follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2017, 02:41 PM   #1
Skeneypoo

Drives: 2013 Satin White Pearl BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Idle Drop When I Tap Gas Pedal

Hey guys, working with a 2013 brz limited auto. So I’ve search and found everything about the idle dip issue from way back when, but my problem appears to be different. The car isles fine, but when i tap the throttle for just a second, just a little blip, the rpms drop to about 400.

Similarly, if I’m driving and come to a stop..quickly, the same thing happens and it will occasionally stall.

Skeneypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 02:46 PM   #2
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Sounds like a slight vacuum leak, check all the hoses.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 03:07 PM   #3
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
What Cal ID is the car running? The 2013 needs a flash to fix the idle but from what I have read a bunch of dealers refuse to flash with the required B01C because they think it's only for the 2014 even though there is a TSB that specifically says that the idle fix on a 2013 or early 2014 needs B01C. I just got a 2013 myself and it was doing this bad until I flashed with B01C. Even then it dipped a lot until I had about 200 miles on it. Then this weekend I replaced the TOB and had the battery pulled which reset the ECU. So now it is back to dipping and just going all over the place at idle. It's almost back to normal now. The learning phase seems to take forever on these cars.

Mine was so bad when I first got it that doing the little blips like you describe would almost kill the engine. And one day on the way home from work it did actually stall when I was rolling to a stop and pressed the clutch.

If you don't have a way to check the CalID or flash it yourself then maybe dig up the TSB on the idle problem and take it to a dealer and see what they would charge to update the CalID.

Here is the TSB you want to look into:
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/attac...1&d=1386706237
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:13 PM   #4
Skeneypoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
What Cal ID is the car running? The 2013 needs a flash to fix the idle but from what I have read a bunch of dealers refuse to flash with the required B01C because they think it's only for the 2014 even though there is a TSB that specifically says that the idle fix on a 2013 or early 2014 needs B01C. I just got a 2013 myself and it was doing this bad until I flashed with B01C. Even then it dipped a lot until I had about 200 miles on it. Then this weekend I replaced the TOB and had the battery pulled which reset the ECU. So now it is back to dipping and just going all over the place at idle. It's almost back to normal now. The learning phase seems to take forever on these cars.

Mine was so bad when I first got it that doing the little blips like you describe would almost kill the engine. And one day on the way home from work it did actually stall when I was rolling to a stop and pressed the clutch.

If you don't have a way to check the CalID or flash it yourself then maybe dig up the TSB on the idle problem and take it to a dealer and see what they would charge to update the CalID.

Interesting intersting interesting. I’ve put quite a few miles on my car and this only started happening after putting a new battery in. It’s weird that even though you get it reflagged, reseting the ECU fucks it up again.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:00 PM   #5
shaynek

Drives: BRZ Limited; GR86
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeneypoo View Post
Interesting intersting interesting. I’ve put quite a few miles on my car and this only started happening after putting a new battery in. It’s weird that even though you get it reflagged, reseting the ECU fucks it up again.
Funny thing is my car does this as well and I'm supercharged so I don't think its the tune. This happens when I reset the ECU either by removing the negative terminal of the battery or reflash the ECU. After 500 or so miles of driving the car starts to behave normally. I believe it's related to the throttle calibration. A shortcut method to calibrate the throttle is to
1. have your car in the On position with engine not running. press the gas petal 15-20 times.
2.Turn the car off. Wait 30 seconds.
3. repeat step 1 and 2.
4. start your engine.
See if this helps.
shaynek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 11:26 PM   #6
Skeneypoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynek View Post
Funny thing is my car does this as well and I'm supercharged so I don't think its the tune. This happens when I reset the ECU either by removing the negative terminal of the battery or reflash the ECU. After 500 or so miles of driving the car starts to behave normally. I believe it's related to the throttle calibration. A shortcut method to calibrate the throttle is to
1. have your car in the On position with engine not running. press the gas petal 15-20 times.
2.Turn the car off. Wait 30 seconds.
3. repeat step 1 and 2.
4. start your engine.
See if this helps.
Awesome! After I drove about 50-60 miles it started working like normal again.
Good tips though, will keep them noted.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:26 PM   #7
Skeneypoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8RZ View Post
Sounds like a slight vacuum leak, check all the hoses.
Thankfully it's not that..this time.
Old 11-08-2017, 11:27 PM   #8
Skeneypoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post

Thanks for the mode of confidence haha it worked itself out.
Old 11-09-2017, 02:35 AM   #9
Somerandom18

Drives: 2017 manual BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Could it be these cars have bad ground connections? I've heard of so many things caused by bad or lack of grounds. Just a thought. Could be wrong. Wouldn't hurt to check them though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Somerandom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 04:03 AM   #10
Skeneypoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somerandom18 View Post
Could it be these cars have bad ground connections? I've heard of so many things caused by bad or lack of grounds. Just a thought. Could be wrong. Wouldn't hurt to check them though.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Wouldn't think so. My car is stock and it happened right after removing the battery. It could have been, but patience seemed to have worked the issue out!
Old 11-09-2017, 04:20 AM   #11
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:

Yeah any time you flash the ECU or pull the battery it resets the ECU which puts it back into its learning mode. This is why all the tuning guides all say to not take log data seriously until you have about 200 miles on the car after each flash. What I don’t get is how people dyno tune if the car takes 200 miles to settle in. Surely people don’t go to the dyno, make a tune change, drive for a week and go back to the dyno.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:10 AM   #12
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Wouldn't think so. My car is stock and it happened right after removing the battery. It could have been, but patience seemed to have worked the issue out!

changing battery reset ECU.

ECU learned parameters for throttle and fuel trim learning lost
(along with a bunch of other learned info)

Few miles driving in varied conditions it will return to normal

more info

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68328

steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Boomerang (11-09-2017), Tcoat (11-09-2017)
Old 11-09-2017, 11:36 AM   #13
Skeneypoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
changing battery reset ECU.

ECU learned parameters for throttle and fuel trim learning lost
(along with a bunch of other learned info)

Few miles driving in varied conditions it will return to normal

more info

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68328

Yep, got it man. Thanks!
Old 11-09-2017, 01:38 PM   #14
runfrodorun

Drives: Red 2013 BRZ Premium 6MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Sorry if this has been said already, but I got this after the battery died the first winter that I had the car put away. The ECU forgot the idle parameters. After I got my warranty work done last week same deal, they no doubt disconnected my battery. 200 miles later back to normal. Probably doesn't even take that long, I just don't notice. Feels kind of like bad fuel is in the car but it's really not that serious.
runfrodorun is offline   Reply With Quote