follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Member's Car Journals

Member's Car Journals Car journals by our members.

User Tag List

Old 11-13-2012, 01:32 AM   #29
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Here are Pictures of the 1986 MR2 that the man was selling:

I was going to learn stick in it, but we thought it was too preserved to be an outdoor car so someone on MR2 Boards bought it (post #1553)
http://www.mr2.com/forums/mk-1-mr2-a...-mk1s-78.html#

Asking price was $5.5k firm

AND...

The S2000 Low Mileage Club thing...yeah mine won't be as bad as some of these...
For Example:

"2008 CR black with AC/radio all original and stock with only 964 miles."

http://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/8007...ge-s2000-club/

Last edited by Veloist; 11-13-2012 at 01:45 AM.
Veloist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 01:58 AM   #30
njccmd2002
Toyota Freak

Drives: Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)

who cares what he does with the car, its his money. If he wants to drive it 1 mile a year or throw it off the cliff, i dont see the point of criticizing him. I mean, we can point it out, but no sense on beating a dead horse.

although having a mint car in 30 years will be awesome, its not hurting anyone elses pockets, right? I mean, does anyone here pay for his insurance?

for reference http://www.speedhunters.com/2011/08/...time_capsule_/

so, congrats on the car. Im planning on keeping mine stock for a while. Yes i drive it, but not putting 15 miles a year..

enjoy it, and remember, haters will be haters....
Old 11-13-2012, 09:38 AM   #31
Turbowned

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Perf Pack 6MT
Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,150 Posts
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Garage
Just don't drive it too little, is all I'm gonna say. Congrats on the car, and thanks in advance for taking such good care of it. When it's 2032 I hope to see pictures of this car on the internet, looking just as nice as it does now, but with hopefully at least 50k miles on it

Current: 2005 Porsche 911 Carrera S 6MT
Previous: 2 BRZ's, 997 C2S, C5 RS6, C4 S6, B8 S4, GDB STi, S30 240Z, FC3S RX-7 TII, AW11/SW20 MR2, E30 318is/325i, etc.
Turbowned is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Turbowned For This Useful Post:
SupraLove (11-13-2012), Veloist (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 10:40 AM   #32
greatscion

Drives: Scion
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That is a great car. I can understand how hard it is to maintain the favorite car when more than 2 cars in a family.

We our self feel the pain of the car which is waxed clearly and let it go in the rain after detailing. That is a pain. Instead if we have an option of going in other cars in the raining season, we always opt for that.
The Following User Says Thank You to greatscion For This Useful Post:
Veloist (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 AM   #33
DantKR

Drives: Subaru BRZ LT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
You can learn to drive the FR-S with the FR-S... Unless you are a truly horrible driver you won't ruin anything even if you grind the gears a few times.
DantKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:30 PM   #34
SupraLove
Banned

Drives: 2007 Toyota Camry LE, 5AT i4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
@SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR
@dem00n
@SupraLove
@ZmZMWagon

Hey all, none of you are being rude and I understand we all have opinions so I wanted to clear some things up so maybe it's not so meaningless.

Currently my dad is the only one who is driving stick shift in the family and I am in the process of learning. He doesn't want me on the insurance yet since I don't drive stick....plus it's expensive so he's waiting 6 months to see it changing. He doesn't want me learning on it since it's hard to replace parts right now.

He also works around 60-72 hours a week and gets home in the night and he is too tired to drive it. He doesn't want it being shown at work and plus cars get pretty dirty there since it's surrounded by trees. He drives it on his day off when it does not rain. He does not use it in the rain because we'd prefer not to use newer cars in the rain. Plus this one is our favorite

When I drive the car, the mileage will shoot up, trust me. I'm not going to drive it to school, but really for fun during my free time or when I have to pick someone up from school or work. I'm going to try to go to the NorCal meets and everything as well. I just made that list of calculations just because I wanted to play around the numbers to see how ridiculously low it's going to be, and I was influenced because I saw a thread on the S2000 forum having to do with Low Mileage S2000's! It's more crazy over there!

I'm also an avid cyclist who does bike races (without drugs) so for 10-12 hours a week (13-15 in the Spring and Summer) I'm training and on weekends I race. That being said, I've already designated cycling as my primary hobby and driving comes second.

So why did we buy this car? It's because we wanted it! We've been waiting too just like I stated in my original post. And we want to keep this car for a long time because we think it's a great part of history for Toyota, and my dad's been with Toyota for 17 years.

I didn't want to say this because of all the criticism, but because it's just a forum I'll say it anyways!

One of my ultimate goal after going to college and getting a secure job is to buy the FR-S from my dad at his asking price. I understand that there will be newer cars but a new car cannot replace the attachment that grows on you while you're growing up. Therefore, when I mention that to my dad he always says stuff like "It will be waiting" and it seems to make him laugh.

