follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 11-20-2014, 06:12 AM   #85
brianhj

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1SS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfAndSand View Post
Having driven all 3 model year Miatas, an S2000, and the FRS - the Miatas are "easier" to drive IMO;
I'm curious, how so? I've never driven a miata
brianhj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:42 AM   #86
jdcorbitt3

Drives: 2013 red FR-S, OFT. 2000 Miata SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I have an NB Miata, an FRS and drive my son-In-law's NC Miata. 6'4" will be uncomfortable in a NB. I do think the build quality is better on the Miatas. The PRHT Makes the NC the best of both worlds, a convertible and a hard top. The 6 speed transmisions are both Asins. You will get comfortable driving either one in a few weeks. I have been driving and racing Mazdas (RX-7s, 8 and MX a-5s) since 1985. That being said, I went across the street and traded in my Boxster on the FRS. I Love the FRS handeling and interior size. I am glad I bought it over the NC. When the ND comes out, that may change, but I am waiting for the 1.6 L RX-7 to come out.

John
Old 11-20-2014, 10:42 AM   #87
babydriver
Hit the road and I'm gone

Drives: 2015 FR-S Burnt Orange (Hot Lava)
Thanked 1,786 Times in 973 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I test drove a 2015 Miata MX-5 and found it to be underpowered compared to the FR-S. This makes sense, since the FR-S has a higher power-to-weight ratio.

It is also a problem if you are tall to get in and out. Handles well, and the convertible aspect is fun. BUT, my head stuck out of the passenger compartment so that the top of my head was above the windshield. Not good in a crash, IMO.
Old 11-20-2014, 03:13 PM   #88
SurfAndSand
8SiX

Drives: FRS 10series
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianhj View Post
I'm curious, how so? I've never driven a miata
Physical size and seating position - easier to place in a corner. It feels like you're on the car and can see and feel all 4 corners. In the s2000 and FRS, you feel like you're more inside the car. Not worse, just different for ME. If you're 6'4" like the OP, then the Miata has less leg and head room - especially NB and NC1. The NA and NC2 feel like they have a bit more room. A bit - like an inch, if that.

Clutch engagement - Miata felt easier to modulate. Could be just my cars, and it's just my preferences.

Both are stupid easy to catch in a slide and both are rewarding and crazy fun to drive. Cannot go wrong with either car.
SurfAndSand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:33 AM   #89
ohnoitsthefuzz

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6 Speed Raven Black
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
As a person who drives both cars very frequently and has driven nothing but manual transmissions, I say the FR-S. I have a 13 FRS and my father has a 13 MX-5 Club with the PRHT. I absolutley love the Miata. I used to be the I would never be seen in a Miata guy at your age. Now, I love them. They are probably one of the purest affordable sports cars made even more than the twins. (Lets be honest guys, from the factory, an NC MX-5 performs much better in the twisties than the twins)

With that in mind, the FR-S/BRZ are much easier to live with as a daily. I will take the MX out for a few days, and when I finally climb back into my car it almost feels like I got some creature comforts back. As for noise on the hard top that people have mentioned, it is noisy but not bad, certainly not worse that the soft top and the thing is damn quick to retract and put back up! The thing in completely stock form loves to rev! The powerband is silky smooth and for what it is the car is quick. Besides if you're going for speed, neither car is for you unless you have asome extra cheddar to throw around. Stock, I actually felt like the MX had better top end punch than my FR-S. Not anymore of course

The 2016 ND looks to be very promising but it's going back to its NA roots. It's downsizing. Not by much but in a car with as little to give as it already has, might make practicalitly suffer a little more.

If you want to mod, the FR-S has a better base. It's going to take a while for the ND to get going, and even the NC is slowly building still. The difference between both cars IMO, do you want to hoon around from the factory and have some more practicality? If so go for the FR-S and build to your taste. Or would you like a car that is more of a nuetral and razor sharp drivers car? Then go for the Miata. Honeslty, neither will disappoint.
ohnoitsthefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ohnoitsthefuzz For This Useful Post:
Atropine (01-29-2015), SurfAndSand (11-23-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 09:00 AM   #90
Levi

Drives: Toyota
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Not comparable cars, Miata is a roadster, Twins are coupes.

That is like comparing Miata to Golf.
Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:21 AM   #91
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post

We get that you don't like convertibles. That doesn't mean the cars aren't to be compared. The are probably the most similar for internet comparisons sake being the only traditional sports cars under $30k.
Atropine (11-30-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #92
ohnoitsthefuzz

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS 6 Speed Raven Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post

You like to go off on this roadster vs. coupe debate. Also you said that the Miata is not a sports car because its not offered in a coupe.

