follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Forced Induction

Forced Induction Turbo, Supercharger, Methanol, Nitrous

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 04-15-2014, 12:10 AM   #4327
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac View Post
Interesting, i wonder what causes the difference, take a look at my WOT pull:
http://datazap.me/u/jac/brz-oft-phan...om=11918-11980
I think that looks spot on. Looks just like mine. I am going to grab logs from mine tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:27 AM   #4328
fenton

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Thanked 1,614 Times in 726 Posts
Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
@ Robftss
I can`t be the only one who blinked and missed something.
Can you please summarize the differences between the three levels of dump packs?
The dump pack and half just adds two more batteries that are half the size of the original dump pack. It increases the total dump pack capacity by 50%. It allows the voltage to remain higher under load and as a result will get you between 7 to 10hp additional once conditioned(more psi). This particular option does not require the relocation of the starter battery. Rob will be selling a conversion kit that will allow you to connect the two smaller dump pack batteries to your existing dump pack batteries. For anyone that has already installed the kit this will be a very easy upgrade. The batteries as before will be purchased separately(21$ a piece~).

The next step is to go up to dual dump packs. This option will provide you with 100% more capacity but it does require relocation of the starter battery to the trunk. This is a fairly involved process, however if you know what you are doing isnt to big of a job. That being said, this option will not be for everyone.

Shiv made 217hp/195tq with dual dumps and the TQ250. The great thing about the 1.5 dump pack is it can nearly make the same peak gains as the dual however it will not be able to sustain those gains for as long.
fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fenton For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-15-2014), mid_life_crisis (04-15-2014), robwbright (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 12:32 AM   #4329
shif7i7down
Erected Member

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
I think that looks spot on. Looks just like mine. I am going to grab logs from mine tomorrow.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
if you don't mind me asking , which tune are you guys running? OFT?
anywho, I've said it before but I'll say it again.. it seems like the tune for the ESC is running a bit on the leaner side of the spectrum, with that said.. i really don't see any need to be alarm, it's not like it's overly lean.<-possibly due to different mods compared to what shiv had
shif7i7down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:58 AM   #4330
nlowell

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenton View Post
The dump pack and half just adds two more batteries that are half the size of the original dump pack. It increases the total dump pack capacity by 50%. It allows the voltage to remain higher under load and as a result will get you between 7 to 10hp additional once conditioned(more psi). This particular option does not require the relocation of the starter battery. Rob will be selling a conversion kit that will allow you to connect the two smaller dump pack batteries to your existing dump pack batteries. For anyone that has already installed the kit this will be a very easy upgrade. The batteries as before will be purchased separately(21$ a piece~).

The next step is to go up to dual dump packs. This option will provide you with 100% more capacity but it does require relocation of the starter battery to the trunk. This is a fairly involved process, however if you know what you are doing isnt to big of a job. That being said, this option will not be for everyone.

Shiv made 217hp/195tq with dual dumps and the TQ250. The great thing about the 1.5 dump pack is it can nearly make the same peak gains as the dual however it will not be able to sustain those gains for as long.
Dual dump for me and...is there a quad recharge kit yet?
Old 04-15-2014, 01:22 AM   #4331
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer486 View Post
I would add a vent for the stock battery too, but the Hindenburg was torched due to flammable paint on the skin that ignited from static electricity.

Replacing the stock starter battery is one of the easiest weight reductions you can do in any car. Well worth the price.
the hindenburg was designed to be airtight too, the trunk notsomuch, but noted.

I can agree with the weight reduction, but I'm cheap. and a battery is a consumable. It will wear out eventually, maybe in only 2 or 3 more years, and when it does I can upgrade without spending much more then just replacing the factory one... + I don't track it, and I still have factory tires so I doubt I'll notice the difference anyway. I guess worst case I will just wrap the battery in some 6mil plastic and tape a vent tube in it.
Target70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:57 AM   #4332
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Has anyone done a comparison test with the alternator engaged/disengaged with the electrocharger running? I'm beginning to wonder if the whole thing about parasitic alternator losses is being overblown. It would be interesting to see what the system would do with a high output alternator running full time. These are outtakes from a blog I found. There was a lot of other stuff of no interest to us so I am quoting only what we need.

"I had a 350/350HP that was sitting just ready to be broken in and tuned on the dyno (it pays to have drag racing buddies with dynos...a local pro-stocker to boot) ....and the owner said that I could borrow it for a week or so.....just stay out of his way in the shop (they know me too well there...dang!)."
"let's move on to the alternator test. I simulated a test with a Summit one-wire, 100 ampere alternator and tested it at several RPMS. I loaded the alternator down with what I thought a fair representation of typical application of 65 DC amperes output at 13.65VDC. At 4500RPMs the alternator averaged over the 4 tests a measily 1.28 hp loss. It was really consistent with the high being 1.29 and the low 1.26 over the testing pulls."

