follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 02-13-2020, 05:54 PM   #239
VerusEric

Drives: BRZ, STI, GT350R, Supra, 987.2
Thanked 2,529 Times in 780 Posts
Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckls View Post
Radical. I told Ian about these last night and he would be willing to help get a group buy if you need X amount of people before offering them.
No need, we just did a small run. If you guys want to do something like that, just e-mail Clay and we can see what we can do.
VerusEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 11:51 AM   #240
Gamace

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VerusEric View Post
Yes! To my knowledge, we are the only ones who have louvers for the car that require no cutting of the hood structure. We basically make use of the vast majority of the hood skin; you would be hard-pressed to get larger louvers in the hood without cutting structure away.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DONfLNWghU[/ame]

Here is a video of the GT-Spec units going in Clay's car.
I am very interested in getting the set of 4 louvers as they don't cut into the underhood structure like the other brands' vents do. My question is how ineffective will the louvers be if I had the rain guards installed all the time. I can't imagine having to install/remove each time it rains versus when its sunny. That is my big problem in making the decision right now.

Toyota 86 in the building!
Gamace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #241
VerusEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamace View Post
I am very interested in getting the set of 4 louvers as they don't cut into the underhood structure like the other brands' vents do. My question is how ineffective will the louvers be if I had the rain guards installed all the time. I can't imagine having to install/remove each time it rains versus when its sunny. That is my big problem in making the decision right now.

It definitely reduces the efficacy of the louvers, you are blocking off the path to vent the hot air. Whether that reduced flow is worth it to you to reduce the rain that gets into the engine bay is an answer only you can answer.

We have not done any testing on this nor would I know where to even start.
Old 08-12-2020, 01:22 PM   #242
Gamace

Quote:
It definitely reduces the efficacy of the louvers, you are blocking off the path to vent the hot air. Whether that reduced flow is worth it to you to reduce the rain that gets into the engine bay is an answer only you can answer.

We have not done any testing on this nor would I know where to even start.
From your tests, how are long term effects of continuous use without rain guards? Meaning in terms of the engine operating with water getting into the engine bay?

Also what are the impacts of the channelling of where with use of the rain guards? Meaning is channeling the water to the radiator and fan shroud something okay to do for long term usage?

The Following User Says Thank You to Gamace For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (08-13-2020)
Old 08-14-2020, 11:58 PM   #243
Chuckls
Moutain Runner

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
From your tests, how are long term effects of continuous use without rain guards? Meaning in terms of the engine operating with water getting into the engine bay?
I can chime in here. I've had the Verus modular louver kit installed for roughly 1.5 years now. Seldom do I use the rain guards (only when I know I wont drive the car for a week or so and rain is forecast)
Your engine is MOSTLY waterproof. (Looking at you, flywheel inspection cover). If you consistently drive your car, you won't see problems. I did find that water CAN collect in the oil filter housing (the raised portion does not allow water to escape) and found myself using a can of compressed air to clean it out after a solid storm. I can show images, but it did result in some surface rust in the exposed area.

Quote:
Also what are the impacts of the channelling of where with use of the rain guards? Meaning is channeling the water to the radiator and fan shroud something okay to do for long term usage?

It doesn't channel them directly into the fan. It's mostly into the vacinity where it'll drain downward into your underbelly covers. When driving, the louvers are not allowing rain inside due to the air exiting the louvers at such a speed, it blocks rain. If you have any further questions, I'll be more than happy to answer.

Chuckls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chuckls For This Useful Post:
Gamace (08-15-2020), VerusEric (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 12:21 AM   #244
Gamace

Quote:
I can chime in here. I've had the Verus modular louver kit installed for roughly 1.5 years now. Seldom do I use the rain guards (only when I know I wont drive the car for a week or so and rain is forecast)
Your engine is MOSTLY waterproof. (Looking at you, flywheel inspection cover). If you consistently drive your car, you won't see problems. I did find that water CAN collect in the oil filter housing (the raised portion does not allow water to escape) and found myself using a can of compressed air to clean it out after a solid storm. I can show images, but it did result in some surface rust in the exposed area.

It doesn't channel them directly into the fan. It's mostly into the vacinity where it'll drain downward into your underbelly covers. When driving, the louvers are not allowing rain inside due to the air exiting the louvers at such a speed, it blocks rain. If you have any further questions, I'll be more than happy to answer.

Thank you very much for the review and feedback.

I think based on your pictures, it would direct the water just between the gap from the fan belt to the radiator. Basically borderline where your headers would be sitting exposed underneath correct?

I was wondering if I would have to drive this permanently with the rain guards as I cannot deal with having to install/uninstall when a known rainy season is coming. To install them, its just screwing them underneath?

