follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2013, 12:34 AM   #1
Nikuku
Butch Queen

Drives: '13 Firestorm 6MT Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Nikuku
My review of the OEM Audio + System (no pics)

(I didn't take pics because I did the installation myself in a cramped garage with no lighting near sun down, lol, and there's a great installation video on YouTube.)

OK, I'm sure this has been done before, but I'm a forum noob and have never found the search function.

OK! OEM Audio + review time.

Price: 1,199$+tax/shipping

Shipping time: FAST from FRS86.com. I literally got the email with my tracking information about half an hour before it showed up at my office, and it had been sent out maybe 2 days prior.

Installation time: 4 solid hours, with one person in a VERY cramped single car garage. We're talking, I can't even open my door all the way open cramped. Also, keep in mind, this was my first major installation of anything, and understandably I was a bit nervous ripping apart panels from my car. I followed the installation video on YouTube and found it to be very thorough, aside from maybe one or two spots I had to reference the included instruction manual. Everything went back into place a LOT easier than I expected as well, which is nice.

Tools required: 10mm/12mm socket clicky wrench (I used a 3/8 driver), panel remover tool, heat gun, lubricant (WD40 is fine), pliers or a crimper tool thing, silicone sealant, and an allen wrench thing that is already included. (I think that's the complete list..)

What's included: 2 new tweeters, the sub and amp/DSP thing enclosure, some cable ties, a long ass wiring harness thing and some fuse things for the thing that connects to the battery.

REVIEW:

Likes: "Fuller" sound, BASS (duh), tweeter upgrade, ease of installation, complete system

Dislikes: Price, the feel of the sub enclosure (it's almost worth the extra money to get it color matched, because the stock enclosure feels like shit)

HUGE improvement over stock. Even with being only a tweeter replacement, and a single 8" sub, I found the bass to be MORE than sufficient. As a matter of fact, I keep it on -2 99% of the time. Since the sub has it's own power source, the stock speakers aren't troubled by trying to produce all the other bass and are free to produce a lot of the midrange frequencies they struggled with before. Also, since the sub isn't obnoxious, it blends fairly well with the system. I mean, that you can't really tell where it's coming from, which is nice. It also sounds a LOT louder in the car, than outside- like, no panel rattles or obnoxiousness. The tweeters alone are almost worth the upgrade. As I'm sure you all know, the stock ones are complete trash. They screech and hurt at any voice higher than Al Green's, and absolutely murder any live instruments like piano or violin. The new ones are very clear and I have yet to hear any distortion across multiple genres.

The system as a whole sounds really good. I won't say perfect, because the sound stage is still too forward oriented for my liking, but the "back" speakers are only 4" little guys, so it's to understandable. It IS, however, a MUCH fuller sound than stock. One thing I've also noticed, I'm not sure why/how, but my car seems quieter overall. I'm listening to the same songs I'd listen to at the same volume as before, and I've experienced a significant perceived reduction in road noise. Maybe it's because there's more of that midrange sound to block out the road noise? I'm not sure, but it feels/sounds a lot quieter!

This system is great for people like me who don't want to fuss with custom enclosures, and the mixing and matching of products, amps, and what not. It really is just plug and play, and is a great upgrade. I can't speak for the money, because I believe you're also paying a little for the convenience of it all. I'm sure there are ways to get it for cheaper. Also, according to a response to my comment on YouTube, OEMA+ is supposedly releasing a complete speaker upgrade at some point in time, and I'm sure it'll sound even better. Any questions, let me know! :happy0180:

#Vegas86
Vegas86 Group Page on Facebook
'13 Firestorm FR-S MT "Ms. Banks"
Twitter/Instagram: Nikuku
Nikuku is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nikuku For This Useful Post:
Gixxersixxerman (04-22-2013), tripjammer (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 12:51 AM   #2
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I had mine installed on my car that I am picking up on Thursday. I wanted the dealer to do it so I could have a good warranty. Went to listen to it yesterday and holy shit, so much better than stock. Just a full sound throughout the car. If I could suggest something, it would be to choose the tC sound option, and "Feel." After messing around with the settings for awhile, those two sounded the best together. I don't think the sub enclosure is ugly, but it isn't anything special. I would worry too much about scratching the color-matched one because of stuff in the trunk. Congrats on your purchase and installation!
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to husker741 For This Useful Post:
Nikuku (04-23-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 01:03 AM   #3
Isometric Bacon

Drives: GTS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the review!

