follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 02-06-2014, 04:09 AM   #1
Sphirit

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
intake tube without resonator increases sound?

Hi,sorry for my bad inglish.
I meean could improve intake sound removing the last resonator under the intake tube???
Would effect to the AFR or throttle response?
has anyone tried it?

THANKS!
Sphirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:14 PM   #2
Sphirit

Drives: GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
someone who install a silicon tube without resonator noticed increase in sound ??
Sphirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
FrsDuke
Fanboy

Drives: 2013 ultramarine frs
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Removing resonators changes the sound of the intake. Replacing the stock filter with an after market filter will also produce more sound. My intake has all resonators removed and the sound tube removed as well as a k&n filter drop in. Makes a much more pleasing sound and has a nice little boost in performance as well without much change in the air fuel ratio.

-Duke
FrsDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 06:24 PM   #4
Aaron_blatherwick

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have been trying to find info on increasing the intake sound as well, since it's been proven just a drop in filter with the stock intake piping is the best bang for the buck without tuning. I was wondering if wrapping the stock intake pipe with fiberglass would make the intake have more of a growl, I know it won't help smooth the inside of the pipe and won't help with heat absorption. I have heard BMW's with carbon fiber intakes and they sound really good. Anyone have thoughts on this?
Aaron_blatherwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 12:29 AM   #5
EvilBeaverFace
Not trying to be a ****

Drives: BRZ - 6MT - GBS
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Forgot which thread it was in but I'm pretty sure the last resonator isn't for sound, or maybe it is but also (more so?) its for smoothing out the airflow/killing turbulence. I could be wrong though.

Take Mishimoto's silicone tube for instance; it leaves a hole for you to re-use the resonator. I think AVO's does as well. Perrin's doesn't but its a slightly different shape.

Going to have to find out where I saw that and come back.

For OP: a drop in/snorkel mod/aftermarket silicone tube might help or if you must then go for a CAI like Perrin.

EDIT: Please read:

Link #1 - Which I searched and its actually from the anandTech Forums and it was about a Civic? (didn't care to read it all) - The post is at the bottom.
Here is the thread that Link #1 is from, it basically started out like this thread did. OP of that thread eventually stated removing the resonator quieted his intake sound anyway lol.
Link C - linked in that thread to other scary stuff that would probably never happen to us, but might. @Turn in Concepts had a hand in it as well lol.

So what I linked was more of a general take on intake resonators - not ours, but I'll let you guys take it how you want. I hope this helps you make your decisions.

Edit 2: Haha @Freeman - This is what I was talking about but I was slightly wrong for reasons above

Last edited by EvilBeaverFace; 02-10-2014 at 01:13 AM.
EvilBeaverFace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EvilBeaverFace For This Useful Post:
Sphirit (02-10-2014)