follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List

Old 01-03-2020, 12:05 PM   #4243
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtfluffy16 View Post
I was just going to say as the last person said. I had problems with my kit about 2 or 3 years ago during the install process and CJ was the one who was super helpful to me. He helped out with every and all aspects. Unfortunately about a year ago I tried to talk to him and they wouldn't even transfer me to him. Let alone now I found out he doesn't even work there and they wouldn't tell me that.

As far as not being able to stand up to track abuse. I'm not quite sure how or why all of you are breaking so many belts. Or maybe it's just not set correctly. I've had the kit on for 10000 miles. At least 2,000 of those are track miles. And I've ran from 120 Degree Days to 60 Degree Days. I do have a backup belt but I've never broken one..yet...knocking on wood

Maybe you just got lucky? I mean, I've got a brand new 30mm upgrade kit. The pulleys don't line the belt properly to the crank, and if that isn't enough, the pulleys are already walking around like that's normal for bearings to do. This is within 15 miles of install.

Just to gather data, do you have the 30mm kit? Does the belt overhang the crank pulley? I am just curious as to how my kit can be the only one with this issue.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 12:28 PM   #4244
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgtfluffy16 View Post
I do not have the belt upgrade kit. I just had the standard belt that came with the kit. My car was tuned on 93 octane on a 90-degree humid june day in 2016. 11 pounds of boost, 320 horse and 240 torque at the wheel on a heartbreaker hub dynapack dyno

One of the bearings on the 20mm pulleys was needing replaced, so between finding a good deal on the 30mm kit, and the perceived necessity I'm now twiddling thumbs. I honestly think this is fixable, but don't think it's going to be something I want to continue pursuit with.

I've considered putting the 20mm pulley kit back on with all new bearings, because the 30mm crank pulley should protrude further than it does, and I shouldn't have to shim them 2mm for proper alignment. The bearings shouldn't be sloppy when under this type of tension, either brand new or after 10k miles.

Now the question for me is whether to get the Jackson kit or figure out a turbo kit that doesn't melt after a 20 minute track session.
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 10:33 AM   #4245
beastman5

Drives: non
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Im looking to buy a broken rotrex head unit if anyone has one please pm me
beastman5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 08:22 PM   #4246
poormansr

Drives: Japanese
Quote:
Originally Posted by beastman5 View Post
Im looking to buy a broken rotrex head unit if anyone has one please pm me

im in the same boat.. looking for broken dead rotrex units for spare parts..
poormansr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:22 PM   #4247
auryn79

Drives: Asphalt 2013 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Im almost done with my install but I'm stuck at the moment.

How do you install the One-Way Check Valve on the PCV Hose line? Instructions were a little vague and they don't show what it supposed to look like after its installed.
Can anyone help?
auryn79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2020, 03:22 PM   #4248
Apoc

Drives: Raven FR-S 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Saw this on instagram. Since when does the KW kit make 400hp/270torque?
https://www.instagram.com/p/CAInJdHlsJL/
Old 05-27-2020, 08:01 PM   #4249
codec

Drives: gt86 FIRST edition #86
Hello guys I mounted the kit and after 5000km I updated with 30 mm belt kit for some problems with the bearings of the pulleys... I ask you for help to understand a few things, how do you optimally stretch the belt once the kit is mounted? Did someone make a video? Trying to stretch the belt I noticed a very loud noise that then decreased loosening the belt but seems to be too soft, I wondered if it was due only to the fact that the strap is new... kw recommends 16 -18 mm From the plate to the bottom edge of the tendon screw but at that distance it is deafening, those of you who have updated with the 30 mm kit can tell me what distance it uses for the tender ... further disassembling the plate to mount the 30 mm kit I noticed that from the oil pipes did not leak then once mounted I tried to figure out from the oil tank if turning on the car the level dropped but nothing, ideas?
... sorry I'm reading all the pages but I thought I'd ask these questions to understand your experiences...
codec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2020, 02:00 PM   #4250
projek_01

Drives: 1996 ST204, Series 10 FR-S
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have one of these old first gen 20mm smaller diameter pulleys laying around that they could sell me? I'm trying to go high boost without getting the 30mm upgrade kit. I had one in the past but KW replaced my entire pulley setup when I had some belt issues.

