follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2019, 07:25 AM   #57
accwai
初級成員

Drives: 2017 86, 2010 Corolla
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
[...] The dealer sold you a car equipped with an illegally altered exhaust system and falsified an emissions report since it can not possibly pass with a cat removed. [...]
Ontario government has a webpage that lets you look up vehicle Drive Clean test history. The OP can see whether his car has ever had a clean test on record, and if so, who did the test and when.

Even with the emission test aside, Ontario regulation says "No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor or motor vehicle that was manufactured with a catalytic converter if the catalytic converter, or any replacement for the catalytic converter, is disconnected, removed or otherwise altered so that it is not capable of performing the function for which the catalytic converter was intended." So strictly speaking, just by selling you a cat deleted car, dealer has already broken the law.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to accwai For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-24-2019), why? (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 07:55 AM   #58
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,284 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by accwai View Post
Ontario government has a webpage that lets you look up vehicle Drive Clean test history. The OP can see whether his car has ever had a clean test on record, and if so, who did the test and when.

Even with the emission test aside, Ontario regulation says "No person shall operate or cause or permit the operation of a motor or motor vehicle that was manufactured with a catalytic converter if the catalytic converter, or any replacement for the catalytic converter, is disconnected, removed or otherwise altered so that it is not capable of performing the function for which the catalytic converter was intended." So strictly speaking, just by selling you a cat deleted car, dealer has already broken the law.
Yep. That is exactly the law I was referring to when I said they sold him an illegal car. I really don't know how much he can do about it now though.
Old 01-24-2019, 08:37 AM   #59
guybo
Huge E85 fan!

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS
Thanked 1,010 Times in 605 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Get it in writing that the car has no cats and is thus illegal to drive. The dealership may not have known even. The car is also tuned, it has to be or it'd have a CEL for having no cats.

Go back to where you bought the car from and work with them to get an OEM exhaust and tune. It looks like you're not into modding, so I assume you won't mind a quieter stock car. Hopefully you won't have to get nasty and threaten to return the car because they sold you an illegal vehicle.

This is why you always should get a PPI, especially if you are clueless about cars. I hope this is the only problem either the car
Old 01-24-2019, 01:53 PM   #60
becausethexo

Drives: Subaru BRZ 2015 Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:

So I just did that and I get these results:

Your vehicle is not eligible for a free test. Please double check your VIN and try re-entering it.
Click here for more information on the eligibility requirements for a free test.
This report was run on Jan 24, 2019 13:50:49 EST On April 1, 2017, Drive Clean eliminated the $30 initial test fee for light-duty vehicles (vehicles with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) less than 4500 kg).
Heavy-duty vehicles (vehicles with a GVWR greater than 4500 kg) do not qualify for a free test and will be required to pay the heavy-duty test fee.
Our emissions test reports and our online vehicle lookup are designed to provide information on free test eligibility for light-duty vehicles only. If you searched for a heavy duty vehicle, the information above may incorrectly indicate that a test should be free. Emissions test reports may similarly incorrectly indicate that a test is free.
A vehicle's GVWR can usually be found on the Statement of Compliance label in the driver's door opening.

No vehicle test history found.

No vehicle repair history found.

So...
Old 01-24-2019, 02:08 PM   #61
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I wouldn't change a damn thing since the guy acted like an ass and didn't come to me in a respectful manner. Don't let bullies get their way.
Will BRZ (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #62
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonpg View Post
I wouldn't change a damn thing since the guy acted like an ass and didn't come to me in a respectful manner. Don't let bullies get their way.
Ya the guy may have presented it badly but it would appear that his complaint is valid. It isn't a matter of anybody "getting their way" and needs to be addressed.
Dadhawk (01-24-2019), daiheadjai (01-24-2019), HachiRokuX (01-30-2019), kch (01-25-2019), MuseChaser (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #63
MuseChaser
Feeling like thinking....

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 2,433 Times in 1,064 Posts
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by olsonpg View Post

Yeah... kind of... or not....

Don't let bullies get their way if they're wrong... of course.

On the other hand, the O.P. was driving a vehicle that was not street legal in terms of the exhaust, and was being very inconsiderate to his neighbors although he seemed to be fairly unintentional about his inconsideration, if that's possible. Yes, his neighbor could definitely have handled it better, but the neighbor could have called the police instead of extending the original poster the courtesy of talking to him face to face about this issue. Personally, I'd rather have someone who is bugged with me tell me to my face. If they're right, then I apologize and try to make things right. That's not giving in to a bully, that's doing the right thing.
daiheadjai (01-24-2019), Dave-ROR (01-24-2019), HachiRokuX (01-30-2019), Tcoat (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 03:30 PM   #64
accwai
初級成員

Quote:
Originally Posted by becausethexo View Post
So I just did that and I get these results:

[...]

