follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Hawaii

Hawaii Aloha!

User Tag List

Old 12-22-2014, 05:16 PM   #1
fantah

Drives: 2013 BRZ Premium Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Clutch Fork Squeaks

Hi everyone,

So I'm 36k miles and the other day when depressing the clutch pedal I had the sound like a leaking master or slave cylinder, but as it turns out it may be just the clutch fork. This apparently happens a lot on our cars and just wanted to inform you all that you can get marine grease and lather that sucker on the unit.
fantah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fantah For This Useful Post:
Holyshiba (08-05-2015), Jolaessss (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Drives: '18 MX-5 Club
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Mine has been doing that for the last 4k miles. It started when it reached 20k miles. I've been keeping an eye on this thread, but there doesn't seem to be many people with this problem compared to the other problems. The thread gets buried quickly.

How easy is it to do this? I'm debating to bring my car to Servco because this only happens after I drive it for 1/2 hour. They usually take the car early in the morning and don't work on it until later. The noise would go away by then.
Sigh-on-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
fantah

Garage
Its exposed. No tools needed. Just wipe away the old gunk with a towel and smudge on the new lube. 30 secs. The logest part of this process is going to the store and buying haha. Ill include pictures in next post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
Mine has been doing that for the last 4k miles. It started when it reached 20k miles. I've been keeping an eye on this thread, but there doesn't seem to be many people with this problem compared to the other problems. The thread gets buried quickly.

How easy is it to do this? I'm debating to bring my car to Servco because this only happens after I drive it for 1/2 hour. They usually take the car early in the morning and don't work on it until later. The noise would go away by then.
The Following User Says Thank You to fantah For This Useful Post:
Sigh-on-Rice (12-22-2014)
Old 12-22-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
fantah

Garage
Oh after you lupe, the sound will still be there give it about a day for it to work in. Here's the pic.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater
Sigh-on-Rice (12-22-2014)
Old 12-27-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
Cooperdh
Hot Lava Lover

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S- lava
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had this problem and took it into the Toyota shop last week. They lubed it and told me to give it a week or two. The noise went away but is back again. I don't really want to go back to the shop again but looks like I may have to.
Cooperdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
fantah

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooperdh View Post
I had this problem and took it into the Toyota shop last week. They lubed it and told me to give it a week or two. The noise went away but is back again. I don't really want to go back to the shop again but looks like I may have to.

Keep putting marine grease on it. It'll go away.
Cooperdh (12-29-2014)
Old 03-21-2015, 01:29 PM   #7
Cooperdh
Hot Lava Lover

Update

So the squeaking came back and I took it to the Toyota dealer yesterday. They spent about an hour working on it and I drove away to do some errands. Sure enough, the squeaking came back. I was pissed to say the least and drove it back to the dealer. The technician took a look at it and confirmed that the noise was coming from the inside as opposed to the exposed clutch area. They took an hour researching the issue and the rep told me that the technician spoke to Toyota's engineers and they only found one case where this was an issue. In that case, they opened up the transmission and determined that it was a lubrication issue. He told me that if it was a lubrication issue, it would not be covered under the warranty and I would have to pay for it.

The rep said that it could also be a clutch issue in which case it would also not be covered. He said that they could open it up and if there is indeed a part that is covered under the warranty, then no problem. I asked him if the one case that was a lube issue, did the customer have to pay. He couldn't tell me so I spoke to the service manager. I explained to him what was going on and he said the squeaking was actual common. I was pissed and told him that was not what the rep told me. Any way, he spoke to Toyota and they will cover the charge to open it up and lube the fork or fix any other problems, except if it is the clutch. I said fine, do it.

I spoke to a tech at a different place and he said it sounded like the throw out bearing. He said Subaru has had this problem and it was just a matter of replacing it and putting a rubber sleeve around it to protect it. I will find out Monday what happens.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:30 PM   #8
Cooperdh
Hot Lava Lover

I got my car back today and the tech told me that it was just a lubrication issue. He said the fork was bone dry. They did not charge me for the service and it is now running like a champ.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cooperdh For This Useful Post:
Holyshiba (08-05-2015), Sigh-on-Rice (05-08-2015)
Old 04-27-2015, 10:34 PM   #9
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Garage
Anyone got this fixed by Servco? Just wondering if anyone already got it fixed by them. I'm taking mine in next week.
Old 04-28-2015, 11:01 PM   #10
fantah

Garage
No point having them take your car for over an hour haha... Just get marine grease ($5) and grease the fork location, just make sure to clean it first. Takes less than 5 mins of work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sigh-on-Rice View Post
Anyone got this fixed by Servco? Just wondering if anyone already got it fixed by them. I'm taking mine in next week.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:10 AM   #11
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fantah View Post
No point having them take your car for over an hour haha... Just get marine grease ($5) and grease the fork location, just make sure to clean it first. Takes less than 5 mins of work.
Yup. I've done it like 10 times since I saw this post in December. The noise keeps coming back in a few weeks.
Old 05-09-2015, 04:58 PM   #12
Cooperdh
Hot Lava Lover

warranty

It will most likely keep coming back like mine did. If you are still under warranty, ask them to do a courtesy service. They had to pull out the tranny to get to the fork I was talking about it my recent post. They wanted to initially charge me over $1200 because of the labor. There must have been other issues reported because Toyota USA covered the charge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cooperdh For This Useful Post:
Holyshiba (08-05-2015), Sigh-on-Rice (05-11-2015)
Old 05-26-2015, 07:19 PM   #13
Sigh-on-Rice
Waited 5 years for this

Garage
Fantah,
How did you lube yours? Maybe I'm lubing incorrectly. The longest it lasted is 3 weeks. It usually comes back in a week. I wipe the old lube with a cloth. Then apply a thin layer to marine grease with fingers rubbing around the silver metal part in that picture with red circle. Is that how you did it?

Last edited by Sigh-on-Rice; 08-20-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #14
weedtank

Drives: Ultramarine
Having the squeaking issue too and it sounds like it's coming from inside the cabin
weedtank is offline   Reply With Quote