follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #211
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Interesting connection between The Dark Knight Rises and The Fast and the Furious. One thing they both share is charisma, I think. They both also have bald dudes that are supposed to appear bigger than their actual size. Coincidence?

Looking over what to expect from the next F&F, I'm most anxious about this:

Quote:
Joe Taslim as Jah: A cold blooded killer who fights using martial arts and parkour.
Quote:
Taslim will play the villainous Jah, a cold-blooded killer who uses his martial arts and parkour skills to fight the film's protagonists.
and also:

Quote:
Gina Carano portrays a member of Hobbs' team.
Reminds me of Live Free or Die Hard where McClane was all, "Sit still you little hamster!" while shooting at the parkour guy. haha
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:38 PM   #212
eikond
Wish Nissan made one

Drives: '13 WRB BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeezNuuuts83 View Post

Oddly, despite the success of the later movies (with the fifth one typically considered as the "best" in the series), there's something about the first movie that was never captured again, as cheesy as it was. It just had a certain feel about it that makes me want to watch it over and over again.

You are exactly right! The certain feel you are touching on is the "scene" or "culture" centered around the passion for owning and modifying cars. People assume it was about street racing, but that's not really it. The street racing just happened to be an activity that the car culture of that time participated in. Clearly nobody endorses that nowadays. But what made the first movie so great was the culture. The idea of owning and modifying and personalizing your car. Inclusion into the group whether you had a $500 or $50,000 car. The cars were co-stars in the first movie. They were relegated to tools in second and third movie (exception of when they built the mustang with the RB26 in Tokyo Drift). The 4th and 5th went to exotics as eye candy and chase scenes.. They lost the magic!

That's not to say I don't still enjoy the movies.. they certainly have more exciting plots, star power, special effects, etc.. But the magic of the original movie is gone.
eikond is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to eikond For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (01-09-2013)
Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 PM   #213
Dorb

Drives: 16 LM STI/13 LM BRZ/04 AVALANCHE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I think I will check out the rest of the series then.
Dorb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:58 PM   #214
Marcoscrdo

Drives: 13' DGM Built FBM BRZ
Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
I heard from movie nerds that theres actually going to be a lot more F&F movies coming out. With the other random characters that we do not really see a lot.
Marcoscrdo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM   #215
DantKR

Drives: Subaru BRZ LT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tokyo Drift was fucking awful. But so was the 2nd one.
DantKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:11 PM   #216
DeeezNuuuts83

Drives: 2006 Evo IX SE
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
Yap, chanomatik (not I) totally mentioned dat breakout Asian Linsane bballer.
Crap, I always seem to mix up their names. Good catch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eikond View Post
The cars were co-stars in the first movie. They were relegated to tools in second and third movie (exception of when they built the mustang with the RB26 in Tokyo Drift). The 4th and 5th went to exotics as eye candy and chase scenes.. They lost the magic!
Perhaps that's part of it. The cars from the first movie are always going to be recognized as such, which isn't necessarily the case for the later movie cars. For example, if my girlfriend saw the orange Supra, she'd think of the movie car. But if she saw the Evo IX (with the Evo VIII front bumper) from Tokyo drift or the Chevelle from the fourth movie, she wouldn't say, "Hey, there's the car from Fast and Furious [insert installment number]."

But it's hard to expect the cars to be that recognizable now, since a lot of what made the original cars so recognizable was their crazy appearances, from the body kits (which have gone a bit out of style) and the colorful paintjobs with unique graphics on the side (which have also gone out of style and aren't even seen that often at import shows), things we don't really see now. Though again, the cars aren't really even "co-stars" anymore, since the cars now seem to be used only in a scene or two, then switched with something else, without much focus on the car's features or why that specific car is being used, aside from Dom's affinity for his dad's Charger (and the newer Chargers having been jacked from the police station in the fifth film).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoscrdo View Post
I heard from movie nerds that theres actually going to be a lot more F&F movies coming out. With the other random characters that we do not really see a lot.
They are working on the sixth one as we speak, though before it was filmed, there was talk of a sixth and seventh one being worked on back-to-back. But unless the sixth one bombs, it definitely won't be the end of the story.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DantKR View Post
Tokyo Drift was fucking awful.
It was, if you expected movie stars headlining it, as a big criticism was that the main characters from the previous movies didn't really have anything to do with it... which is why people like the fourth and fifth movies even though they don't really involve the tuner scene anymore. I guarantee that if the movie were exactly the same but with Paul Walker still being the lead (with the storyline adjusted to fit his character since he's not a teenager) or something else like that, there would have been fewer criticisms of it. But like I said, not everyone was into the movie focusing around drifting (still not exactly a huge draw within motorsports) and being set in Asia without a strong American actor as an anchor. Plus the country boy didn't make it any better, nor did the storyline centered around high school kids and all of their BS.
DeeezNuuuts83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:39 AM   #217
ScoobyBlue
Connoisseur

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited WR Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee358 View Post
Toreto probably cant fit in it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I doubt it too, even though Diesel is only 6'1 he's built like a tank. Walker however is the same height but has a slimmer frame so he could fit in it.
ScoobyBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:12 AM   #218
DIG1992

Drives: 2002 Acura TL
here our beautiful brz from F&F 6 along with others
http://prptvs.blogspot.com/2013/01/t...l#.UPPaCG8qboI
Attached Images

DIG1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DIG1992 For This Useful Post:
chanomatik (01-15-2013), frsguy707 (01-14-2013), Gixxersixxerman (01-14-2013), M-17 (01-14-2013)
Old 01-14-2013, 06:30 AM   #219
Gixxersixxerman

Drives: Toyota GT86, 66 beetle, 11 GSXR 750
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
It might be me, but I don't remember any "ricey" cars in the last two films... None that stick out in my mind at least
Gixxersixxerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #220
Frostyman

Drives: 2013 Raven FRS
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
YESSSSSSS!! Widebody Challenger!
Frostyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #221
DeeezNuuuts83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyBlue View Post
I doubt it too, even though Diesel is only 6'1 he's built like a tank. Walker however is the same height but has a slimmer frame so he could fit in it.
Vin Diesel isn't 6'1" at all (though they do what they can to make him appear taller, especially next to Paul Walker who is more like 6'3"). He was standing on a platform when he was face-to-face with The Rock in Fast Five (which you can't see in the movie itself but you can see it in some of the behind-the-scenes footage).
Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 PM   #222
ScoobyBlue
Connoisseur

Quote:
Vin Diesel isn't 6'1" at all (though they do what they can to make him appear taller, especially next to Paul Walker who is more like 6'3"). He was standing on a platform when he was face-to-face with The Rock in Fast Five (which you can't see in the movie itself but you can see it in some of the behind-the-scenes footage).
If not 6'1 then what is he?
Old 01-14-2013, 11:03 PM   #223
DeeezNuuuts83

He's more like 5'11" but he claims 6'. Again, he often wears thick-heeled boots.
Old 01-14-2013, 11:14 PM   #224
ScoobyBlue
Connoisseur

Quote:
He's more like 5'11" but he claims 6'. Again, he often wears thick-heeled boots.
He might be able to fit in it, I'm not slender myself and I fit in my BRZ without difficulty. My only thing is I have to get used to this car being low, I'm used to driving four door cars that sit a little higher.