follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 12-27-2013, 01:40 PM   #21239
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
@Dimman @Calum

Jackson Racing or Kraftwerks? I think the Rotrex is the unit for me (or maybe the intercooled Innovate, but not sure - turbo is out though), but I can't decide on a kit. The price difference is negligible. Intake piping on the Kraftwerks kit looks superior. Cooler on the JR kit looks superior. Both are the same unit though.
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
sklimo (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 01:42 PM   #21240
kanundrum

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Thanked 3,016 Times in 1,711 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Orb is going FI! Oh My! LOL.

Sure you don't want to go Turbo? Take mine out for a Spin
Old 12-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #21241
sklimo
Banned

Drives: 2013 Supercharged SSM BRZ Limited
Thanked 12,901 Times in 5,671 Posts
Mentioned: 316 Post(s)
Tagged: 12 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
@Dimman @Calum

Jackson Racing or Kraftwerks? I think the Rotrex is the unit for me (or maybe the intercooled Innovate, but not sure - turbo is out though), but I can't decide on a kit. The price difference is negligible. Intake piping on the Kraftwerks kit looks superior. Cooler on the JR kit looks superior. Both are the same unit though.

I'm going with Jackson Racing.
Old 12-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #21242
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanundrum View Post
Orb is going FI! Oh My! LOL.

Sure you don't want to go Turbo? Take mine out for a Spin
Yes, FI for me. Too many embarrassing not-passes. No turbo because too much power. After owning a turbo car and having that "depress throttle, BOOOOOOOM torque" I think I'd like to try the linear powerband of a super.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sklimo View Post
I'm going with Jackson Racing.
Why?
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Giccin (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 02:10 PM   #21243
sklimo
Banned

Garage
Quote:
Yes, FI for me. Too many embarrassing not-passes. No turbo because too much power. After owning a turbo car and having that "depress throttle, BOOOOOOOM torque" I think I'd like to try the linear powerband of a super.

Why?

Honestly I like the look better than the rest. The ease of install as well
Old 12-27-2013, 03:01 PM   #21244
Calum
That Guy

Drives: 2013 asphalt FRS MT
Thanked 2,867 Times in 1,499 Posts
Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Why?
I'm still completely up in the air. I know turbo is out for me to, but I can't decide between the three kits you mentioned either. Also the Nameless header still has me intrigued. I really want to see what gains that header makes with a SC kit and which ones it fits with. It does come up in front of the engine, but it looks lower profile then the others. Of course they still wont publish an installed pic or any actual info.

Right now, I'm waiting to see where the chips fall on the JR and KW kits. Will people start having bearing problems with the KW? Will the piping on the JR turn out to be a restriction? Will the intercooler on the KW, being partially behind the bumper beam turn out to be a positive or a negative? What headers will fit? Can they actually be tuned remotely despite what Bob says?

Will the fittings on the Innovate kit finally get sealed before it's in the hands of the customer? Why is goose going through belts, and will his latest next size down belt fix the issue?

And of course which one makes more power and where?

There's just too many questions yet.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:02 PM   #21245
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Thus, we wait.
Old 12-27-2013, 03:35 PM   #21246
KslayFRZ

Drives: 2013 Frs asphalt
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Younger Toyota in Hagerstown has the worst fucking service ever.... you've been warned

FB-Mid Atlantic 86...join the family(fix)

https://m.facebook.com/home.php?refs...user=501535788
Old 12-27-2013, 04:01 PM   #21247
Propaganda
Diamonds & Cadillacs

Drives: '13 fr-s, 1974 911s
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Welp... I did it. Made a blog post. haha. I'll probably post some other things about my ever-so-interesting life.

If you're bored or have some time to kill..

http://thoughtidsayhello.blogspot.com/
Old 12-27-2013, 08:59 PM   #21248
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
@Dimman @Calum

I haven't been paying too much attention to FI lately. How are the Innovates holding up?

Intercooled Lysholm-style twin screw is what I'd be looking for.

Because titanium.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #21249
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
I haven't been paying too much attention to FI lately. How are the Innovates holding up?

Intercooled Lysholm-style twin screw is what I'd be looking for.
I remember a long time ago, in the age of this forum, some guys were talking about a newer style twin screw that was much more efficient and offered a compressor size that would match well to this engine. Was that the Lysholm you speak of?

The innovate power figures are all over the map, but very few are actually running the intercooler. I'm guessing the power numbers are only showing how much time was given to allow the engine to cool between runs.

