follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2020, 07:28 AM   #15
DarkPira7e
Rust bucket enthusiast

Drives: 2013 Turbo Firestorm FRS
Thanked 4,095 Times in 2,045 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I run my turbo with no BOV, runs great and the turbo doesn't seem to be damaged in any regard.

What tuning platform are you using? Even for a daily driver, I'd get some upgraded injectors. The scaling is easy and it adds a lot of safety. You will not regret it!

Along with your tuning platform (which is your most important supporting mod) have you contemplated an upgraded tire choice? Life isn't fun when you just spin as boost hits
DarkPira7e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 03:27 PM   #16
MotoX16

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You might as well throw a Killer B oil pickup in when you have the pan off
MotoX16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 05:33 PM   #17
86MLR

Drives: 2002 VX Commodore SS LS1 Auto
Thanked 2,185 Times in 1,111 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
While you have the pan off and shopping buy a windage tray
Attached Images

86MLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 07:58 PM   #18
mooseonskates

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2016
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkPira7e View Post
What tuning platform are you using? Even for a daily driver, I'd get some upgraded injectors. The scaling is easy and it adds a lot of safety. You will not regret it!

Along with your tuning platform (which is your most important supporting mod) have you contemplated an upgraded tire choice? Life isn't fun when you just spin as boost hits
I'm using OFT for tuning. As for tires, I have some Firehawk Indy 500's from last year so hopefully they'll be able to hold up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ybotspawn View Post
Oil cooler and oil temp gauge should be stock requirements for any of these cars getting abuse. Afr gauge isn't a bad addition and neither is either blanket or preferably ceramic coating.

What's your opinion on oil pressure gauge? necessary? I would already have a boost gauge, AFR gauge and an oil temp gauge.

and as far as gauges go, which ones are you guys running out of curiosity? and where do you have them located?
mooseonskates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 08:34 PM   #19
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,804 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseonskates View Post
What's your opinion on oil pressure gauge? necessary? I would already have a boost gauge, AFR gauge and an oil temp gauge.

and as far as gauges go, which ones are you guys running out of curiosity? and where do you have them located?
Oil temperature and pressure are linked, so some just go with temperature, but I have both just in case I lose pressure suddenly.

Defi and mounted like this:

Old 02-20-2020, 08:56 PM   #20
mooseonskates

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
Oil temperature and pressure are linked, so some just go with temperature, but I have both just in case I lose pressure suddenly.

That looks really tidy, mind sending me a link?
mooseonskates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:11 PM   #21
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseonskates View Post
That looks really tidy, mind sending me a link?
Thanks. Quality wasn’t amazing. I could have done a similar job myself with some bondo, PVC pieces and paint. The 60mm vent gauge pod is quality.

https://www.ortizcustompods.com/subaru.html

https://www.ft86speedfactory.com/ati...l#.Xk88LCWIaEc
Old 02-20-2020, 09:16 PM   #22
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,175 Times in 6,834 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:

A pressure gauge does nothing to help mitigate this, and the havok it'll wreak.

How often do you look at your gauges while driving hard?
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2020, 09:42 PM   #23
Irace86.2.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
A pressure gauge does nothing to help mitigate this, and the havok it'll wreak.

How often do you look at your gauges while driving hard?
That’s the typical argument against needing it, which is probably true, but I like the idea of having it. I don’t check it often during aggressive driving, but I do check it often when not aggressive driving. If oil loss was rapid then it would probably be useless like you are saying, but I could imagine someone getting a rock through their oil cooler or something resulting in loss at a rate that could be caught. The dummy light could work for that too I guess; manufacturers put it there at an expense for a reason. I know your opinion already on heavier weight oil, but I suppose someone with a different opinion could also use the pressure gauge to fine tune oil weight for their needs. Unnecessary for the op, but just saying.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:48 PM   #24
Irace86.2.0

@CSG Mike

I should add that my aggressive driving stints around town or through some turns in the canyons are much shorter than your track sessions, so the intervals between checking my gauges are likely not as long as yours.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:11 PM   #25
BRZSS

Drives: Hyper Blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
The dummy light only activates around 2 psi or maybe it was 4 psi? Regardless its so low that it just about makes it pointless. As for the pressure on a gauge debate. Its personal preference. I'd rather have it. And the question of seeing it while going hard...