I once met a man who was selling a super pristine 1st Gen '86 MR2 with 89k miles who says that he had his own in High School and regretted selling it so he had to buy another one but it still didn't feel the same which is why he ended up selling it.

I don't want to live with a regret like that especially with my favorite car, the FR-S. Sure the drive is a great feeling, but knowing that there's one in your garage that's ready to roll out and take you out on an adventure is good enough for my dad and I, and knowing that someday it will be mine through hard work is even better.
Wow, now I can relate perfectly. My family used to have a '96 Honda Accord that I grew up with. I loved it. Eucalyptus Green Metallic, and it was so unrefined and pure. I was sure it was to be my car in the future. We went on so many road trips with it, and I grew attached to it, until one day, it was destroyed in a tornado. It was totaled and unreparable. The steering rack was broken, the transmission wasn't aligned properly, and all windows were shattered. I still miss it. We bought a Camry, and my dad hated it so he gave it to me (unfortunately ), and we got a new Accord, but the feeling just isn't there. I'm not attached to it like I was the '96, because there's no memories left in the sheetmetal. It's just.. Spark plugs, pistons, wheels and rubber. It's meaningless.

So now I see where you're coming from, and I respect that you take such good care of your vehicles, and how much you care about your family. Thanks for clearing it up, and I applaud you, Veloist. You rock!

SupraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SupraLove For This Useful Post:
Veloist (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:03 PM   #35
BIGCUMBOY

Drives: 2004 Accord (Black)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloist View Post
@SciOnDrifTtSlIdeR
@dem00n
@SupraLove
@ZmZMWagon

Hey all, none of you are being rude and I understand we all have opinions so I wanted to clear some things up so maybe it's not so meaningless.

Currently my dad is the only one who is driving stick shift in the family and I am in the process of learning. He doesn't want me on the insurance yet since I don't drive stick....plus it's expensive so he's waiting 6 months to see it changing. He doesn't want me learning on it since it's hard to replace parts right now.

Respect dude, you got a lot of class and patience in answering those people with criticism with such manner and formality. In the end, it's your family's car, you can put it on top of your house, it's no ones business! It's takes discipline not to drive it and waiting for it.

And it's nice feeling to have a low KM car. It's like having it brand new for the next whatever years. For most people I would think they would sneak it out at night or whenever!

Propz, Cheers!
BIGCUMBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BIGCUMBOY For This Useful Post:
Veloist (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:14 PM   #36
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I guess you have to realize most people here bought to this to drive and not just to have as a trophy. And to me it's just showboating, look my dad got that car I don't really need and don't want to drive in the rain... because I want my children to enjoy the car also just by looking at it in 30 years. For one thing you will enjoy the very small moment you drive it, if that's worth 30 000 $ to you so be it!

Maybe I'm not as materialistic as most but this is just stupid, not driving in the rain...pff

/rant

Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #37
SPEEDGOD
I don't lie.

Drives: AE86 Successor
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottopilot View Post
I guess you have to realize most people here bought to this to drive and not just to have as a trophy. And to me it's just showboating, look my dad got that car I don't really need and don't want to drive in the rain... because I want my children to enjoy the car also just by looking at it in 30 years. For one thing you will enjoy the very small moment you drive it, if that's worth 30 000 $ to you so be it!

Maybe I'm not as materialistic as most but this is just stupid, not driving in the rain...pff

/rant

It's called discipline, by babying it, it'll be better maintained. I bet in 10-20 years if you compare rides, he will have a nicer one then mine. Besides they can afford to do so. If I was in their situation, I will do the same. I will drive the corolla/rav4 or whatever ride in the rain (let the rocks bounce) and enjoy the FR-S/GT86 in nice crisp weather.

Driving in the rain yesterday, I heard so many rock chips, that broke my heart. I wish I still have my corolla lol, I wouldn't give a damn in the rain lol
SPEEDGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SPEEDGOD For This Useful Post:
Veloist (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:35 PM   #38
Rayme
The Answer

Drives: Mazda 2
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDGOD View Post
It's called discipline, by babying it, it'll be better maintained. I bet in 10-20 years if you compare rides, he will have a nicer one then mine. Besides they can afford to do so. If I was in their situation, I will do the same. I will drive the corolla/rav4 or whatever ride in the rain (let the rocks bounce) and enjoy the FR-S/GT86 in nice crisp weather.

Driving in the rain yesterday, I heard so many rock chips, that broke my heart. I wish I still have my corolla lol, I wouldn't give a damn in the rain lol
Ok let me put it this way.

I've owned many nice cars, and the one I have the most at heart was my old 98 civic I just sold last month, it's the one I drove the most and got tons of memories in it and fun facts and stories - this is what bring you to a sentimental level with a car, the experience, the everyday life you have with and the crazy random things that might or might never happen.

Just having that car stored all the time, the only thing you can say is yea it was in my family for 30 years, Joe used it for his prom blah blah. It becomes that hunk of metal that lays there in pristine condition because nobody ever drives it.. but it looks new!

