300 degrees... not good so yes definitely if you see an track at all. For the amount of boost to give you a perspective of "how much boost is safe" I'm running around 12-14psi with e85, larger injectors, and a fuel pump which are necessary at higher boost levels and the fuel being used.

Thank you very much for the detailed response! I have full faith in the guys at delicious to give me a good tune. Im just hoping i dont come to regret getting this kit. There are a ton of people on here that bash the hell out of it.
Old 01-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #4013
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Thank you very much for the detailed response! I have full faith in the guys at delicious to give me a good tune. Im just hoping i dont come to regret getting this kit. There are a ton of people on here that bash the hell out of it.
The belt is the biggest issue in my opinion. Once you get past that part and figure it out it really isn't as bad people make it out to be.
Old 01-27-2017, 10:53 PM   #4014
poolboy54

Drives: Scion FRS. Silver with black badges
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
What requirements are needed for this install? Like Injectors, fuel pump, etc
poolboy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 01:04 AM   #4015
tawheed

Drives: '13 Sport Tech
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Just finished all 290 pages of this thread. Picked up a BRZ with the C30 kit, had latest pulleys and new belt installed yesterday when I bought the car. Has anyone made a video of setting belt tension? Would be super helpful if someone were to do so!

Thanks
tawheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2017, 02:18 AM   #4016
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by poolboy54 View Post
What requirements are needed for this install? Like Injectors, fuel pump, etc
There are no requirements.

Read through the thread or search as it's been answered numerous times. If you plan on c30 with no high boost pulley then you'll be fine stock everything. The clutch will probably eventually go.

Anything else like high boost pulley, c38, e85, etc. You will need a fuel pump, bigger injectors, and a clutch.
Old 01-28-2017, 02:20 AM   #4017
pgranberg11
BoostedBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tawheed View Post
Just finished all 290 pages of this thread. Picked up a BRZ with the C30 kit, had latest pulleys and new belt installed yesterday when I bought the car. Has anyone made a video of setting belt tension? Would be super helpful if someone were to do so!

Thanks
Use the half belt twist method. There's a little cutout on the bottom of your supercharger plate that you can't fit your thumb through. Try grabbing the SC belt and twist it half way. With your right hand, put your thumb on first and put your pointer finger on the back of the belt push up on your thumb and pull down with your pointer finger until the belt twists half way.
Old 01-28-2017, 12:36 PM   #4018
vgi

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgranberg11 View Post
There are no requirements.

Read through the thread or search as it's been answered numerous times. If you plan on c30 with no high boost pulley then you'll be fine stock everything. The clutch will probably eventually go.

Anything else like high boost pulley, c38, e85, etc. You will need a fuel pump, bigger injectors, and a clutch.
c38 does NOT require fuel bigger injectors and/or bigger pump.

clutch - replace after (and if) the OEM goes while you still own the car. If I recall correctly I have not read threads when people street driving their cars with centrifugal SSs had to replace their stock clutch because it died. Most folks replace theirs because of suggestion like above (opinions, which are based on what?) or suggestions from shops/tuners (there's the ones making money off of you).
vgi is offline   Reply With Quote