One could argue why run a boost gauge then? Who's looking at that gauge while driving hard? I run a Cravenspeed steering wheel mounted dash pod. I only run the left cup as it covers the mechanical speedometer (who looks at that one compared to the digital one in the center?) and use a 60mm Depo Racing 2 in 1 gauge. It reads boost with a needle display and displays oil pressure on an led display.

I figure if pressure drops suddenly the fast swing of the numbers will catch my attention if I'm on it hard.

But to each their own.
BRZSS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZSS For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-20-2020)
Old 02-20-2020, 10:41 PM   #26
krauterz

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZSS View Post
The dummy light only activates around 2 psi or maybe it was 4 psi? Regardless its so low that it just about makes it pointless. As for the pressure on a gauge debate. Its personal preference. I'd rather have it. And the question of seeing it while going hard...

One could argue why run a boost gauge then? Who's looking at that gauge while driving hard? I run a Cravenspeed steering wheel mounted dash pod. I only run the left cup as it covers the mechanical speedometer (who looks at that one compared to the digital one in the center?) and use a 60mm Depo Racing 2 in 1 gauge. It reads boost with a needle display and displays oil pressure on an led display.

I figure if pressure drops suddenly the fast swing of the numbers will catch my attention if I'm on it hard.

But to each their own.

This ^

If there is a 1 in 10 chance you will catch it and potentially save your engine, and the total cost outlay is like 60 bucks and an hour of install, its a pretty significant no brainer to me.

anyone boosting an NA engine should be glancing at their gauges quite frequently. just as frequent as all their other gauges (rpm, speed, temp etc).
if these cars were boosted from factory, then yes, doing so would be considered overkill, but with the significant change boost brings, its always a good idea to pay attention to your sensors. especially when driving hard.

Consider if the oil pan cracked around the weld for the return line due to heat stress from the welding process, or the RTV you used to put the sump back on was not up to the job/you didnt clean the surfaces properly?

a slowly dropping oil level like this will lead to the pickup sucking up the occasional bubble of air before running dry. your needles going to go apeshit. you are going to see it in the corner of your eye.

if you are driving so hard that the peripheral awareness of your gauges is too much of a distraction, you are driving far too hard for far too long for it to be considered safe on public roads and you probably deserve to lose your license.
if you are on a track (OP has specifically stated that he wont be tracking it) then you have even more time on straights to check your gauges and monitoring pressure and temp is way more important in track conditions.
from experience, if you spin a bearing on a track you may not notice the knock/sound until you come off the throttle at the end of the run.
if you had a pressure gauge you would immediately notice the loss in oil pressure. you might save your crank and thus essentially save the short block from a write off. you might even get away with only needing to replace the bearing (and obviously the cleanup work etc).
IMO, spending an extra few hundred dollars to monitor everything rather than just boost is a no brainer. in the off situation thats 1 in 10 that it might save your engine, its still hella worth for the outlay, especially when you are considering spending upwards of 5k+ on a turbo kit.

plus it looks mad.

Last edited by krauterz; 02-20-2020 at 10:52 PM.
krauterz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krauterz For This Useful Post:
Irace86.2.0 (02-20-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 12:24 AM   #27
kev0

Drives: '14
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Didn't know the dummy light turns on at that low of a PSI. My dummy light always flickers when I brake (RPM drops for a split second) and sometimes it will turn on solid. I've left my car on to idle for about 10 minutes with the light fully on and my engine is still running fine..I'm boosted as well. I'm thinking my oil pressure sender switch is broken.
kev0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kev0 For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (02-21-2020)
Old 02-21-2020, 12:28 AM   #28
tomm.brz

Drives: brz 2017 hksv2
Thanked 1,064 Times in 773 Posts
Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quote:
That’s the typical argument against needing it, which is probably true, but I like the idea of having it. I don’t check it often during aggressive driving, but I do check it often when not aggressive driving. If oil loss was rapid then it would probably be useless like you are saying, but I could imagine someone getting a rock through their oil cooler or something resulting in loss at a rate that could be caught. The dummy light could work for that too I guess; manufacturers put it there at an expense for a reason. I know your opinion already on heavier weight oil, but I suppose someone with a different opinion could also use the pressure gauge to fine tune oil weight for their needs. Unnecessary for the op, but just saying.
csg is right gauge are useless, they are just for esthetic

unless you have an output from them and you hook them to the ecu and set up custom map against low pressure
tomm.brz is online now   Reply With Quote