follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 12-15-2018, 09:09 PM   #1
Ahhdoom

Drives: FRSBRZ86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
In the market for FRS/BRZ/86

Hi all. First post. New to the forum.
I just paid off my motorcycle and wanted to grab a decent daily because i got a junk car right now. I have always been into the FRS/BRZ/86 cause its so sleek,clean and drives nice as well.

I have done my research and found:

2014 FRS monogram TRUECAR $13,900 60k miles
Thing is this one didn't seem like it was a Monogram series. Am I wrong? I looked at the preview pictures but the dashboard didn't look like what I have seen.

I believe this is a true monogram?
REAL 2014 Monogram $16,700 50k miles

I also looked into the BRZ's
2014 BRZ TRUECAR $14,999 47k miles
2014 BRZ GURU $15,785 55k miles
2015 BRZ GURU $16,734 49k miles
I don't think I am going for the 86 cause it isn't in my price range sadly.
I am leaning more towards the GURU BRZ's, 2015 one because its a bit newer and lower miles plus it is near me. Though what do yall think who have owned the car or know more?

First time purchasing a car out of state and would like to know if I am doing my research properly. I can afford a max of 17k and have great credit so I know my rates won't be absurd. Plus I think i'll try to haggle the price down if possible. Maybe negotiate to 16k OTD price if I fall for the 2015 BRZ GURU?

I am unsure and would like input from everyone. Good or bad about my decisions.

I also don't plan to really mod the sh*t out of the car only a tune and maybe supercharge. Ideally just want to daily a nice ride.
Thanks in advance.
Ahhdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahhdoom For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 12:09 AM   #2
Hades

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Go with 2014+, less issues. Other than that, personally I would just find the cleanest base FRS I could - the higher trims really don't add much to the car IMO. I would try to start the car cold to see if you hear any squealing sounds - my 13 had TOB issues and it started with a horrible squealing only when cold. Seems fairly common with these cars. Also obviously check for CEL, and I would also try to find an owner who has already changed the spark plugs at those miles (PITA to do yourself).
Hades is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hades For This Useful Post:
humfrz (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 03:29 AM   #3
Grey86

Drives: Tornato grey 86
I would try and get the newest model available as the manufacture tend to fix any bugs or issues as the years go by.
tbh the higher trim is nice it just depends if you would like the heated seats and cleaner look and such.
Just be sure to go for a test drive before offering a price as you can try to bring the price down if there are any problems. Not to mention looking UNDER the car for any frame damage, trust me the amount of people that dont know the proper jacking points is crazy. I would do a oil change for customers and ill see that the frame is damage and you can see the imprints of where they jacked it up.

If possible see if a mate or someone you know can come, as when you go buy a car you get excited and over look things, having a second or even third pair of eyes could save you buying a car with many problems.

Hope this was helpful
Good luck
Grey86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
Ahhdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades View Post
Go with 2014+, less issues. Other than that, personally I would just find the cleanest base FRS I could - the higher trims really don't add much to the car IMO. I would try to start the car cold to see if you hear any squealing sounds - my 13 had TOB issues and it started with a horrible squealing only when cold. Seems fairly common with these cars. Also obviously check for CEL, and I would also try to find an owner who has already changed the spark plugs at those miles (PITA to do yourself).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey86 View Post
I would try and get the newest model available as the manufacture tend to fix any bugs or issues as the years go by.
tbh the higher trim is nice it just depends if you would like the heated seats and cleaner look and such.
Just be sure to go for a test drive before offering a price as you can try to bring the price down if there are any problems. Not to mention looking UNDER the car for any frame damage, trust me the amount of people that dont know the proper jacking points is crazy. I would do a oil change for customers and ill see that the frame is damage and you can see the imprints of where they jacked it up.

If possible see if a mate or someone you know can come, as when you go buy a car you get excited and over look things, having a second or even third pair of eyes could save you buying a car with many problems.

Hope this was helpful
Good luck
These are very helpful. First time buyer on a car and all these small things help. I think I will go with the 2014+ seems everyone on the forum has said there has been small minor problems with the 013's that have been fixed with new editions.
Old 12-16-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Where in ohio are you?
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 10:04 AM   #6
Ahhdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
Where in ohio are you?
I am in the columbus area. I'm not searching locally because there are so many great deals out there that I think are better then in state.
Old 12-16-2018, 11:11 AM   #7
Myuri

Drives: 2016 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahhdoom View Post
I am in the columbus area. I'm not searching locally because there are so many great deals out there that I think are better then in state.
As I too am searching for the same thing ive went and looked at many brzs/frs and I love the deals i see online for other places but i can almost guarantee the price being lower has something to do with discrepancies on the car most of the time. also dealers like to lie about prices online
Myuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,796 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
[CENTER]
Hi all. First post. New to the forum.
Hello Ahhdoom and welcome to - The Forum -

I'm kinda liking the first car you listed.

Why?

It's less expensive and I like the white color.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 12:40 PM   #9
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
I was going to say there are some good deals I have found in michigan area. The prices do seem to be creeping back up though.

I half assed tried to sell my 14 limited manual with 32k for 16k in this area though and never got a bite so I parked it back in the garage.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 03:06 PM   #10
Ahhdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
I was going to say there are some good deals I have found in michigan area. The prices do seem to be creeping back up though.

I half assed tried to sell my 14 limited manual with 32k for 16k in this area though and never got a bite so I parked it back in the garage.
Weird you aint got a bite! Anything done to it? Im looking at the 2015 limited one I posted on main post. Dealer contacted me and said the price is possibly negotiable. I would rather much get the subies over scions. Just preference and plus the limited has all the perks. Found out the monograms were not what I expected.
Old 12-17-2018, 10:01 AM   #11
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Careful with Monogram and other special edition listings.
I've noticed that theres a few that get listed as such but are clearly just base models. Most likely they have/had been modded and the dealers or whomever don't have a proper description so they just use those monogram/special editions to describe it.

Its easy to identify them as base models. Monogram/release series/10 series get the DRL strip in the headlight cluster and the dual zone climate controls interior, while base cars do not.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sasquachulator For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (12-17-2018)
Old 12-17-2018, 05:01 PM   #12
Ahhdoom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquachulator View Post
Careful with Monogram and other special edition listings.
I've noticed that theres a few that get listed as such but are clearly just base models. Most likely they have/had been modded and the dealers or whomever don't have a proper description so they just use those monogram/special editions to describe it.

Its easy to identify them as base models. Monogram/release series/10 series get the DRL strip in the headlight cluster and the dual zone climate controls interior, while base cars do not.
Exactly what i was thinking. I saw the interior and didnt see it ad a monogram so i am staying far away from it! I think im just gonna stick with BRZ's limited. So far the 2015 is off the list cause of taxes. The 2014 is still up for grabs so im gonna be checking that out.