follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 04-07-2017, 08:39 PM   #43
weederr33
Airborne at your service

Drives: '17 BRZ Series.Yellow
Thanked 5,586 Times in 2,928 Posts
Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenercarguy View Post
Yeah, I fully agree! A SC is probably my top choice, but that doesn't mean I don't want my options open.
But now you're in another pickle. WHICH supercharger is it going to be?! Edelbrock, Cosworth, Harrop, Sprintex, HKS, Jackson Racing, Kraftwerks, Vortech?

MS, CSCS, TSAC-F, CPT
weederr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:35 PM   #44
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yeah I'm one of those "sense everything" kind of drivers. Hell I'm the AutoX chair for the largest college sportscar club in the country, so I'm all about precision. The goal of my build is to take a car that was good, but delivered effectively unfinished, and improve on it: not transform it. I want more grip, but similar weight transfer; more torque and power, but no moment of upset; better aesthetics, but not at the cost of weight, handling, or performance.

However, when it all comes down to it: I'm moving into the mountains for a while and the altitude is choking my car pretty bad; forced induction is the only real way I can see of fixing that.

Yeah I'm the same way. I personally don't think the car screams for or even needs more power. I wanted to tweak to to have more torque. I thought the SC could do that but I was mistaken.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 09:37 PM   #45
bfrank1972

Drives: 2013 FR-S Argento
Thanked 1,039 Times in 616 Posts
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
Yeah I'm the same way. I personally don't think the car screams for or even needs more power. I wanted to tweak to to have more torque. I thought the SC could do that but I was mistaken.

What? SC should definitely give you more torque. I understand your concerns about throttle response - who tuned your car? A lot of what you're talking about is affected by the tune.
bfrank1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 10:37 PM   #46
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post
What? SC should definitely give you more torque. I understand your concerns about throttle response - who tuned your car? A lot of what you're talking about is affected by the tune.
His sig says the Delicious flash n go so it's basically OTS tuning IIRC. I'm looking at the sprintex/innovate (intercooled only), vortech, and Jackson racing. Whichever one I can get used in good quality, or new on some sort of sale. I'd prefer the vortech over the JRSC probably because I already have an OFT, they're cheaper typically, and because I already drove one and liked it. The innovate intercooled is probably my top (budget) choice though, the flat torque plateau looks godly.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:43 PM   #47
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrank1972 View Post

Sorry let me rephrase. More torque but In a different rpm band. Edelbrock is torque right from the get go which is fun but not quite what I was looking for. Was tuned by Zach from Delicious. We did an e-tune with a focus on reliability.

2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
Keenercarguy (04-09-2017), Yoda (04-08-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 03:48 PM   #48
CxG

Drives: Pearl White '13 ZN6
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by weederr33 View Post
But now you're in another pickle. WHICH supercharger is it going to be?! Edelbrock, Cosworth, Harrop, Sprintex, HKS, Jackson Racing, Kraftwerks, Vortech?
Harrop or JR
CxG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 06:04 PM   #49
Barefootdan

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Go with JRSC. I did and am loving it.
Barefootdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 08:40 PM   #50
tyler_win_photo

Drives: 2014 Scion FRS (Asphalt)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:

Oh and I'd really like to retain the OEM bumper bar if at all possible too.
Unfortunately the SBD does not retain OEM bumper bar. My choice for response is AVO, it runs a small Greddy TD05 18g, not too far off what is found in Evo's. And you get to keep your bumper bar.
tyler_win_photo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tyler_win_photo For This Useful Post:
CxG (04-11-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 11:38 PM   #51
chaoscentral

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Series 10
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyler_win_photo View Post
Unfortunately the SBD does not retain OEM bumper bar. My choice for response is AVO, it runs a small Greddy TD05 18g, not too far off what is found in Evo's. And you get to keep your bumper bar.
Or you can get the new JDL kit with the no cut bumper option. Slightly longer intercooler piping but you retain the factory crash bar. Plus you can get it with a much better turbo (Garrett GT2860RS)
CxG (04-11-2017), Keenercarguy (04-11-2017)
Old 04-11-2017, 03:14 PM   #52
Izzyboost1

Drives: 93 supra turbo auto 13 frs turbo 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Jdl twin scroll ecutek bade tune flooding

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Izzyboost1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 07:41 AM   #53
COO86L

Drives: 2015 86 GTS + Mitsi Lancer GSR
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Oooo goody, a thread I can give my opinions on!! Let me begin my story.

I bought my car back in 2015 October 1st. By a month later, I had a full UEL catless pump gas dyno tune and loved the feel of the car but I was dying to get into that forced induction club and I really wanted a supercharger. I read up lots of threads, watched lots of YouTube video's (lol TJ Hunt) and did as much research as possible on ALL options readily available to me in Australia.

February/March 2016 I bought the Sprintex 210 SPS or 210+ system which was an all new, specially heat coated charger unit (intercooled of course) and I was one of the first retail clients in Aus to run one. Installed it in about 4 hours with some help, chucked on the stock pump gas tune from Sprintex and... well I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. But I wasn't finished, I wanted flex fuel and this was purely a tune to get me driving.

I had some odd stuttering and hesitation issues with the tune, and there seemed to be a somewhat laggy response during transient throttle. Anyway, I contacted Delicious Tuning (probably the best decision I've ever made) and sent countless emails back and forth with Zach (I think it was near 100) before I made the leap to their tune. I wanted to retain stock injectors and stock clutch because they were an extra expense I didn't want to incur. I was assured that 210 blower and E85 would be very hard to overshoot these. Long story short, injectors maxed out at about 6k RPM because of how much more efficient this charger was. OH and the difference in the tune was above and beyond. It felt AMAZING! Torque immediately, haaard pull through the revs with no hesitation or bogging down or dip in power. Absolutely unbelievable how well it ran and sounded and I loved it.