No vehicle test history found.

No vehicle repair history found.

So...
The website is supposed to report both pass and failed results. No vehicle test history means it has never failed either. Assuming you put in the correct VIN number, no attempt has been made to run your car through an accredited Drive Clean test facility. Ouch!
Old 01-24-2019, 04:15 PM   #65
Tcoat

Quote:
The website is supposed to report both pass and failed results. No vehicle test history means it has never failed either. Assuming you put in the correct VIN number, no attempt has been made to run your car through an accredited Drive Clean test facility. Ouch!
His was not old enough to need an initial test and they dropped the requirement for resale cars to have a test in 2017 so it will not show up.
Drive Clean test

Used heavy-duty vehicles require a valid Drive Clean test pass when they are sold in order to transfer the ownership if the model year is older than the current year.
As of April 1, 2017, used light-duty vehicles no longer require a Drive Clean test at resale or to transfer a vehicle in Ontario. This includes out of province and out of country vehicles transferred into Ontario.
Before purchasing a used vehicle, buyers are encouraged to check that vehicle's most recent Drive Clean test results on the Drive Clean website. All you need is the vehicle identification number (VIN) to conduct this free search.
Although not required, you can also ask the vehicle seller to perform a Drive Clean emission test and provide you with the results before buying the vehicle to ensure it does not have any emissions problems.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #66
accwai
初級成員

Quote:
His was not old enough to need an initial test and they dropped the requirement for resale cars to have a test in 2017 so it will not show up.
Yes. OP mentioned the purchase agreement says the car has been emission tested. Just pointing out that any emission test was done, wasn't by provincial standard.

Quote:
Although not required, you can also ask the vehicle seller to perform a Drive Clean emission test and provide you with the results before buying the vehicle to ensure it does not have any emissions problems.
The report sheets are available as PDF from the Drive Clean website right? So all the seller needs to do is tell you the test was done and give you the VIN number. Then you can go pick up the report yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to accwai For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:20 PM   #67
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yes. OP mentioned the purchase agreement says the car has been emission tested. Just pointing out that any emission test was done, wasn't by provincial standard.
Depending on the language, that doesn't necessarily mean an emissions test was done. For example, it may say something like, "All required emissions tests have been performed." If it didn't actually require the test, that statement would be true even if no tests were performed.
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:32 PM   #68
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuseChaser View Post
Yeah... kind of... or not....

Don't let bullies get their way if they're wrong... of course.

On the other hand, the O.P. was driving a vehicle that was not street legal in terms of the exhaust, and was being very inconsiderate to his neighbors although he seemed to be fairly unintentional about his inconsideration, if that's possible. Yes, his neighbor could definitely have handled it better, but the neighbor could have called the police instead of extending the original poster the courtesy of talking to him face to face about this issue. Personally, I'd rather have someone who is bugged with me tell me to my face. If they're right, then I apologize and try to make things right. That's not giving in to a bully, that's doing the right thing.
To add that that... he had to have known whether or not his car is THAT loud. Hell, I put the Camaro exhaust to it's stealth mode if I'm leaving super late at night or early in the morning - and it's stock. I'm not a fan of loud exhausts so that's the only car that would ever remotely bother a neighbor. I had a neighbor that had a harley that would leave at 5:30AM, he would wake me up every morning.. (and like the OP I have a train that goes by throughout the night probably 50-60 yards from my window). He admitted it was a concern of his and he changed his habits to fix it.

In far less time than this OP has been p&ssyfooting around in this thread.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave-ROR For This Useful Post:
HachiRokuX (01-30-2019), MuseChaser (01-24-2019)
Old 01-24-2019, 05:55 PM   #69
mrg666
pessimistic skeptic

Drives: '14 FR-S Monogram AT JRSC
Thanked 1,035 Times in 684 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
I have HKS Hi-Power Spec-L catback with stock header and front pipe. It is loud with open throttle but it only purrs below 3000 rpm. I only drive in the neighborhood at 20mph at low rpm and I checked the sound level from street when my wife started the engine in the garage. No complaints so far. That is a happy/happy solution.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:31 PM   #70
olsonpg

Drives: BRZ. R34 GT-T
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Ya the guy may have presented it badly but it would appear that his complaint is valid. It isn't a matter of anybody "getting their way" and needs to be addressed.
Get out of here with all your wisdom and good advice t-coat.
Tcoat (01-24-2019)

Closed Thread