They are not that different. Both front engine, 4 cylinder, 6 speed gearbox, rear wheel drive, two door. Almost 2 seater considering the only people who fit in the back of a twin are bilateral amputees. FRS 53/47 weight distribution. Miata 50/50 (with driver) Only difference is the Miata isn't offered in a "coupe" version.
ohnoitsthefuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #93
Vracer111

Drives: '13 Nissan Frontier (4.0L 6spd 2WD)
Thanked 1,245 Times in 669 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnoitsthefuzz View Post
As a person who drives both cars very frequently and has driven nothing but manual transmissions, I say the FR-S. I have a 13 FRS and my father has a 13 MX-5 Club with the PRHT. I absolutley love the Miata. I used to be the I would never be seen in a Miata guy at your age. Now, I love them. They are probably one of the purest affordable sports cars made even more than the twins. (Lets be honest guys, from the factory, an NC MX-5 performs much better in the twisties than the twins)

With that in mind, the FR-S/BRZ are much easier to live with as a daily. I will take the MX out for a few days, and when I finally climb back into my car it almost feels like I got some creature comforts back. As for noise on the hard top that people have mentioned, it is noisy but not bad, certainly not worse that the soft top and the thing is damn quick to retract and put back up! The thing in completely stock form loves to rev! The powerband is silky smooth and for what it is the car is quick. Besides if you're going for speed, neither car is for you unless you have asome extra cheddar to throw around. Stock, I actually felt like the MX had better top end punch than my FR-S. Not anymore of course

The 2016 ND looks to be very promising but it's going back to its NA roots. It's downsizing. Not by much but in a car with as little to give as it already has, might make practicalitly suffer a little more.

If you want to mod, the FR-S has a better base. It's going to take a while for the ND to get going, and even the NC is slowly building still. The difference between both cars IMO, do you want to hoon around from the factory and have some more practicality? If so go for the FR-S and build to your taste. Or would you like a car that is more of a nuetral and razor sharp drivers car? Then go for the Miata. Honeslty, neither will disappoint.
Um, a stock NC miata is a less sharp and precise sportscar than a stock Twin (comparitively); if you want the quicker rotating and sharper in reflexes sportscar you go with the FR-S - not the softer suspensioned and duller in responsiveness (comparitively) NC miata. Both are about the same in neutral handling, but you have to work the miata more (because it is a less sensitive chassis). FRS allows for more finesse and more delicate inputs.
Jond63 (11-23-2014)
Old 11-22-2014, 05:25 PM   #94
Sideways&Smiling

Drives: AP2 S2000, S14 240sx
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
Um, a stock NC miata is a less sharp and precise sportscar than a stock Twin (comparitively); if you want the quicker rotating and sharper in reflexes sportscar you go with the FR-S - not the softer suspensioned and duller in responsiveness (comparitively) NC miata. Both are about the same in neutral handling, but you have to work the miata more (because it is a less sensitive chassis). FRS allows for more finesse and more delicate inputs.
The Miata also has a much shorter wheelbase and double wishbone suspension... not to mention being physically smaller, lending itself to being easier to place, in general...
Sideways&Smiling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 05:43 PM   #95
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hmong337 View Post
Two-seater, girly, and ewww convertible. The FRS obviously wins. You're also asking the ft86 community so...

Yea, not a fan of the Miata (I know almost blasphemy for a good portion of those on this site).

@Pegasus if you have guy friends that will be riding with you, this from Top Gear UK pretty much sums it up for me.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaskOQMl1Pk"]Top Gear's take on two guys in a convertible two seater - YouTube[/ame]

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".

Last edited by Dadhawk; 11-22-2014 at 06:05 PM.
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
chaoskaze (01-18-2015)
Old 11-22-2014, 11:37 PM   #96
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vracer111 View Post
Yeah I agree with this. I've spent a good amount of time on backroads in a stock NC Miata and it's softer and less sharp than the Twins, for better or worse. Both have similar levels of front-end bite, so I don't really see the double-wishbones making any real difference.

The Miata does feel a bit smaller though.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 12:51 AM   #97
fatoni

Drives: miata, mazdaspeed protege, ls430
Thanked 1,442 Times in 787 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSunrise View Post
Yeah I agree with this. I've spent a good amount of time on backroads in a stock NC Miata and it's softer and less sharp than the Twins, for better or worse. Both have similar levels of front-end bite, so I don't really see the double-wishbones making any real difference.

The Miata does feel a bit smaller though.
i think this is the point he was trying to make only with more words. my brz is more sharp than even my modified na miata. i think the miatas do have a sportier engine, slightly more communicative at-limit communication, and better visibility. those things make the car more compelling to drive. my stock brz is probably faster than my miata despite all the mods and such while being way more reasonable on a daily basis and provides almost as much dedication the the act of driving.

it seems that what people say they want and what they actually want are two different things. the miata is what most everyone describes and the brz is what people are actually buying. it follows the current scheme of things with the bigger, more powerful everything type deal.
Old 11-23-2014, 08:18 AM   #98
DarkSunrise

Drives: 22 BRZ (Previously 13 FR-S)
Thanked 4,242 Times in 2,220 Posts
Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatoni View Post
i think this is the point he was trying to make only with more words. my brz is more sharp than even my modified na miata. i think the miatas do have a sportier engine, slightly more communicative at-limit communication, and better visibility. those things make the car more compelling to drive. my stock brz is probably faster than my miata despite all the mods and such while being way more reasonable on a daily basis and provides almost as much dedication the the act of driving.

it seems that what people say they want and what they actually want are two different things. the miata is what most everyone describes and the brz is what people are actually buying. it follows the current scheme of things with the bigger, more powerful everything type deal.
I think the Miata's biggest downfall is it was never offered as a coupe in the US. I'd guess the reason people are buying the Twins instead of the current NC is because of practicality (and possibly looks). Both cars have an interesting balance of upsides and downsides, but I know a lot of people eliminate the Miata outright from consideration because it's a two-seat "feminine-looking" roadster.

2022 BRZ Build
2013 FR-S Build
DarkSunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkSunrise For This Useful Post:
Levi (11-23-2014)