And because I loved it, I decided to sell it and buy a Borg Warner EFR turbo system around August of 2016. I wanted MOAR POWAH. And more power I got.
We ended up pushing up to 18 PSI on E85 out of this turbo kit on stock engine, had a 6 puck clutch with lw flywheel and retained my 700CC injectors (just) and made some dumb power. But there was a major issue... I really missed my supercharger. My supercharger used to have torque right off the line and even though this EFR turbo was very quick to spool, and the tune was EXCELLENT (I didn't have any lag before boost, it just felt like a tuned N/A), it was still not as fun as the slightly less powerful supercharger. In my mind, I wasn't enjoying the car as much. When it was supercharged I used to LONG to drive it. Turbo, eh. It was fun, it was funny, it was hella quick and exciting in it's on right. But it wasn't what I liked.

So logically, I sold it. 3 months later I'm waiting on exhaust components so I'm running stock headers etc on an off the shelf tune and, even though it has less power, I've fallen in love with my car again. I'd love to get the supercharger back onto it but's its not a priority at this stage. Don't get me wrong, the turbo system made some amazing power and scared the sh** out of anyone who drove it but it wasn't what I liked or wanted. I wanted that N/A response and feel. That twisty mountain road power where you're only on the throttle for a second before you need more brakes, where the turbo didn't even have time to spool before you're off throttle again. That's where I drive and where I needed the power, and the supercharger suited that a lot more.

tl;dr had both, supercharger better transient, I waste a lot of money.
COO86L is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to COO86L For This Useful Post:
Calum (04-20-2017), CxG (04-20-2017), Tcoat (04-17-2017)
Old 04-17-2017, 11:07 AM   #54
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Quote:
Originally Posted by COO86L View Post
Oooo goody, a thread I can give my opinions on!! Let me begin my story.

I bought my car back in 2015 October 1st. By a month later, I had a full UEL catless pump gas dyno tune and loved the feel of the car but I was dying to get into that forced induction club and I really wanted a supercharger. I read up lots of threads, watched lots of YouTube video's (lol TJ Hunt) and did as much research as possible on ALL options readily available to me in Australia.

February/March 2016 I bought the Sprintex 210 SPS or 210+ system which was an all new, specially heat coated charger unit (intercooled of course) and I was one of the first retail clients in Aus to run one. Installed it in about 4 hours with some help, chucked on the stock pump gas tune from Sprintex and... well I wasn't as impressed as I thought I'd be. But I wasn't finished, I wanted flex fuel and this was purely a tune to get me driving.

I had some odd stuttering and hesitation issues with the tune, and there seemed to be a somewhat laggy response during transient throttle. Anyway, I contacted Delicious Tuning (probably the best decision I've ever made) and sent countless emails back and forth with Zach (I think it was near 100) before I made the leap to their tune. I wanted to retain stock injectors and stock clutch because they were an extra expense I didn't want to incur. I was assured that 210 blower and E85 would be very hard to overshoot these. Long story short, injectors maxed out at about 6k RPM because of how much more efficient this charger was. OH and the difference in the tune was above and beyond. It felt AMAZING! Torque immediately, haaard pull through the revs with no hesitation or bogging down or dip in power. Absolutely unbelievable how well it ran and sounded and I loved it.

And because I loved it, I decided to sell it and buy a Borg Warner EFR turbo system around August of 2016. I wanted MOAR POWAH. And more power I got.
We ended up pushing up to 18 PSI on E85 out of this turbo kit on stock engine, had a 6 puck clutch with lw flywheel and retained my 700CC injectors (just) and made some dumb power. But there was a major issue... I really missed my supercharger. My supercharger used to have torque right off the line and even though this EFR turbo was very quick to spool, and the tune was EXCELLENT (I didn't have any lag before boost, it just felt like a tuned N/A), it was still not as fun as the slightly less powerful supercharger. In my mind, I wasn't enjoying the car as much. When it was supercharged I used to LONG to drive it. Turbo, eh. It was fun, it was funny, it was hella quick and exciting in it's on right. But it wasn't what I liked.

So logically, I sold it. 3 months later I'm waiting on exhaust components so I'm running stock headers etc on an off the shelf tune and, even though it has less power, I've fallen in love with my car again. I'd love to get the supercharger back onto it but's its not a priority at this stage. Don't get me wrong, the turbo system made some amazing power and scared the sh** out of anyone who drove it but it wasn't what I liked or wanted. I wanted that N/A response and feel. That twisty mountain road power where you're only on the throttle for a second before you need more brakes, where the turbo didn't even have time to spool before you're off throttle again. That's where I drive and where I needed the power, and the supercharger suited that a lot more.

tl;dr had both, supercharger better transient, I waste a lot of money.

Glad to hear the other side of it. I think what's interesting about both of us is that we realize how much we enjoy NA after going FI. while I lean towards turbos and you towards super chargers. There is something about this car NA that you just can't explain. And it's so much more apparent after you take it away and then go back to it.

Old 04-18-2017, 03:40 AM   #55
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by COO86L View Post
I wanted that N/A response and feel. That twisty mountain road power where you're only on the throttle for a second before you need more brakes, where the turbo didn't even have time to spool before you're off throttle again.

This is exactly the reason why some of us insist to stay N/A and try to refine this car with steady but small steps.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote