follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-19-2017, 01:43 PM   #15
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
Hello tukai , congratulations on your new car and welcome to the forum ......

I see ol @dnieves addressed your question.

I reckon the maker of these cars figured that the owners would be good looking and have above average intelligence (because they made this choice of this car to buy) so they could estimate the miles to empty from looking at the fuel gauge ......

I remember back-in-the-day I had an old VW bug that would let you know that you were getting low on fuel when the engine stopped running ...... until you reached down and flipped the lever to open up the reserve tank.

Now, we have "miles to empty" indicators; lights that come on; gongs that go off ........ for those drivers that are so distracted and/or impaired that they don't notice the fuel gauge ......

humfrz

I remember the beetle thing. The lever was on the centre between the driver and the passengers feet?
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 01:45 PM   #16
Scrappydoo

Drives: Grrrr
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
My low fuel light comes on about once a week. I also fill up about twice a week though.
Once every two days for me. Too often to worry about it.

Still only 21days to go
Scrappydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:51 PM   #17
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappydoo View Post
I remember the beetle thing. The lever was on the centre between the driver and the passengers feet?
Yep, you recall proper. If the lever was "up" and you turned it to the right, it would allow another gallon of gas to be used when the engine started to sputter. Now, one had to remember to turn the handle back to the UP position when filling the tank ...... daaaaaaa!

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 02:55 PM   #18
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnieves View Post
I kind of remember the gas shortage on the news and they did odd/even days based on your license plate. Not a good time to own an American gas guzzling boats -hence the ascension of the compact Japanese automobile . Go figure something that's fuel efficient and doesn't need repairs every month (even though they were small and prone to rust).

BTW- my coworker said households got around the odd/even restriction by swapping plates.
Yep, I sorta got around it by using my 1956 Ford PU truck (that I very seldom drove) as a nurse tank ...... and siphon out if it as needed.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:02 PM   #19
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc View Post
Isn't it more like all the water I drink comes out of a pitcher with boogers in it, and i'm getting booger water whether I fill my cup or not?

And also i'm stirring it before hand and drinking it with a straw?
LOL.. Yeah, but wouldn't you rather stir a single booger in 10 gallons of water before sipping than in a cup of water? Chances are a LOT better you'll be sampling booger from the one-cup serving.

A quick google search about the inadvisability of letting your tank get real low yielded the following..

http://www.clark.com/low-gas-tank-can-be-costly
http://www.bankrate.com/auto/dispell...sky-car-myths/

Both mention the issue of gas being used a cooling medium for in-tank fuel pumps and possible fuel pump damage. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know if our cars have a second small pump in the tank or not..

http://www.bankrate.com/auto/bad-dri...k-your-wallet/
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-on-empty.html
https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...ur-Fuel-System

That's just the first couple... I could go on all day. I'm sure you could probably google "empty tank damage myth" or something and come up with an equal number of hits.. it's the internet... EVERYONE'S right, and EVERYONE's wrong. You just pick who you think is the rightest, I guess.

I tend towards the conservative side in almost all things, so I figure why take chances just because it MIGHT work out OK.

In my first post on the subject, I said "I don't know if I'm right." I stand firmly by that statement.

Love,

Barry
MuseChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #20
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
LOL.. Yeah, but wouldn't you rather stir a single booger in 10 gallons of water before sipping than in a cup of water? Chances are a LOT better you'll be sampling booger from the one-cup serving.

A quick google search about the inadvisability of letting your tank get real low yielded the following..

http://www.clark.com/low-gas-tank-can-be-costly
http://www.bankrate.com/auto/dispell...sky-car-myths/

Both mention the issue of gas being used a cooling medium for in-tank fuel pumps and possible fuel pump damage. I'm ashamed to admit that I don't know if our cars have a second small pump in the tank or not..

http://www.bankrate.com/auto/bad-dri...k-your-wallet/
http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...-on-empty.html
https://www.bellperformance.com/blog...ur-Fuel-System

That's just the first couple... I could go on all day. I'm sure you could probably google "empty tank damage myth" or something and come up with an equal number of hits.. it's the internet... EVERYONE'S right, and EVERYONE's wrong. You just pick who you think is the rightest, I guess.

I tend towards the conservative side in almost all things, so I figure why take chances just because it MIGHT work out OK.

In my first post on the subject, I said "I don't know if I'm right." I stand firmly by that statement.

Love,

Barry
Now you are talking running out of gas and that is a whole different topic than running low.