I'm curious about these OEM Audio Plus systems. I understand they're designed specifically for the FRS to compliment the stock system. I like this idea.

Here in Australia I have the 86 GTS - is anyone aware of a significant difference in the sound system between the FRS and the Aussie delivered 86's? We have a different navigation/head unit (very similar to the US BRZ, as far as I understand) but are the speakers/setup the same?

Wouldn't mind getting something like one of these for my car.
Isometric Bacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 01:05 AM   #4
husker741
Banned

Drives: 2013 Whiteout Scion FR-S 6MT
Thanked 4,183 Times in 1,415 Posts
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isometric Bacon View Post
Thanks for the review!

I'm curious about these OEM Audio Plus systems. I understand they're designed specifically for the FRS to compliment the stock system. I like this idea.

Here in Australia I have the 86 GTS - is anyone aware of a significant difference in the sound system between the FRS and the Aussie delivered 86's? We have a different navigation/head unit (very similar to the US BRZ, as far as I understand) but are the speakers/setup the same?

Wouldn't mind getting something like one of these for my car.
I would recommend going to their website and emailing them. They responded to me in 5 minutes and have had the best customer service on the forums, aside from FT86Speedfactory. Daniel from OEM Audio will let you know what you need.
husker741 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:27 AM   #5
xjohnx
Grip>Slip

Drives: 13 SWP BRZ Ltd - Innovate Powered!
Thanked 1,716 Times in 1,031 Posts
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by husker741 View Post
I would recommend going to their website and emailing them. They responded to me in 5 minutes and have had the best customer service on the forums, aside from FT86Speedfactory. Daniel from OEM Audio will let you know what you need.
What he said. Daniel has been amazingly responsive to all of my pre and post purchase questions. Can't recommend them highly enough. Autocrossed yesterday for the first time since installing it. It literally took 2 minutes to remove the sub from the trunk.
xjohnx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xjohnx For This Useful Post:
tripjammer (04-22-2013)
Old 04-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
I keep going back to this setup....I am just waiting for the reference version to come out.
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 11:49 PM   #7
Nikuku
Butch Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
I keep going back to this setup....I am just waiting for the reference version to come out.
Same! I can't wait for a full speaker replacement with hopefully another amp. Something to beef up the speakers in the back would be great

#Vegas86
Old 04-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
Nikuku
Butch Queen

Quote:
I had mine installed on my car that I am picking up on Thursday. I wanted the dealer to do it so I could have a good warranty. Went to listen to it yesterday and holy shit, so much better than stock. Just a full sound throughout the car. If I could suggest something, it would be to choose the tC sound option, and "Feel." After messing around with the settings for awhile, those two sounded the best together. I don't think the sub enclosure is ugly, but it isn't anything special. I would worry too much about scratching the color-matched one because of stuff in the trunk. Congrats on your purchase and installation!
I've been trying the tC mode with "natural".. I haven't quite found a set up that I like 100%, so I keep going back and forth between them!

I had definitely considered going to the dealer for the installation, but I spent all my money on the system LOL Congrats on yours as well! Cheers to better sound, lol :happy0180:

#Vegas86
Old 04-25-2013, 04:48 AM   #9
Nikuku
Butch Queen

Quote:
EDIT: I set it to FEEL instead of NATURAL, and it's PERFECT now!

#Vegas86

Tags
audio, install, oem, review