follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs)

Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash, Wax, Detailing, Body Repairs) Wash, Wax, Details, Repairs

User Tag List

Old 11-27-2019, 04:01 PM   #57
scotto79

Drives: 2016 Ablaze FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm really thinking it would be easier to just get the car wrapped than worrying about the paint quality. I'm finding chips in the weirdest spots, just found some on top of the trunk lid and top of the rear arches last time I washed it.
scotto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2019, 04:48 PM   #58
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,183 Times in 3,472 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotto79 View Post
I'm really thinking it would be easier to just get the car wrapped than worrying about the paint quality. I'm finding chips in the weirdest spots, just found some on top of the trunk lid and top of the rear arches last time I washed it.
You can make a car from its rallying heritage but you can't take the rally heritage out of the car.. perhaps your car thinks it's on a special WRC stage, throwing rocks and crud onto its hips and boot...
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JD001 For This Useful Post:
scotto79 (11-28-2019)
Old 11-28-2019, 04:42 AM   #59
scotto79

There are no serious gravel fire roads here, just 3 construction sections in a 15 minute commute all full of dump trucks.

At least fire road WRC driving would be fun and the chips would be expected then.
Old 11-28-2019, 05:28 AM   #60
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Quote:
I have an actual chip on my rear bumper somehow lol I also have them on my rear fenders
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:20 AM   #61
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
This has crossed my mind a few times. Let's assume a quality wrap was applied. Is the original paint that shoddy that, removing the wrap could cause damage?
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #62
scotto79

A good quality wrap probably would pull some paint off, clear coat at least.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2020, 02:54 AM   #63
2020BRZtS

Drives: '20 BRZ tS (15/300) / '09 Scion tC
Garage
Glad I purchased the warranty

My BRZ is not as seasoned as any of the cars discussed, but when I bought my car in December, the dealership offered Opti-coat and a lifetime warranty against paint chips, swirls, scratches, cracks, fading, bird poop, and PDR with no deductible.

They also offered a 5-year warranty against any interior mishaps such as rips, tears, fading, wearing, stains, watermarks... just about anything but a burn hole. It also covers wheel rash and replacement tires if you run over something, and as a bonus a new fob every year for 5 years.

The two warranties combined pretty much cover anything that would be out of pocket that you couldn't submit through insurance... all for about $25 USD additional per month on a 5-year loan.

Was anyone else offered these types of warranties when they bought their car?
2020BRZtS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 07:22 AM   #64
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,195 Times in 1,124 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020BRZtS View Post
My BRZ is not as seasoned as any of the cars discussed, but when I bought my car in December, the dealership offered Opti-coat and a lifetime warranty against paint chips, swirls, scratches, cracks, fading, bird poop, and PDR with no deductible.

They also offered a 5-year warranty against any interior mishaps such as rips, tears, fading, wearing, stains, watermarks... just about anything but a burn hole. It also covers wheel rash and replacement tires if you run over something, and as a bonus a new fob every year for 5 years.

The two warranties combined pretty much cover anything that would be out of pocket that you couldn't submit through insurance... all for about $25 USD additional per month on a 5-year loan.

Opti-coat is a good coating. It uses Sic rather than Sio2. Main difference being that SIC actually bonds with the clear coat rather than sit ontop.

Most dealers use some cheap unknown coating that is junk and should be avoided. My dealer did this. I ended up doing it my self.

Also opti-coat doesn't really resist scratches. It will resist wash induced marring/swirls a bit. It's one of the overblown stereotypes of ceramic coatings. The car stays cleaner longer and washes easier which in turn helps reduce wash induced scratches, marring and swirls.

Hopefully you have a bottle of opti-coat hyper-seal for iyour coating. Really makes the coating pop.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
2020BRZtS (02-11-2020)
Old 03-07-2020, 08:03 PM   #65
AlexBRZ2

Drives: 2020 BRZ Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2020BRZtS View Post

I got my BRZ in nov. so I’m with you with the unseasoned BRZ. I don’t remember the interior one but I do remember the chips and scratches one. I considered it but it just didn’t seem worth it to me personally. The dealership I went to had a warranty that costed $700 that gives you a $70 dealership credit every 6 months, discounted labor, free rental cars, and several other dealership perks I’m probably not going to use. I felt that one was worth it to me because that will pretty much let me have free oil changes and not really have to worry about that. I understand some people here won’t think it’s worth that since they can do it on their own but it’s nice to know I can just drop my car off after work one day and pick it up the next. As hard as it is to let it go!
AlexBRZ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:03 AM   #66
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBRZ2 View Post
I got my BRZ in nov. so I’m with you with the unseasoned BRZ. I don’t remember the interior one but I do remember the chips and scratches one. I considered it but it just didn’t seem worth it to me personally. The dealership I went to had a warranty that costed $700 that gives you a $70 dealership credit every 6 months, discounted labor, free rental cars, and several other dealership perks I’m probably not going to use. I felt that one was worth it to me because that will pretty much let me have free oil changes and not really have to worry about that. I understand some people here won’t think it’s worth that since they can do it on their own but it’s nice to know I can just drop my car off after work one day and pick it up the next. As hard as it is to let it go!
Never ever drop any car off on a friday and pick it up on a monday , otherwise the stealership will be using it (road testing it) as an employee loaner all weekend.
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 05:06 AM   #67
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,183 Times in 3,472 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.chalkley View Post
Never ever drop any car off on a friday and pick it up on a monday , otherwise the stealership will be using it (road testing it) as an employee loaner all weekend.
I have left my cars at dealers for long periods of time due to travelling overseas. No issues if you find the right dealers.
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #68
AlexBRZ2

Drives: 2020 BRZ Blue Pearl
Quote:
I didn’t really consider that at the dealership I go to. Even if I did, I wouldn’t want to have a weekend without my car!
AlexBRZ2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2020, 06:43 AM   #69
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Maybe in Australia. Never heard of that happening here.