So I have to wonder if the power gain from the amperage wouldn't overmatch the losses.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:23 AM   #4333
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
The subject of parasite loss has been debated some where deep in this thread. Keep in mind, while at WOT, the alternator (and the a/c) is switched off. So there isn't any loss while the ESC is engaged.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:47 AM   #4334
mid_life_crisis

Drives: FR-S 10 #103 AT
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
The subject of parasite loss has been debated some where deep in this thread. Keep in mind, while at WOT, the alternator (and the a/c) is switched off. So there isn't any loss while the ESC is engaged.
I knew that the a/c is shut off during acceleration, but I never heard of the alternator being disabled. I've been aware that the phantom system does not charge the batteries while engaged, but didn't know the car has circuitry to defeat the alternator. Learn something new every day.
mid_life_crisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 11:58 AM   #4335
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mid_life_crisis View Post
I knew that the a/c is shut off during acceleration, but I never heard of the alternator being disabled. I've been aware that the phantom system does not charge the batteries while engaged, but didn't know the car has circuitry to defeat the alternator. Learn something new every day.
Manufacturers are implementing any little extra fuel saving option they have and remove engine load from in use and running that engine drain in a no load situation is beneficial.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:12 PM   #4336
stevo585

Drives: White 2014 BRZ
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
How much battery capacity is needed to get the absolute most boost/highest motor rpm? Does anyone even know. I mean would 6 batteries be even better than 4? Where does it stop is there a certain amp-hour capacity. There should be a max out level.

I of course mean money is no option.
stevo585 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #4337
Luckrider
My Other Ride's a Jeep

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo585 View Post
How much battery capacity is needed to get the absolute most boost/highest motor rpm? Does anyone even know. I mean would 6 batteries be even better than 4? Where does it stop is there a certain amp-hour capacity. There should be a max out level.

I of course mean money is no option.
I am sure the system is getting close to the max boost limit at the current voltage. That really depends on what capacity the motor is being worked right now and how much power the motor is capable of drawing. Some friends and I have done motor swaps with battery changes in Nerf blasters for a college game and we have hit the max draw of the with the batteries we use. This means the batteries last a decent amount longer, but we can only make more power by increasing the voltage, not the amperage.
Luckrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:04 PM   #4338
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Reminder of an amusing statement from early on in this project.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FT_Monk View Post
This set up will work... for close to half a second, maybe less. Then the batteries are run down and the alternator is full fielded (become super heavy to turn). It is pay back time for the engine to give back all the power made half a second earlier. You can keep the throttle buried to avoid using engine power to charge the batteries, but 1 PSI will not do much and even that will soon drains the batteries. And please give me a break for saying this is equivalent to a NOS shot. It is no where near a 50 hp shot.
For the cost of this set up, you sure won't get much hp for any period of time.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to robwbright For This Useful Post:
DAEMANO (04-15-2014), HunterGreene (04-15-2014), raven1231 (04-15-2014), Sojhinn (04-15-2014), Winjr (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 02:21 PM   #4339
Gary in NJ

Drives: WR Blue BRZ, 240Z
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Now that is funny to read. A lot of hate not too long ago.

Gary in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 02:23 PM   #4340
robwbright

Drives: '13 BRZ Limited WRB Phantom ESC 1.5
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary in NJ View Post
Now that is funny to read. A lot of hate not too long ago.
Yea, but I'll admit that I'm a late comer to the thread, and I was skeptical until I read about 10 pages...

That said, I've asked Rob to put me on the list for the kit. I want the 1.5 pack for extra power and the convenience of keeping it all under the hood. My sub is already taking up enough of my trunk. LOL.

My father in law is an excellent mechanic and shifter kart racer and was recommending a safe 50 hp NOS setup as an alternative to doing a turbo/SC - because it's cheaper and more easily changed back to stock. Unfortunately, it is a 4th degree misdemeanor to have an open NOS bottle in a car in Ohio... so that went out the window.

When I showed him this thread, I was pleasantly surprised to find that he approved and considered this a reasonable equivalent substitute for the NOS system.
1997 Honda Accord Coupe
1995 Honda Prelude VTEC
robwbright is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
26$ / wtq, affordable boost, better than turbo, brz electric supercharger, do want, dumbass freddy, electric shrimpage, electric supercharger, electronic supercharger, epic thread tag, fanboy circle jerk!, freddy keyboardwarrior, frs electric supercharger, get a real blower, haters gonna hate, hows the battery life?, lol, moar powa, nos with battery, one gear race champion, only pulls hard once, phantom charge, pm-robftss to order!, release date=not yet, release it already!, released!, rice, shut up and take our $$$, snake oil claims, street only, super pursuit mode, the price isn't known yet, tq300 plzkkthxbai, wooshy noise, yes turbo is better, yes turbo is expensive