follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Northern California

Northern California NorCal

User Tag List

Old 01-30-2017, 04:11 PM   #71
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Yet no one has answered the question, what's the big deal with having the front plate?

I've lived in states that required, it and when I did I had one. When I live in states that don't, I don't have one (or a vanity one).

No one seems to have a problem with the rear one, don't see any threads on "I'm going to leave my front plate on, but not going to put the back one on".

For those in the US, at least it's not as bad as European ones. You have options....

Its just ugly in many's opinion (including my own). On the BRZ it sticks out like a buck tooth. I have mine on one of the tow hook mount relocators. Still ugly, and some people say it looks uglier there than stock position but I like it better.

I don't mind the rear one since it has an obvious spot where it belongs by design. On the front it just doesnt fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by finch1750 View Post
Points stay for 3 years but I wonder if the record itself goes back longer since insurance and background checks ask for 5 years usually
Yea I don't think those disappear off your record at all, do they? In NYC the points are just used to determine if your license should be suspended, the record stays for insurance whoever else to decide how they want to use it to judge you.
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (01-30-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 04:27 PM   #72
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
Yet no one has answered the question, what's the big deal with having the front plate?

I've lived in states that required, it and when I did I had one. When I live in states that don't, I don't have one (or a vanity one).

No one seems to have a problem with the rear one, don't see any threads on "I'm going to leave my front plate on, but not going to put the back one on".

For those in the US, at least it's not as bad as European ones. You have options....

If a police pull someone over, most likely from the back and they can check if the car is stolen car or something. So i believe the rear make more sense than the front. I dont put my front because of looks. My previous car and this car doesnt come with front plate when i bought it from dealership.
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:12 PM   #73
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Whatever happened to things like dignity and taking things on the chin?
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scrappydoo For This Useful Post:
sdlynx (01-31-2017), Tcoat (01-30-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 02:32 PM   #74
gepeyo
Opal86

Drives: 2013 10 Series #Opal86
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FR-Sky View Post
If a police pull someone over, most likely from the back and they can check if the car is stolen car or something. So i believe the rear make more sense than the front. I dont put my front because of looks. My previous car and this car doesnt come with front plate when i bought it from dealership.
Then why don't you put the front plate on then? Just because they did not install the front plate bracket on any of your cars, does not mean you shouldn't put it on.

From my experience, they don't give you a front plate installed because it requires drilling into your front bumper, which many drivers who do tow-hook mount or etc do not want. My twin came pre-installed with a front plate and when I removed the plate to move it to a tow-hook, there was crazy scratches and drill marks on my front bumper. There is a good chance they wanted to prevent that incident or something different with your cars. I doubt car dealerships are telling you to not install it.

Also as Finch says, it is becoming super easy to put plates on after a fix it ticket is received and then take it right back off after getting it signed off. It is very unfortunate that it happened to you, but it was bound to eventually happen.

Regardless it sucks to hear about a non-correctable.
gepeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 02:35 PM   #75
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
[QUOTE=FR-Sky;2842296]If a police pull someone over, most likely from the back and they can check if the car is stolen car or something. So i believe the rear make more sense than the front. I dont put my front because of looks. My previous car and this car doesnt come with front plate when i bought it from dealership.[/QUOTE]

Its in the trunk or spare tire well probably. You sign a waiver when buying new cars saying you know its required to have one and they probided the mounting kit

And dmv definitely mails you 2 plates either way

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David

Last edited by finch1750; 01-31-2017 at 02:46 PM.
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
gepeyo (01-31-2017), jasonojordan (01-31-2017), strat61caster (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 02:39 PM   #76
gepeyo
Opal86

Drives: 2013 10 Series #Opal86
Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quote:
If a police pull someone over, most likely from the back and they can check if the car is stolen car or something. So i believe the rear make more sense than the front. I dont put my front because of looks. My previous car and this car doesnt come with front plate when i bought it from dealership.[/QUOTE]

Its in the trunk or spare tire well probably. You sign a waiver when buying new cars saying you know its required to have one and they probided the mounting kit
^What he said, unless you purchased the car like how I did, where it was originally built for someone else before me.
gepeyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 03:06 PM   #77
Yardjass

Drives: '14 Monogram, '95 Miata, '90 300ZX
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

If you have lived in a state where it isn't a requirement, you know it isn't necessary at all and it is just an extra convenience for cameras and LEO's to put one on both sides. It's also an extra cost to both you and the state and a complete waste of money in my opinion but the law is the law.