Old 06-25-2020, 11:51 AM   #4251
DocRecon
Muscle Car to Import

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FR-S
Damn, reading all these posts scares me a bit with the Kraftwerks kit. I was contemplating buying one instead of the Jackson kit but now I don't know. I've been a muscle car owner all my life and am relatively new to the import scene. I had a Vortech in my Mach1 but would like to go a different route with this car.

I'm assuming by the negative posts to go with Jackson??? I only drive this car on the street as a DD and want to bring the car to where it should've been from the factory--no track--no drift--just highway and back roads, so that's where my confusion about which kit to get comes from when hearing from you track guys.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
DocRecon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:28 AM   #4252
Mykii
Noodleking

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Just wondering, on a c38, do I have to have injectors with the high boost pulley, or can I tune down a bit?
Mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 04:58 AM   #4253
Brz866

Drives: Series Blue WRB JRSC C38 HBP Flex
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRecon View Post
Damn, reading all these posts scares me a bit with the Kraftwerks kit. I was contemplating buying one instead of the Jackson kit but now I don't know. I've been a muscle car owner all my life and am relatively new to the import scene. I had a Vortech in my Mach1 but would like to go a different route with this car.

I'm assuming by the negative posts to go with Jackson??? I only drive this car on the street as a DD and want to bring the car to where it should've been from the factory--no track--no drift--just highway and back roads, so that's where my confusion about which kit to get comes from when hearing from you track guys.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Centrifugal kits are great for reliability and DD'ing as I'm sure you've noticed. That being said I bought the JRSC C38 used with 10k and haven't had a problem. Installed JR oil cooler never had a problem with heat. Also never had to worry about snapped belts that rarely ever happens on JRSC. Just my 2 cents.
Brz866 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brz866 For This Useful Post:
DocRecon (07-02-2020)
Old 07-01-2020, 05:14 PM   #4254
Mykii
Noodleking

Drives: 2013 Firestorm FRS
Question TLDR; Need a belt, saw Grams Belts makes belts, anyone know which one is for the 30mm

Supercharger bolts backed out after the install of my Track Pack... This happens to be the second time it's happened. Found out the threads are stripped-and I know that I had torqued down to 10ft/lb per screw, so I figure that the previous owner ughalugged it or something. I repaired the threads with Time-Serts, hoping that it'll hold and get it back to factory strength. and it seems pretty good now that its mounted with new screws, two of which just look a bit different, strangely enough.

The pulley bounced around and got lodged against the A/C compressor pulley and left me stranded. So it's got some wear and shavings all over. I did purchase the high boost pulley, since thats the only part that's available as a replacement part on the website and was tempted to put that in and mount it, but I don't really know if I need injectors and a fuel pump to run that on an otherwise stock motor.

The first time, the belt was good. This time, the belt ended up getting stretched hardcore.

So with that, I need a replacement 30mm belt-- any idea on the specs or a part number from Gates? I saw the first post with the 20mm, and then someone posted a 30mm link from eBay with a TP1280, and I think the first one was a 20mm TP1200... but I'm not sure how the original pulleys are compared to the 2nd version and then the Track pack. My 20mm kit pulleys seems to be the same size as the 30 mm kit, but skinnier-- and if my kit is not the original version, then I'm thinking that a TP1200 30mm would be the one to use.... right?

Any thoughts or insight?
Attached Images

Mykii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:29 AM   #4255
projek_01

I was also considering the 30mm kit bit I ended up staying with my 20mm setup.

If no one knows the correct size for the 30mm setup, you can also count the teeth. It's not the quickest way but you will know for sure you have the right one. They aren't exactly cheap to realize you have the wrong size.
Old 07-21-2020, 01:29 AM   #4256
projek_01

@Mykii
I counted my belt on my 20mm kit with the 95mm pulley and its definitely 160 teeth x 8mm and it equals 1280. Shoot, I just ordered the TP1200 thinking it was the right one. I'm so bummed because thats $100 down the drain.

@digital_assassin
Do you mind changing your post?
The belt for the common 95mm SC pulley and 128mm crank pulley combo is TP1280. I guess the wording confused me because I thought the "updated pulleys" meant the track pack. Not blaming you, just want to make it clear for other owners. Thanks!