follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Great Lakes

Great Lakes IL, IN, MI, MN, OH, WI

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2017, 05:52 PM   #1
RahulT7

Drives: Almost Totaled FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Unhappy [HELP] Detroit FR-S/BRZ Owners

Hello everyone, I am a proud FR-S owner and recently moved to Detroit from Peoria for work. I smashed my car on I-94 on Dec 30th 2016 and the damages are extensive as you cans see from the images. I need your help and suggestions as I wanna get it repaired by myself and I was quite stupid when I bought the car on lien without a collision/comprehensive insurance but I do have GAP and Toyota will cut my lein down by a few grands. I know I was an immature idiot back in 2015 when I bought this as my first car and listened to the dealer who made a fool of me.

Can anyone help me with this? Bodykits, headlights, other parts and a really good and trustworthy bodyshop. People told me to get it repaired 'Detroit' style, not sure what that meant. I have never worked on cars before so I am really looking for help.

BTW, I am working on the new Mustang at Ford as an Electrical Engineer.

RahulT7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:59 AM   #2
arrow34

Drives: Firestorm red FRS 2015
I saw your main post in the general forum. I wish I had a good body shop to recommend. The issue is slightly that our cars are not that common and I would recommend calling around to some body shops in the area you live in.

The other alternative is to start calling junk yards to find parts. But that will be hard...
arrow34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:48 PM   #3
RahulT7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow34 View Post
I saw your main post in the general forum. I wish I had a good body shop to recommend. The issue is slightly that our cars are not that common and I would recommend calling around to some body shops in the area you live in.

The other alternative is to start calling junk yards to find parts. But that will be hard...
Thanks for the reply man, any ideas how to find a really good body shop? I will talk to the local body shop and see what they quote.
Old 02-07-2017, 02:22 PM   #4
MotoGrapher

Drives: 2014 White BRZ Limited
Sorry for this...but I may have seen you before in Ford campus... I have a white BRZ and work for Ford too...
MotoGrapher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MotoGrapher For This Useful Post:
RahulT7 (02-09-2017)
Old 02-09-2017, 10:58 AM   #5
RahulT7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoGrapher View Post
Sorry for this...but I may have seen you before in Ford campus... I have a white BRZ and work for Ford too...
I believe that you might not have seen me because I just joined last month and before joining I smashed my car. Let's meet up then, I work at the PDC building on the new Mustang program. I never got a chance to get my car to work and hence I doubt that you ever saw me.
Old 02-10-2017, 11:34 AM   #6
markitect

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I don't think I've ever found someone who would recommend a body shop. It is very hard to get it like new, so nobody is ever completely happy.

Since you are on a budget you should take a day to stop at body shops around flint (burton, clio, etc). Body work is cheaper up there, especially when it comes to fixing damaged panels without replacing them.

Try to put together a list of components you need replaced, I think there are two people parting out stock components from their race cards, look at the classfifieds and call junk yards to see if they have any of our cars. It might be worth a drive to gather up some used parts(and there are several around flint). Insurance companies don't require body shops to look very hard for used parts. Look for things like, bumper cover, mirror assembly, stuff like that.
markitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #7
Akuma13

Drives: BRZ
Garage
I had a great experience with Autometric in Royal Oak. They did a really good job, though not as extensive as your damage, on my old ford focus.
Akuma13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 03:57 PM   #8
RahulT7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by markitect View Post
I don't think I've ever found someone who would recommend a body shop. It is very hard to get it like new, so nobody is ever completely happy.

Since you are on a budget you should take a day to stop at body shops around flint (burton, clio, etc). Body work is cheaper up there, especially when it comes to fixing damaged panels without replacing them.

Try to put together a list of components you need replaced, I think there are two people parting out stock components from their race cards, look at the classfifieds and call junk yards to see if they have any of our cars. It might be worth a drive to gather up some used parts(and there are several around flint). Insurance companies don't require body shops to look very hard for used parts. Look for things like, bumper cover, mirror assembly, stuff like that.
Ok, thanks for the information. I am waiting for a quote from one of the shops that I went to. Will keep the thread updated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akuma13 View Post
I had a great experience with Autometric in Royal Oak. They did a really good job, though not as extensive as your damage, on my old ford focus.
I might check them out later.
Old 02-16-2017, 06:48 PM   #9
brylek

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
to find parts:
http://www.car-part.com

Good luck!
Instagram: @starman864
brylek is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to brylek For This Useful Post:
RahulT7 (04-09-2017)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:36 AM   #10
AndyBRZ

Drives: 2014 Silver BRZ Track Car
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I am sorry for your crash but congrats on landing a good job. I had very similar damage to yours on a race track incident a couple of years ago. In my car I deployed the driver side airbag and my hood was damaged as well in top of all the damage I see in yours. Body shops quoted me between 7.5k to 10k. Track insurance gave me 14k for the damage. I fixed it the right way through the entire winter with patience and my buddy Jerry who is actually a body man. It took 4 months and a little under 4k. This amount covered all the body parts (used) including the airbag, paint and labor for my buddy. Luckily I did not need the car through that time. Since you are not covered by insurance, you can think of anything like this as long as you know the guys doing it for you. Best of luck!
AndyBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AndyBRZ For This Useful Post:
RahulT7 (04-09-2017)
Old 04-09-2017, 07:26 PM   #11
RahulT7

Garage
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by brylek View Post
to find parts:
http://www.car-part.com

Good luck!
Thanks man, I will use it along with eBay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBRZ View Post
I am sorry for your crash but congrats on landing a good job. I had very similar damage to yours on a race track incident a couple of years ago. In my car I deployed the driver side airbag and my hood was damaged as well in top of all the damage I see in yours. Body shops quoted me between 7.5k to 10k. Track insurance gave me 14k for the damage. I fixed it the right way through the entire winter with patience and my buddy Jerry who is actually a body man. It took 4 months and a little under 4k. This amount covered all the body parts (used) including the airbag, paint and labor for my buddy. Luckily I did not need the car through that time. Since you are not covered by insurance, you can think of anything like this as long as you know the guys doing it for you. Best of luck!
Currently the labor quote is $2.5K including paint labor but I need to source the parts myself and I will welcome any possible help for it. Do you know any other place to get parts apart from eBay and Car-Part.com?