I think it's stupid and ridiculous and I'd cast a ballot against any candidate that supports it but the law is the law, so I run a front plate now that I live in a state that requires it.
Yardjass is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yardjass For This Useful Post:
jasonojordan (01-31-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 03:21 PM   #78
FirstWinter

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
I would just show up to court with proof of correction. Judge might even dismiss it so you don't have to pay the full fine.
FirstWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FirstWinter For This Useful Post:
FR-Sky (01-31-2017), strat61caster (01-31-2017), Yardjass (02-01-2017)
Old 01-31-2017, 11:14 PM   #79
FR-Sky

Quote:
Points stay for 3 years but I wonder if the record itself goes back longer since insurance and background checks ask for 5 years usually
I dont know about other insurance, I went to Allstate today, and she said insurance background check is Three Year.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:15 PM   #80
FR-Sky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xxyion View Post
I think it's less that he is upset that he got one and more the fact that he didnt get a fix-it ticket. As far as i'm aware running no front license plate is only a fix-it ticket. I got ticketed for the same thing and it was just a 25$ with proof that i changed to get the ticket cleared.

I've never heard that there was an even an option for a non-correctable ticket. By the terminology it almost sounds like even if he changed it back he is still getting hit with the full amount.

Personally i would contest it. At the same time i've had zero prior violations.

OP have you ever been pulled over for this before? Or maybe you have had a recent violation? Maybe that was the reason? If not then i'm not sure.
After reading all the replies, I think you and @funwheeldrive are the only person who understand me lol.
Old 02-01-2017, 12:02 AM   #81
Xxyion
Lowly Cartuber

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2005 Honda S2000
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
After reading all the replies, I think you and @funwheeldrive are the only person who understand me lol.
All good man. While i understand why people were saying what they were. I could tell you weren't really looking for a "how do i avoid a ticket" and more that you wanted someone to understand the unfair situation you were in...regardless of a solution.
2016 Limited MT WR Blue BRZ | Delicious Flash n Go Tune | Delicious Flex Fuel Kit | Nameless 2.5" with 5" Mufflers | JDL UEL Headers | Bayson R Diffuser/Side Skirts | APR Front Splitter | VIS Racing GT Wing | ST Suspension Coilovers | Grammlights Rays 57CR 17x9 +38 | Sumitomo HTR Z iii 235/45/17 |
Xxyion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Xxyion For This Useful Post:
FR-Sky (02-01-2017)
Old 02-01-2017, 01:38 AM   #82
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
Quote:
All good man. While i understand why people were saying what they were. I could tell you weren't really looking for a "how do i avoid a ticket" and more that you wanted someone to understand the unfair situation you were in...regardless of a solution.
It's not unfair if it is within the law. If it isnt within the law the judge can correct it in court and allow

Quote:
I dont know about other insurance, I went to Allstate today, and she said insurance background check is Three Year.
So either other places try to find out more on the honor system or All State is different and just dont care about that much longer. Recent background I filled out for something else asked for wrecks and tickets for 5 years. And here is Geico's questionnaire for a quote also
Attached Images

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 03:02 AM   #83
FR-Sky

Quote:
It's not unfair if it is within the law. If it isnt within the law the judge can correct it in court and allow

So either other places try to find out more on the honor system or All State is different and just dont care about that much longer. Recent background I filled out for something else asked for wrecks and tickets for 5 years. And here is Geico's questionnaire for a quote also
Like i said for many times, if law said $100 for everyone who got no front license plate,,i shut my mouth and pay that with pride. But this is not the case here.

Well, I have been using all state since I got my license 10 years ago. They have been taken good care of my family, (2 accidents). Mostly likely I wouldn't choose other insurance. Also, they offer good student discount, housing, and good driver discount, basically they drop my rate each year between $50-100. Currently, I am paying $1100/6months on two fully covered car, and one liability car. Less than 200/month for three car is not bad.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:16 AM   #84
treminaor
"DGM BRZ"

Drives: 2016 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
I haven't put front plates on any of my cars in last 8 years and haven't ever received a warning or citation, even while being pulled over for other very serious speeding violations. Seems it's totally up to the discretion of the cop and how much they respect you and your car. I think your chances really depend on the areas you frequently commute/park and how bored their cops are.

However as everyone's already mentioned in here I'm knowingly ignoring the law and I have no right to be angry when a cop inevitably pulls me over for it and tells me to fix it - I'm prepared to do that once I'm forced to but for now I'm just enjoying the look of my car without it. BUT... I would expect the $25 fix-it ticket, not some $200+ bullshit violation - that's right up there with a low speeding ticket, red light or a lane violation.. what a joke.. all the intersection & toll cameras capture your face and rear plates so I've never seen the point of these.

I heard some story about how you can complain that you don't want to ruin your classic/exotic car with drill holes because it damages the value of the car, but that's probably just some bullshit. And of course there's mounts now to get around the drill holes but that doesn't change how much it ruins the lines of the car (or blocks the air intake depending on where you put the stupid thing).

Quote:
I always drive a bit slower and try to be as quiet as i can now whenever i see a cop...might be a strictly Bay Area only thing.
Words to live by.