I am really looking into this option for the heat removal. I am also going to get an aftermarket vented underpanel to help release the heat right underneath as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to Gamace For This Useful Post:
VerusEric (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 11:47 AM   #245
Chuckls
Moutain Runner

Drives: BRZ
Quote:
I think based on your pictures, it would direct the water just between the gap from the fan belt to the radiator. Basically borderline where your headers would be sitting exposed underneath correct?
Correct. If utilizing the OEM manifold, the heat shield will burn the water off. IF using an aftermarket alternative with no shielding, the water simply falls right off due to the curvature of our manifold. The only thing I would be worried about, is if you chose to use Titanium heat wrap and let it sit for lengths of time. That heat wrap can trap moisture and rust inside. Coat your manifold if you can.

Quote:
I was wondering if I would have to drive this permanently with the rain guards as I cannot deal with having to install/uninstall when a known rainy season is coming. To install them, its just screwing them underneath?
It takes 5-10 minutes honestly to remove/reinstall them. Four nuts on each louver. (2 if you get really good at sliding them on sideways). I ran only ONE for a while to cover my turbos air filter. The rest have stayed without rain guards since March. I've noticed no ill effects on the engine outside of steam rising while sitting idle. I understand you wanting to make absolute certain it won't cause any long term harmful effects, but to me it looks like you're overthinking things, which I too am suseptible to doing.

If you need demonstrations for water flow, or anything like that...let me know. I can simulate rain and show you where water may/may not collect with the rain guards on. *But do know that I have a turbo sitting where my OEM air box would be, so it YMMV*
Chuckls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckls For This Useful Post:
Gamace (08-15-2020)
Old 08-15-2020, 12:05 PM   #246
Gamace

Quote:
Correct. If utilizing the OEM manifold, the heat shield will burn the water off. IF using an aftermarket alternative with no shielding, the water simply falls right off due to the curvature of our manifold. The only thing I would be worried about, is if you chose to use Titanium heat wrap and let it sit for lengths of time. That heat wrap can trap moisture and rust inside. Coat your manifold if you can.

It takes 5-10 minutes honestly to remove/reinstall them. Four nuts on each louver. (2 if you get really good at sliding them on sideways). I ran only ONE for a while to cover my turbos air filter. The rest have stayed without rain guards since March. I've noticed no ill effects on the engine outside of steam rising while sitting idle. I understand you wanting to make absolute certain it won't cause any long term harmful effects, but to me it looks like you're overthinking things, which I too am suseptible to doing.

If you need demonstrations for water flow, or anything like that...let me know. I can simulate rain and show you where water may/may not collect with the rain guards on. *But do know that I have a turbo sitting where my OEM air box would be, so it YMMV*
Yeah I have the HKS Super Manifold with Catalyzer Boxer Spec, so it would run right around like you said.

Well if it won't create a hassle for you to do a demonstration I'd really appreciate that. I gotta overthink it cause this is my baby lol. I love her too much create a problem for her. But the headers definitely generate alot more heat and my bonnet now has a burnt spot in the center as a result of it. So I am gonna get an aftermarket vented underpanel and then if that doesn't do a superb job by itself then this is the next option.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:09 AM   #247
RFB

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

I have found that leaving the louvers w/o rain guards uncovered when stopped (not driving) the water makes my Jackson supercharger belt squeal !

I use stick on patches covering the louvers when parked made out of black waterproof tape. Gorilla tape works for almost a season of on and offs before the stickiness is burned off.
RFB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RFB For This Useful Post:
Gamace (08-20-2020), VerusEric (07-05-2021)
Old 08-20-2020, 11:55 AM   #248
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

I don't have the Verus hood louvers, I have a different setup. But I run open year round and I get a little bit of belt squeak on startup. Otherwise I notice no issues.
Gamace (08-20-2020), VerusEric (08-20-2020)
Old 08-20-2020, 07:06 PM   #249
johl

Drives: toyota 86
I have had my verus hood vents installed for almost 2 years now. I drive every day in all weather (it doesn’t snow where I live) and I also park in a garage when not in use.

I have had no issues at all from water getting inside my engine bay. I can see water has flung off my alternator and Ac pulleys as there are marks on the underside of my hood.

I also recently installed the additional parts to the vent. I can’t think of the name but they act like a gurney flap etc. in the rain you can see the water being thrown away from the vent. I never saw this amount of air flow without the additional add on piece.
Old 07-05-2021, 09:28 AM   #250
VerusEric

Happy to hear everyone is enjoying these! We have a large batch being finished up at powder right now!
Old 07-13-2021, 02:29 PM   #251
czellers

Drives: 2K19 GT86
Quote:
Happy to hear everyone is enjoying these! We have a large batch being finished up at powder right now!
See the highlighted picture below. Are the louvers circled in this picture also a Verus product with a separate SKU product ID?
Attached Images

czellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2021, 03:07 PM   #252
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Garage
Probably just the universal ones

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk
2013 Series 10 FRS #553