Full tank, half tank or half a gallon anything in there needs to come out. Either it gets burnet off or evaporated though combustion or gets captured by the filter. You really are not diluting anything by keeping the tank full all the time. That booger is going to come out at some point and it doesn't matter how much fuel is in there when it does.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:28 PM   #21
BertoFT

Drives: 13 FRS Firestorm
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I normally go 330-350 miles between fillups (2x per week). I'm close to 70,000 miles and haven't noticed any changes in efficiency. I also do oil changes every 8-10k miles. Did the same with my previous car, 2005 Mazda 3, until I got rid of her after 170k miles. Never dropped my average mpg's, never lost any oil either.

Off topic: my Mazda 3i mpg is just 1-2 higher than my FRS (32-33 vs 31-32)

Edit: my daily route to work is 90% hilly highway.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
BertoFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:53 PM   #22
Overdrive
Sittin' Sideways

Drives: 2016 Toyota FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Our cars don't have a "range" function, i.e., miles-til-empty. Not to get preachy, but letting the tank get ultra-low to maximize your savings on fuel because you can save a few cents per gallons is really false economy. Yes, we have fuel filters in our systems, and most gas stations probably have some form of filtration built into their delivery systems too, but it's inevitable that a certain amount of crap builds up in the botton of our tanks. It may not be as big a problem now as it was decades ago, but no matter how you slice it, the last gallon of fuel in your tank is always dirtier than the previous gallons because the concentration of dirt is higher.

In all my cars, I treat 1/4 tank as "empty," especially when I'm on the road and am not sure where the next reputable gas station is.

You can save an extra 50 cents on a fillup by running the tank very low, or you can take an extra measure to protect your fuel system by filling up before the dirt-to-gas ratio gets uncomfortable in your tank. Your call.

I'm not saying I'm right.. that's just my thoughts.

Enjoy your car!

Barry
While I do subscribe to this school of thought overall, I think early on in the car's life when it hasn't quite gone through a few hundred tanks of gasoline it isn't really going to be an issue or cause any damage. That said, maintaining that pushing-the-envelope practice long-term is sure to make it a valid concern.
The Following User Says Thank You to Overdrive For This Useful Post:
MuseChaser (03-19-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 12:21 AM   #23
nos145
Cognite

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
470-530km with winters in winter.
540-580km with stock summers in summer.
stock everything.
automatic tranny.

i drive like a grandma. actually, i put it in snow mode most of the time in summer because i enjoy the drive much more.
nos145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:45 AM   #24
FR-Sky

Drives: 2013 FR-S 10 series [755]
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
When the light comes on, I think you have about 1.5 gallon left.
But I think you should fill your car when 1/5 left becus it is bad for your fuel pump if you drive low on gas.
FR-Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:52 AM   #25
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,471 Times in 3,207 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Looks like the 2017 Limited BRZ does have a drive range 'estimate' on the Drive information screen, but you probably have the classic monochrome display, which probably doesn't have it.
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 07:30 AM   #26
Wondark
Driver

Drives: MY17 CWP BRZ Limited w/PP
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
True story.

There was this little old lady I knew who would top off the tank every time she went for a drive. Goes to the grocery, fast food, visit family, and always filled the tank. She had issues starting the car one time and took it to the mechanic. The fuel tank was nearly full of water and debris. There are lot's of reasons I could think these happened to the little old lady but my thoughts are this.

Would this have happened by running the fuel/water/debris mixture till it was low (or near empty)?

and

What is a fuel filter for?

I think water and debris of some sort is going to get in there anyway. Postponing when it gets in your fuel mixture by not letting the tank get low doesn't seem like a fix for it.
Wondark is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wondark For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-27-2017), Tcoat (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 08:33 AM   #27
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now you are talking running out of gas and that is a whole different topic than running low.

Full tank, half tank or half a gallon anything in there needs to come out. Either it gets burnet off or evaporated though combustion or gets captured by the filter. You really are not diluting anything by keeping the tank full all the time. That booger is going to come out at some point and it doesn't matter how much fuel is in there when it does.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondark View Post
True story.

There was this little old lady I knew who would top off the tank every time she went for a drive. Goes to the grocery, fast food, visit family, and always filled the tank. She had issues starting the car one time and took it to the mechanic. The fuel tank was nearly full of water and debris. There are lot's of reasons I could think these happened to the little old lady but my thoughts are this.

Would this have happened by running the fuel/water/debris mixture till it was low (or near empty)?

and

What is a fuel filter for?

I think water and debris of some sort is going to get in there anyway. Postponing when it gets in your fuel mixture by not letting the tank get low doesn't seem like a fix for it.

Old 03-27-2017, 08:59 AM   #28
8RZ
The Gunshine State

Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,163 Times in 587 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Gasoline is a solvent and cleaning agent. I remember a shop I worked at opened up the tank of a 70s Buick that had over 300k on the ticker; tank was surprisingly clean on the inside still.

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote