follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 09-29-2016, 11:14 PM   #1
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Controlling the nannies in 2017 vs. pre 2017

Do you guys know how exactly it works in 2017 compared to pre-2017?

Also, I want to be sure that I know how pre-2017 works. Here is what I think, please correct me

pre-2017:
single press of the TRAC button: TC off until the car exceeds certain speed
pressing VSC Sport button: both TC and VSC less sensitive, i.e. allowing for some wheel slip before they intervene
holding TRAC button for > 3 seconds: according to the manual, this should turn both TC and VSC off, but is it true? Or will they still kick in under certain circumstances?
pedal dance: all nannies except ABS are completely off, i.e. TC, VSC, EBD, and brake assist.

2017:
what has changed, what is different? How does 2017 VSC Track differ from pre-2017 VSC sport? Does pedal dance still work in 2017?

Thanks in advance for any (solid) information. Also sorry if it has been posted before, but these are not easily searchable topics.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdm For This Useful Post:
timurrrr (08-03-2019)
Old 09-30-2016, 02:02 AM   #2
fitcious

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
To my knowledge, you can't really turn off 'everything' but in track mode, the threshold before the systems kick in is higher so you can have more fun on the track.
fitcious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 06:52 AM   #3
rkaywhodat

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 Halo
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
On the 2017 in the owner manual for the 86 it states if holding the TRAC button for three seconds it still removes VSC and TC and they won't come back unless manually forced too.

The 'Track' keeps both VSC and TC on just allows you to push the limits a bit further. @Zaku posted a video of his 86 review where he was able to easily drift using Track mode.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk
rkaywhodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2016, 07:47 AM   #4
JDM4E

Drives: Honda Accord Euro
I wish for no more pedal dance for 2017
JDM4E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
WWFT86

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Alright here's my understanding after reading the MY17 manual. Comments/Corrections welcome but hope this will help clarify things:

Single press of the "Traction-off" button (leftmost button, looks like a car with skidmark and the word "off" at bottom): This is what Toyota/Subaru intended for "rough roads" , or in situations when you're stuck in mud/dirt/snow. This turns off the Traction Control (TC) system so it will not reduce power from engine to wheel, and in turn allow you to rock the vehicle in order to free it.
Indicator light so you know you're in this mode: "TRAC OFF"
TC will be enabled again when:
- Press of the TRAC button again
- regular key-start vehicle -- engine switch is turned to "LOCK" position
- push-button-start vehicle -- push button ignition turned off
- It'll automatically turn on when vehicle speed is more than 50km/h (~31mph)

Holding the TRACK button (rightmost button with the checkered flag) for 1 second or more get you into "TRACK" mode -- This is what Toyota/Subaru intended for "Sport driving" -- TC, VSC and Brake LSD tuned / conducive to spirited driving with good amount of wheel slip but will still steps in eventually if it thinks you've messed up (or in Toyota/Subaru own verbiage -- "to afford maneuverability closer to what a driver may desire, while a sense of security is retained" lol The threshold of this TRACK mode nanny is more lenient than the "VSC Sport" mode in the 1st Gen FRS/BRZ where many complained the nanny is over-protective and intervenes too soon.
Indicator light so you know you're in this mode: "Car with skidmark and word OFF at bottom" and "TRACK"
To turn off this mode, simply press the TRACK mode button (rightmost) or "Traction-off" button (leftmost). This mode will also be turned off when:
- note track mode will NOT turn off even after reaching 50km/h (~31 mph)

Holding the "Traction-off" button (leftmost button, looks like a car with skidmark and the word "off" at bottom) for 3 seconds while he vehicle is stopped get you into an ALL-OFF (aka. You're on your own) mode -- This is what Toyota/Subaru intended for completely turning off TC and VSC. Brake LSD will be off as well if it's a MT but in an automatic transmission the Brake LSD will be in "TRACK mode" still. In the first gen FRS/BRZ with MT, Brake LSD remained on in this mode and often cause interference when the driver wants to take full control. This is perhaps why there was a need for the pedal dance (someone from 1st gen pls confirm?)
Indicator light so you know you're in this mode: "TRAC OFF" and "Car with skidmark with word OFF at bottom"
To turn off this mode, simply press the "Tracktion-off" button. This mode will also be turned off when:
- note this mode will NOT turn off even after reaching 50km/h (~31 mph)

Lastly for those with the automatic transmission -- You'll find two buttons in the middle that says "SPORT" on top and "SNOW" at bottom.

"SPORT" -- Note this is NOT the TRACK mode! If you are driving the AT truly as an Automatic (e.g. not Manual mode), in this mode lower gears are used and gears change at a higher engine speed. Note if you're driving the AT in "manual mode" and press this button, the word "SPORT" will come on but sport mode controls will not be carried out.

"SNOW" -- This simply starts the car in 2nd gear to prevent slippage / wheelspin in snowy conditions -- a trick commonly used by MT drivers.