And that's why this story doesn't move me one bit.
Rayme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rayme For This Useful Post:
SupraLove (11-13-2012)
Old 11-13-2012, 02:55 PM   #39
SupraLove
Banned

Drives: 2007 Toyota Camry LE, 5AT i4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottopilot View Post
Ok let me put it this way.

I've owned many nice cars, and the one I have the most at heart was my old 98 civic I just sold last month, it's the one I drove the most and got tons of memories in it and fun facts and stories - this is what bring you to a sentimental level with a car, the experience, the everyday life you have with and the crazy random things that might or might never happen.

Just having that car stored all the time, the only thing you can say is yea it was in my family for 30 years, Joe used it for his prom blah blah. It becomes that hunk of metal that lays there in pristine condition because nobody ever drives it.. but it looks new!

And that's why this story doesn't move me one bit.
I do agree with you that experience causes attachment, but he's not driving the car because he wants to maintain it and keep it for a long time. I don't know why he chooses to drive it SO little as to accumulate only 1,000 miles every year, but it's a fact that cars that aren't driven a lot do last longer.

Different strokes for different folks.
SupraLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #40
Veloist

Drives: ‘93 MR2, ‘22 GR86, ‘23 GR Corolla
Thanked 1,713 Times in 668 Posts
Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupraLove View Post
So now I see where you're coming from, and I respect that you take such good care of your vehicles, and how much you care about your family. Thanks for clearing it up, and I applaud you, Veloist. You rock!

Thank you and I'm glad I was able to clear it up more. Your story with the Accord is touching, and I'm sorry to hear that its life with your family had to end as a result of a natural mishap. It's a unique feeling to be attached to a car because we know it's ridiculous but I think that's what really keeps up attached to it...haha.

Here's more information for people who are still lost:
(if you really feel like reading )

I know there's going to be a lot of affordable high-tech cars 15 years from now, but this what truly has me attached to the FR-S:

Opening Christmas gifts when I was in 4th grade and finding a new PlayStation2 with Gran Turismo 3...this is what truly fueled my enthusiasm in cars. My starter car was the Toyota Trueno GT-Apex because I wanted to start with a Toyota since that's all we ever owned in real life. That happened to be the cheapest Toyota with the most horsepower. Gosh I remember how "ugly" it was because I used to think all old cars were ugly. But I fell in love with it because 1) it was a Toyota and 2) I was winning races (the easy ones ) with an old car!

Then playing Initial D in the arcade during middle school, yes choosing the AE86 again. I asked my dad if he knew what an AE86 was and he didn't (because he doesn't go by the chassis code) but when we saw one while he was driving, I pointed it out to him and he said he drove his friend's one time and it was really cool, but he told me that you won't be able to find a nice one around because it's 25 years old (that time).

Kind of made me wish I grew up in the 1980's so that I could have an original AE86.

Then reading Motor Trend magazines 4 or 5 years ago and seeing that funky silver Toyobaru concept (the hatchback) saying it would revive the AE86. That got me excited! That concept never left my mind. And then after a long wait, the FT-86 Concept came out! And then every week I would google "FT-86" and go to the "Most Recent" settings of the Google Search to see if any news came up. Barely. Just like everyone else, I waited 3 years for the major onslaught of updates for the car. The spy shots, and then the final reveal. I told dad about it, he saw my endless interest in it, which got him interested in it, and then we pulled the trigger.

I felt that this was going to be like the AE86 that I always wanted..so that's why I'm babying it and that's what makes my attachment so strong. In the 1980's, people didn't know that the future generation would drool over AE86's. If it was 1984 and my dad bought us an AE86, I'm pretty sure we would drive the hell out of it. Now I don't know if people will drool over an FR-S in 29 years, but I know that I would. Seeing this car years from now will always remind me of how I got into cars. That being said, If I saw an FR-S/BRZ years away from now on the road, and I didn't have mine, I'd be pretty effing jealous.

Yes, when I learn how to drive stick shift, I will drive this as much as possible! I'm pretty sure it will get more than 1000 miles a year! That list is inaccurate because only my dad drives it. It makes a difference when two people drive it. And my brother and sister will probably drive it too in a couple of years.

So I now I wonder what the legacy of this car is going to be, if kids 15 years from now will value it like how I value the AE86. If I have children, or if my siblings have children, I wonder what they would think of it.

I don't know if another car will ever have such a huge impact on me like the FR-S, so just as of now, my dad and I will baby it In the end it really depends on how you see the car...some as a daily driver, some as weekend warrior, some as a cheap replaceable car; but I will always see it as the car that I fell in love with at the right time when I was growing up!
Veloist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Veloist For This Useful Post:
SupraLove (11-13-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 06:56 PM   #41
IntotheOcean

Drives: Sexy Frs Firestorm M/T
Thanked 1,636 Times in 760 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
More jelly that you have a great dad!
Sweet car!
IntotheOcean is offline   Reply With Quote