Also there's a lot of issues with the plastic fittings not sealing well and it's turned out that they're british pipe threads. I'm waiting for the first guy to just weld most of the holes shut, put a bulk head fitting in and then just run a vacuum manifold.

And a few guys are having belt issues. Goose has gone through a bunch and had a part of his wiring harness chewed thanks to this.

I'm also wondering about the effectiveness of the intercooler. There's been some debate there, to.
Old 12-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #21250
Dimman
Kuruma Otaku

Drives: Mk3 Supra with Semi-built 7MGTE
Thanked 2,265 Times in 1,234 Posts
Mentioned: 78 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
I remember a long time ago, in the age of this forum, some guys were talking about a newer style twin screw that was much more efficient and offered a compressor size that would match well to this engine. Was that the Lysholm you speak of?

The innovate power figures are all over the map, but very few are actually running the intercooler. I'm guessing the power numbers are only showing how much time was given to allow the engine to cool between runs.

Also there's a lot of issues with the plastic fittings not sealing well and it's turned out that they're british pipe threads. I'm waiting for the first guy to just weld most of the holes shut, put a bulk head fitting in and then just run a vacuum manifold.

And a few guys are having belt issues. Goose has gone through a bunch and had a part of his wiring harness chewed thanks to this.

I'm also wondering about the effectiveness of the intercooler. There's been some debate there, to.
Lysholm was the inventor or patent holder of the twin screw design.

Me and @serialk11r were debating between the efficiencies of the Lysholm/twin screw vs a new Roots blower, the TVS.

The TVS seems to be better on paper but the appropriate size seems to be a unicorn. And the only papers are Eaton's so no independent analysis, especially since there is nothing available to test in the ~2.0l range.

Traditionally the Lysholms have better efficiency because they have designed in compression and better sealing, wheteas a Roots-type just produces boost from blowing a large volume of air, with resistance to flow creating the pressure, but also heat. Roots also traditionally had more leakage past the lobes further hurting efficiency.

But all my SC knowledge is book only. No real world experience, which is why I'm interested in positive displacement. Centrifugal half turbos strike me as a crap halfbreed of turbo and SC belt drive.

Need more SC experience...

Because titanium.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dimman For This Useful Post:
Calum (12-27-2013)
Old 12-27-2013, 10:47 PM   #21251
Calum
That Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimman View Post
Lysholm was the inventor or patent holder of the twin screw design.

Me and @serialk11r were debating between the efficiencies of the Lysholm/twin screw vs a new Roots blower, the TVS.

The TVS seems to be better on paper but the appropriate size seems to be a unicorn. And the only papers are Eaton's so no independent analysis, especially since there is nothing available to test in the ~2.0l range.

Traditionally the Lysholms have better efficiency because they have designed in compression and better sealing, wheteas a Roots-type just produces boost from blowing a large volume of air, with resistance to flow creating the pressure, but also heat. Roots also traditionally had more leakage past the lobes further hurting efficiency.

But all my SC knowledge is book only. No real world experience, which is why I'm interested in positive displacement. Centrifugal half turbos strike me as a crap halfbreed of turbo and SC belt drive.

Need more SC experience...
I hate answering such a long post with just a click of a button but I don't have anymore to add...

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk
Old 12-27-2013, 10:56 PM   #21252
sklimo
Banned

Garage
Quote:

Why?
A little off quote but just watched 2 episodes of how it's made and one was turbo car one SC. They put thermal cam to both and turbo gets madddddd hot sc not anywhere near. I know how both work but why such big temp diff?? Never owned FI so this one will be first

Edit they both had intercoolers

Last edited by sklimo; 12-27-2013 at 11:15 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
221whp, :popcorn:, autobahnned, bringbackthebutts, brucelee, chucknorris, cutiepiepoppoppocorn, docking and snoodling, don'tbesadintotheocean, epic funnies, everyoneignoresmyposts, fuck yeah, funny thread tag, go_a_way1 was here, go_a_waycopiedspecialk, hey youse guys!, hoonigans, i am supreme., i like chocolate milk, i like to poop a lot, i like turtles, ichitaco, insertjokehere, invadethistread39erstyle, kr-s have my babies, kr-s is a faaggot, kr-s is a loser, mythbeliever, myunclesaid..., only the strong survive, postheredontbotherashrink, rules_of_nature, sklimo liked it, skylineislyfe, special_k was here, tagageddon 2016, thetagofreason, titsorgtfo, troz, whathappenedtothetags?