Now if you have the AT -- you've got to try the "Manual mode" !! I've driven several MT transmission cars in the past 25 years and this AT with "Manual mode" is truly a pleasure to drive especially when you use the console shifter (with the + and -) and not the paddle shifter. For me you get the fun and control in gear selection of the manual transmission but without the hassle of the clutch in bumper-to-bumper traffic. (or if you run/exercise a lot and your feet need rest The downshift blip rev matching is also very nicely done.
WWFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WWFT86 For This Useful Post:
BirdTRD (10-02-2016), Prodigalson (02-02-2018), TofuJoe (11-17-2018), Zaku (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 10:02 AM   #6
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by WWFT86 View Post
Alright here's my understanding after reading the MY17 manual.
Thank you! That's more or less what I suspected. However, a few things are still not clear for me. What exactly is the difference between the "on your own" mode (long press of TRAC off) and the pedal dance mode. Also, does the pedal dance work in 2017 at all? Finally, forgive my lack of knowledge, but what is the "Brake LSD"?
Old 10-02-2016, 10:44 AM   #7
Mr.Impreza
Mr.Fujitsubo

Drives: 2018 STI
Thanked 1,552 Times in 784 Posts
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I heard the new 2017 "track" mode is just a marketing gimmick and basically the same as the regular VSC in the 2013-2016.

Yeah sure it kicks in "later"....but lets be real...once the tires start slipping the systems are kicking in so it doesn't change anything. Your still having a system that is super in your face and likes to slap you hard once if notices grip is being lost.

If you want to feel the car in a more pure form and enjoyable manner and are mature, turn everything off.

I've driven this car with everything off for 2 years and it's way more easy to control. Just drive safe. Lots of people turn of the systems and think they are instant track stars and take corners at triple the speed limit and end up in tree and curbs.

I only use the VSC nannies in rainy days since the stock primacy tires are very sloppy in the rain. However in general better be safe so keep your nannies on in wet/winter weather no matter the tires.

Mr.Impreza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Impreza For This Useful Post:
Taka (10-02-2016), Teseo (10-03-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 11:09 AM   #8
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Impreza View Post
Yeah sure it kicks in "later"....but lets be real...once the tires start slipping the systems are kicking in so it doesn't change anything. Your still having a system that is super in your face and likes to slap you hard once if notices grip is being lost.

If you want to feel the car in a more pure form and enjoyable manner and are mature, turn everything off.

I've driven this car with everything off for 2 years and it's way more easy to control. Just drive safe. Lots of people turn of the systems and think they are instant track stars and take corners at triple the speed limit and end up in tree and curbs.

I only use the VSC nannies in rainy days since the stock primacy tires are very sloppy in the rain. However in general better be safe so keep your nannies on in wet/winter weather no matter the tires.

If it kicks later, then it is worse for my tastes. I had an issue once on a rainy day when the car started sliding and the electronics on the standard setting were already too late. In fact I was waiting and waiting and finally I started to correct myself. All these things in a fraction of a second, but still very noticeable. When the electronics eventually started, the complete thing was a mess. The system confused my corrections with its own settings.

I agree with you that when you turn everything off, the car behaves better. Of course you should have the appropriate physical condition and reflexes.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:05 PM   #9
WWFT86

Drives: 2017 BRZ Limited
Well it will take someone with access or experience to both 1st gen and MY17 to confirm. Now there was an very in-dept PDF that Subaru released and was posted a month or two back. That PDF clearly suggest the Track mode thresholds being more lenient vs the VSC sport mode in 1st Gen.

Quote:
I heard the new 2017 "track" mode is just a marketing gimmick and basically the same as the regular VSC in the 2013-2016.

WWFT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:22 PM   #10
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Doesn't pedal dance require OFT or other custom tuning stuff?
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 12:24 PM   #11
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapphireho View Post
Doesn't pedal dance require OFT or other custom tuning stuff?

AFAIK no (at least in pre-2017). I think there are mods that make it simple, i.e. you press a button instead of doing the dance.
Old 10-02-2016, 12:41 PM   #12
deejaylew

Drives: AP1 Honda S2000, Focus RS
Quote:

That's not exactly how track and sport mode work. The vehicles can sense yaw as well as wheel slip. It's much more complex than just detecting if a wheel slips. The car does calculations to more accurately guess controlled oversteer from unintended sliding, that is not a gimmick in fact it is a trend in the sports automotive industry. The manufacturers are trying to allow consumers to take cars right up to the limit without consequence. Look at how much attention the focus RS "drift mode" is getting (which is much more complex than what the subaru is attempting because of the torque vectoring), the addition of these modes is huge for people looking to go a little harder on the street.

On a side note there have been reviews already from people who are getting the back end out on the 17' 86 and BRZ who say the track mode is more lenient and the corrections are much less abrupt.
deejaylew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deejaylew For This Useful Post:
Zaku (10-02-2016)
Old 10-02-2016, 06:22 PM   #13
Sapphireho
Pressure fried

Drives: '15 ultramarine
Thanked 18,204 Times in 8,592 Posts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
AFAIK no (at least in pre-2017). I think there are mods that make it simple, i.e. you press a button instead of doing the dance.
Don't know what af.., means, what mods, and can you be more vague?
Sapphireho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 06:39 PM   #14
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
It'd be cool if we could reprogram the vsc mode to the higher limits of the 2017 model. That is unless any hardware changed?

-Josh
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote